Denon X2700H overheat plus Wiim Pro Plus

lakelandstu70

Feb 24, 2022
Visit site
So, i swapped a Google Chromecast Audio 2 for a Wiim Pro Plus.... yes I noticed the difference,
but .. and a big but, I don't get to crank the volume up often, but I've had the AVR for coming up three years and cranked it up with TV, turntable, CD etc

Since I got the Wiim pro plus less than three weeks ago... the Denon has given an overheat warning twice!! Second time just now, it literally shut down. and still has the red is flashing light after 15 minutes

advice please?

twinkletoes

There are many reasons for over heating. The obvious, is it in a well ventilated area, to the obscure, speaker cables touching the chassis that have come loose through movement.

You’ll need to give far more detail that’s much more relevant to the amp (the WiiM will have very little to do with it), and run through exactly what you have done and what’s changed other the wiim

I take it you moved it to install the WiiM, well unhook it and see if the problem persists.

Check the speakers and there connections

Unhook everything and leave it on with the volume up a fair chunk see if it shuts down if it doesn’t start adding things back in starting with the speakers.

Check the amps internal fuses

Make sure there’s no burning smells

be methodical do one thing at a time. The problem is probably small if it’s only just started doing it.

lakelandstu70

Feb 24, 2022
Visit site
ok... so the setup has been in position for 3 years, with the Marantz Cd player, Rega turntable etc, and Sky and Tv..

I literally swapped the Aux input from the Chromecast to the Wiim Pro plus. (RCA). the rest are all cable-tied. the speakers and their cables have not moved, its a 5.1 system. No other input device other than the Wiim has caused this problem (so yes, I;ve been methodical) I have even run my MacBook Pro via a Mojo2 and HDMI at volume. Been through all of that... the only thing that has ever in 3 years caused an over heat is the Wiim Pro Plus... at volume, twice now. It is plugged into the same RCA the Google Chromecast was.

Last edited:

lakelandstu70

Feb 24, 2022
Visit site
There are many reasons for over heating. The obvious, is it in a well ventilated area, to the obscure, speaker cables touching the chassis that have come loose through movement.

You’ll need to give far more detail that’s much more relevant to the amp (the WiiM will have very little to do with it), and run through exactly what you have done and what’s changed other the wiim

I take it you moved it to install the WiiM, well unhook it and see if the problem persists.

Unhook everything and leave it on with the volume up a fair chunk see if it shuts down if it doesn’t start adding things back in starting with the speakers.

be methodical do one thing at a time. The problem is probably small if it’s only just started doing it.
I take it you moved it to install the WiiM, well unhook it and see if the problem persists. nope

lakelandstu70

Feb 24, 2022
Visit site

Check the speakers and their connections yep, they had; n't moved and no other input device is causing this problem

lakelandstu70

Feb 24, 2022
Visit site

and no burning smells..literally, Denon menu comes up with over heat warning (first time) or just shutdown...

lakelandstu70

Feb 24, 2022
Visit site

I do appreciate all the suggestions... should have said I'm not a novice... my only thought is the signal is so strong from the Wiim Pro Plus. is that the Denon is struggling with it (aux input). ?? or maybe it because the Wiim is so good I;ve cranked the volume up higher (probably true)

ok... so the setup has been in position for 3 years, with the Marantz Cd player, Rega turntable etc, and Sky and Tv..

I literally swapped the Aux input from the Chromecast to the Wiim Pro plus. (RCA). the rest are all cable-tied. the speakers and their cables have not moved, its a 5.1 system. No other input device other than the Wiim has caused this problem (so yes, I;ve been methodical) I have even run my MacBook Pro via a Mojo2 and HDMI at volume. Been through all of that... the only thing that has ever in 3 years caused an over heat is the Wiim Pro Plus... at volume, twice now. It is plugged into the same RCA the Google Chromecast was.
You could try connecting via a digital cable rather than the RCA cables I guess....

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Initial thoughts would be you're overdriving the amp and it's running out of current. However, there was another report recently where a CDP was getting very hot and shutting down, there was a Wiim in the chain there too.

twinkletoes

I do appreciate all the suggestions... should have said I'm not a novice... my only thought is the signal is so strong from the Wiim Pro Plus. is that the Denon is struggling with it (aux input). ?? or maybe it because the Wiim is so good I;ve cranked the volume up higher (probably true)
I guess the question should be what was the volume reading when it went off?

Novice or not mistakes are made we're all human. Im just running through the basics. As any tech support would do . It doesn't take a lot to make a connection unhappy when introducing new stuff and it's always worth a check. Could be pure coincidence that this happened, family pet playing with wires and all sorts.

Fuse's inside, as there slow burn and normally made of glass are a great indicator of a shorts thats why a said check them takes 2 mins with a torch normally through the case but you do you.

Anyhow I own the Wiim myself going into a chord dac running at 1v I had to check that as the input signal from the Wiim is, shall we say very robust. It has more presents than my CD player going into the same dac I certainly dont need to turn it up as loud even with the 1v output from the chord if that makes sense.

I think you can set the wiim output voltage of the Wiim id certainly drop it to 1v and go from there.

The second point would be my best guess. If you’re getting a cleaner signal it’s easier to turn the wick up and not realise how loud it is. But I’m still surprised it would overheat unless you’re filling very big room.

Aux inputs are usually capable of coping with high inputs, and it’s only the output that overheats. Important question: how much higher is the Wii m output than the Chromecast? A bit, a lot, hardly any different? Is there any hum or buzz introduced and that might upset the amp?

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Fuse's inside, as there slow burn and normally made of glass are a great indicator of a shorts thats why a said check them takes 2 mins with a torch normally through the case but you do you.
Most modern amps don't have glass slow blow fuses inside. They have a fuse protecting the input/power supply section. Overheating of the power amp is monitored and controlled digitally.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
If the WiiM's LINE out level output was too hot (which it is not) then it would be affecting the pre amp section and should not have any effect on the power amp overheating (and subsequently shutting down).
However, you mentioned that you are using the 'AUX in' on the amp, why? You should be plugging the WiiM into a LINE input. The WiiM is perfectly compatible with consumer LINE In voltage. Consumer LINE level is a set standard at -10dBV.

It sounds like it is your power amp section that is overheating and this has nothing to do with your pre amp section. Overloading the pre amp would simply result in distortion, unless there was a short somewhere, in which case the amp would hopefully be protected and shut down.
Unless you have some kind of a short going on, it seems that you are simply turning up the volume too loud... or, having to turn it up to compensate for the fact that you are connecting the WiiM to the wrong inputs.
Also, there is no such device as a Chromecast 'audio' 2. The Chromecast 2 has an HDMI output. The original Chromecast audio 'puck' (which I own) has an output which can either be used as an optical out or a 3.5mm analog out. The analog out is actually designed to go into the AUX input of a device, although it still works if it is plugged into a LINE in but this is not ideal.

If the WiiM's LINE out level output was too hot (which it is not) then it would be affecting the pre amp section and should not have any effect on the power amp overheating (and subsequently shutting down).
However, you mentioned that you are using the 'AUX in' on the amp, why? You should be plugging the WiiM into a LINE input. The WiiM is perfectly compatible with consumer LINE In voltage. Consumer LINE level is a set standard at -10dBV.

It sounds like it is your power amp section that is overheating and this has nothing to do with your pre amp section. Overloading the pre amp would simply result in distortion, unless there was a short somewhere, in which case the amp would hopefully be protected and shut down.
Unless you have some kind of a short going on, it seems that you are simply turning up the volume too loud... or, having to turn it up to compensate for the fact that you are connecting the WiiM to the wrong inputs.
Also, there is no such device as a Chromecast 'audio' 2. The Chromecast 2 has an HDMI output. The original Chromecast audio 'puck' (which I own) has an output which can either be used as an optical out or a 3.5mm analog out. The analog out is actually designed to go into the AUX input of a device, although it still works if it is plugged into a LINE in but this is not ideal.
Surely the AUX port is simply another input for line level devices with a source impedance of around 600ohm?
Anyway, regardless of which input is used, it shouldn't be causing the amp to overheat.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1 and Gray

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Surely the AUX port is simply another input for line level devices with a source impedance of around 600ohm?
Anyway, regardless of which input is used, it shouldn't be causing the amp to overheat.
This could be true and if so its a badly labelled input. If you read the manual for the X2700H it mentions nothing about this input or gives the user any specs for it... the only thing it illustrates under 'connections' re: this input is a video camcorder or game console connected to it. Denon randomly flip flops from using the terms AUX in and LINE in on their gear.
We know that it's either an overhearing issue, a speaker connection issue or the units amplifier circuit has failed. The rapidity of the flashing light was never mentioned buy the OP.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
So, i swapped a Google Chromecast Audio 2 for a Wiim Pro Plus.... yes I noticed the difference,
but .. and a big but, I don't get to crank the volume up often, but I've had the AVR for coming up three years and cranked it up with TV, turntable, CD etc

Since I got the Wiim pro plus less than three weeks ago... the Denon has given an overheat warning twice!! Second time just now, it literally shut down. and still has the red is flashing light after 15 minutes

advice please?
How fast is the red light blinking, once every 0.5 seconds or once every 2 seconds? Why would you leave the light flashing for 15 minutes?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts