Denon the denon dead?

skr1

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
With the discussion on hdmi cable taking route/root on the forums again .I would like to ressurect the Denon 2500 blu-ray debate i missed some of the discussions so i have questions that may have been aired so please... over look my failure to keep up to date.

Forums suggest problems with the unit from owners?

Firmware updates required?

Denon not responding to customer complaints?

Did WHFI team get a response?

I cancelled my order due to Denons response to the issues raised. So is this Denon a Dead ..Denon..?

Please give a calm response.... Thanks Steve

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
First up i havnt had (up to now) any problems with my Denon & ive had it for around 5mths.

Firmwares? i havnt had to do any since ive had my player although i have heard that i may have to with the release of the new BD LIVE titles from universal, i havnt yet tried any of these titles so cant comment on that but the majority of BD players need firmware at some point.

Customer complaints? i havnt heard of any bad customer service from them i mean why should they? i havnt personally dealt with Denon but i know a few who have & havnt had any bad feedback.

And to me Steve the Denon is far from dead, to me its the best out there for the price & more, the bluray performance has to be seen to be believed & standard Dvd playback is the best ive come across as its absolutely 1st rate.

Sliced Bread

I cannot comment on the 2500 as I've never used one, however I have dealt with Denons customer service. When my amp broke down I sent e-mail after e-mail after e-mail. None were ever replied to. I also phoned time and time again. All I got was an answer phone every time (over the space of a month). No one EVER returned my calls.

That said I do love there products.

skr1

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Thankyou jase .

What hi fi gave a very good report, Jase you report the same view .

What stumbled me was the reaction of some owners of the 2500 who were clearly unhappy with the Blu-ray player made worse by a lack of customer support from denon.

I find the forums useful for gaining knowledge on equipment Hence the thread.

A powerful tool for good or bad, Perhaps dead was the wrong term. Thanks

A

Anonymous

Jase, you should try Hellboy II and see how that goes. I've just bought a 2500BT and up until now was working fine until I put Hellboy II in. It froze a couple of times and funnily enough it's a Universal disc. I'm interested to hear the results. Cheers.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Incidentally (and this isn't in defence of Denon's apparent inability to reply to emails), if you have a customer support issue on the Denon 2500BT you should be contacting your retailer, not Denon....

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Incidentally (and this isn't in defence of Denon's apparent inability to reply to emails), if you have a customer support issue on the Denon 2500BT you should be contacting your retailer, not Denon....
Interesting point there Clare, as when i owned the pioneer lx70a bluray player & i was having loads of trouble with that etc some one told me the same thing about that & thats you should contact your dealer with whom you purchased it from however, when i did that the retailer told me you should contact Pioneer directly, when i phoned pioneer they were very supportive (not that it made a blind bit of difference as i never did get the pioneer to work properly) i did tell them that the hifi store told me to get in touch with you & they said "thats fine"

As my HIFI store told me that they just sell it as is & that for any future firmware you should contact pioneer for information about it (as im sure they would say the same about Denon)as they dont deal with firmware issues etc which to me would make sense personally, but they did say if im not happy with it theyll gladly refund me my cash back or do an exchange.

As i would of thought thats why the likes of Denon & say pioneer have a "customer support" direct phone number to call, anyway its just my thought.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Ah, but Pioneer has a different set-up to Denon - who claims to invest heavily in dealer training etc (all part of the same reasoning why it doesn't allow its higher-end products to be sold online).

Denon does, however, sell its 'plug and play' products - eg D-M37 microsystem, headphones etc - more widely, so would offer customer support directly for these.

Why the heck i'm having to explain this - and not some clear statement on the Denon website - is baffling, though
emotion-7.gif

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Dougie G:Jase, you should try Hellboy II and see how that goes. I've just bought a 2500BT and up until now was working fine until I put Hellboy II in. It froze a couple of times and funnily enough it's a Universal disc. I'm interested to hear the results. Cheers.Like i say Dougie i havnt yet tried any of the BD LIVE discs from universal as yet simply because i havnt wanted any of the released titles, although KING KONG ~(peter jacksons) has got a release date for the end of january & thats universal BD LIVE, so ill be waiting for that, ill try & get a copy of hellboy 2 to try.

All youll need Dougie if its freezing on these titles is the latest firmware as im sure that should solve the problem.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
Ah, but Pioneer has a different set-up to Denon - who claims to invest heavily in dealer training etc (all part of the same reasoning why it doesn't allow its higher-end products to be sold online).

Denon does, however, sell its 'plug and play' products - eg D-M37 microsystem, headphones etc - more widely, so would offer customer support directly for these.

Why the heck i'm having to explain this - and not some clear statement on the Denon website - is baffling, though
emotion-7.gif

Sorry Clare, i didnt mean for you to explain anything im just as baffled as you.

At least now i know that pioneer has a different set up to denon, learn something new everyday !

A

Anonymous

jase fox:All youll need Dougie if its freezing on these titles is the latest firmware as im sure that should solve the problem.

Thanks Jase. Currently investigating the firmware situation. Cheers.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Dougie G:
jase fox:All youll need Dougie if its freezing on these titles is the latest firmware as im sure that should solve the problem.

Thanks Jase. Currently investigating the firmware situation. Cheers.
Try let me know how you get on Dougie, & if you get the latest firmware & install it youll have to let me know if it solves the freezing problem as ill prob no doubt need it ha

Cheers

skr1

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

emotion-7.gif

Dont know ? But I wish Denon would. Onkyo had problems with the 905 receiver and made the effort to put it right with excellent customer care and support. (Firmware) . So im some- what puzzled at Denons response to customers emails.

From the forums its clearly not an Isolated case. Steve.

skr1

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
skr1:Clare Newsome:

emotion-7.gif

Dont know ? But I wish Denon would. Onkyo had problems with the 905 receiver and made the effort to put it right with excellent customer care and support. (Firmware) . So im some- what puzzled at Denons response to customers emails.

From the forums its clearly not an Isolated case. Steve.

Noticed on the forums some activity from Denon . Good hope all is well ! And the firmware does the trick please keep us posted. Steve

Murdo Mathewson

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hello all.

If anyone has any questions for Denon, then feel free to drop me an email at murdo@andygilesassociates.co.uk. I handle UK PR for Denon,and to my knowledge, the DVD2500-BT is performing very well with owners. I can also vouch for the hard-working Denon support staff - I have seem them in action!

Thanks

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Dougie G:Jase, you should try Hellboy II and see how that goes. I've just bought a 2500BT and up until now was working fine until I put Hellboy II in. It froze a couple of times and funnily enough it's a Universal disc. I'm interested to hear the results. Cheers.

Dougie G

Suspect the problem might be with the disc, rather than the player. Have had problems playing Hellboy II on my Yamaha BD-S2900 - it keeps freezing half way through. All other Blu-ray discs have played fine on it so far.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I realise my contract is with the dealer, and the dealers may have been trained etc, but I had a query of a technical nature a few months back and was specific to probably a handful of models and only arose because their manuals are so very poorly drafted (it looks like they were written in Turkish and translated into English, via Latvian, by a free web-based translator), so I thought - "customer care" would be "care for customers".

3 emails, no response - not even a "please contact your dealer in the first instance". It left me feeling frustrated and to be honest, when I'm in the market to upgrade again, I'd consider other makes before Denon.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Murdo Mathewson:
,and to my knowledge, the DVD2500-BT is performing very well with owners.
Ill 2nd this ! My Denon 2500bt is performing beautifully since i downloaded the latest firmware 1.118.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi everyone. I was a bit down reading about how peoplee thought the S5000ES was better until I watched a DVD of Star Wars Attack of the Clones in the weekend. The picture was so unbelievably good that it banished all negative thoughts from my head for eternity! There is NO WAY any SD picture could beat this and be visible to the naked eye!!

Incidentally, I also watched Hellboy 2 over the weekend and aside from being a rubbish movie, played perfectly. I also have firmware 118, but whether this is the difference, I don't know....

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Davo2008:
Hi everyone. I was a bit down reading about how peoplee thought the S5000ES was better until I watched a DVD of Star Wars Attack of the Clones in the weekend. The picture was so unbelievably good that it banished all negative thoughts from my head for eternity! There is NO WAY any SD picture could beat this and be visible to the naked eye!!

Incidentally, I also watched Hellboy 2 over the weekend and aside from being a rubbish movie, played perfectly. I also have firmware 118, but whether this is the difference, I don't know....
Hi Dave,

Are you saying you watched attack of the clones DVD on the S5000ES ?

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jase! No, I watched it on 2500BT. I don't own the Sony, but was absolutely awestuck by the Denon picture! So even momentarily considering an upgrade would be pointless, as I don't think it would be an upgrade at all!

A

Anonymous

I've been using my 2500BT for the last 6 months or so without any issues at all. Picture is amazing on both bluray & SD dvd's and not had issues with any discs i've tried so far.

Murdo Mathewson

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hello Big Aura

Sorry to hear, you haven't received a reply. Please email or call me with details of your query - I will ensure you get an answer. You can find my contact details at www.andygilesassociates.co.uk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts