Denon D-M40 with SC-M40 speakers

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

Based on the review in WhatHiFi I took a risk and bought Denon D-M40 micro HiFi system with its SC-M40 speakers. I use this system with Inacustik Star 1.5mm2 speaker cables.

So I have listened to it for 3 days (~12h) and I find it rather interesting. It sounds very nice with CDs and Iphone/Ipad, :) but lacking dynamics and scale with FM radio… I haven’t tried analog and digital (optical) inputs.

After first hour of listening to D-M40 I changed speakers to Dali Zensor 1, but did not hear marginal differences. The sound from Dalis were brighter with stronger treble, but today I realise that I didn’t switch speaker optimiser off… my mistake…

So my questions to WhatHiFi and other members are:

- how many hours would be burning in period for receiver and original speakers? Is it noticeable improvement in sound after burning in period?

- what settings do you prefer with original speakers and with others – this speaker optimiser on or off?

- Which Bluetooth receiver you recommend to add to this Denon D-M40 micro system (better with optical output)?

Thank you for opinions and recomendations! :)

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Regisss, If you have tried the Dali Zensor 1 speakers and found the sound quality is roughly as good as the Denon speakers with no real noticeable difference, then you might as well keep the original Denon speakers

If you had bought the Denon Ceol N9 all in one instead, that would have had bluetooth as well as internet radio along with a cd player and network capability etc and may have met your needs better, I myself have the Denon Ceol N8 with Dali Zensor 1's which I think is an excellent system (But the Denon Ceol N8 does not have bluetooth)

Maybe others can help with a bluetooth add on that you require etc

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Snooker said:
Regisss, If you have tried the Dali Zensor 1 speakers and found the sound quality is roughly as good as the Denon speakers with no real noticeable difference, then you might as well keep the original Denon speakers

If you had bought the Denon Ceol N9 all in one instead, that would have had bluetooth as well as internet radio along with a cd player and network capability etc and may have met your needs better, I myself have the Denon Ceol N8 with Dali Zensor 1's which I think is an excellent system (But the Denon Ceol N8 does not have bluetooth)

Maybe others can help with a bluetooth add on that you require etc

I tried with Zensors 1 but I forgot to switch off this speaker optimiser (it is special optimiser for Denon speakers)... Actually I am switching it off on original speakers too. But it is rather hard to decide which settings sounds better... :)

About bluetooth receiver... I am looking at Crystal Acoustics Blu-DAC... But wouldn't it be too expensive this Denon micro HiFi?

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Snooker said:
You can buy the Denon Ceol N9 new for £299 without speakers and is the next level up sound wise to your Denon DM40

In my country there is ~180 EUR difference between D-M40 and CEOL N9 (with speakers) and there is no WiFi in my parents' house. So I decided to go for D-M40 + bluetooth...

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
My new Denon D-M40 is playing very nice, but still I have two non answered questions...

- what settings do you prefer with original speakers – this speaker optimiser on or off? What about other speakers?

and

- which Bluetooth receiver would be the best (recommended) option to add to this Denon D-M40 micro system (with optical output)?

Thank you in advance! :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I think the problem is no-one here has the system so they're struggling to help you with specific questions and can only answer generally. That said, someone may be able to help you with your Bluetooth enquiry; if you don't get much of an answer in this thread it might be worth asking just that question in a new thread :)

DannyB

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Okay heres a suggestion,

QED uPLAY puck receiver - this would go in the analog connection on the back of your denon and stream apt X bluetooth

Or why not try the new Chromecast Audio?? Only £30

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts