Desktop system for

fiora

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Hope someone can help.. on a budget of £50 to set up speakers on my desk to play music from my laptop. I went into Richer Sounds and they sold me JBL pebbles (Plug in and play with a USB) for 50. They said trial them for a week so I thought why not, took them home and was happy to not be playing music through my laptop speakers at long last. They sound ok.. But I just really want a stereo system. My friend's dad who is a record producer for classical music found her some for £50 on eBay so it must be possible...with the right knowledge! Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks everyone

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I compiled a list of suitable ebay buys but it won't let me post them, hits a spam filter.

Just get a sony 2.0 or seperately buy sony 2 way bookshelves and a cheap amp from sony, technics etc.

If you list your email I'll send the list I compiled

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Sorry Ive lost it, I copied it but then copied something else!

I'd do it again but I'm short on time until next week (I can help then).

But basically yer the 9.0's are great value for money. But you are not going to get an amp for £10! especially including delivery

If I were you I'd stretch the budget to £80ish.

Any amp by nad, rotel, marantz, arcam (eg alpha 1) will be great.

Something by technics, denon, sony, phllips etc will be fine.

Just keep looking.

If you want to stay at £50 then a sony stereo is your best bet IMO. Or try and get an amp for 30 from any make and some sony bookshelves.

But 9.0's plus a vintage amp will be real hifi entry level. Don't spend more than £1 on the rca cable, it will make no difference.

fiora

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I like the sound of real hifi entry level so I'm gonna give it a go!

Next thing, will just any amp by those brands do? I thought the speakers and the amp had to match somehow. And vintage as in second hand?

Then once I have amp, speakers and an rca cable I'm set?

Thanks again

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Have a look for one of the old Denon UD-M30/31 systems. eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-UD-M30-Micro-hifi-/141118704696?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Compact_Shelf_Stereos&hash=item20db548c38

You could sell off the cassette deck if you don't want it to get nearer your budget & the common volume control issue is relaltively easily fixed. The control just gets contaminated with the grease used for lubrication so just needs stripping & cleaning.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?27137-How-to-repair-a-Denon-Micro-system-with-faulty-volume-control

fiora

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. Just wondering what is the advantage of buying a hifi system instead of seperates?

I found a post on here that recommended

Yamaha DSP-A5: £3.20

Tannoy Revolution R1: £37.08

Cambridge Audio 340C: £21.00

Total: £61.28

Would it be worth trying to set something up like this?

I'm such a beginner I have a lot of questions, maybe I should just take a gamble but I want something I'll be happy with for a long time!

fiora

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
So far I have found an Arcam alpha 7 and wharfedale 9.0s, have no idea what the bids will go up to but both in my town so would avoid them having to be delivered.

A good match?

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
fiora said:
Just wondering what is the advantage of buying a hifi system instead of seperates?

In the case of the Denon I suggested, it's small, one box, reasonable quality & should be within budget. Plus there's no worrying about will this CD go with that amp.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Willferox said:
Possibly something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/M-Audio-Studiophile-Av30-Desktop-Speakers/dp/B0010B0BPW

There are several powered speakers similar to the M-Audio, Behringer for example, usually around or just under £100, but they are all blown into the weeds by this, at about £120.

At this price level a few pounds can make a lot of difference but the little Seiwins are exceptional value, cheap enough to just plug into a computer or mobile device, good enough, when properly mounted (on stands for example) to fill a decent sized room with a quality totally unexpected at the price.

Still, not exactly £50 and just about zero bling factor, good sound though.

248040_m.jpg

fiora

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone

As I'm just going to be playing music through my laptop, maybe it makes more sense just to get computer desktop speakers like the M-AUDIO ones or Seiwin... but I really want to pick up a £50 bargain on eBay! Not too fussed about brand new. So the Denon micro hifi might be the best option...

Also, I don't need anything too loud, I'm looking for something that can fill the room at a lowish volume if that makes any sense.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts