Denon AHD2000 to 5k/7k?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Some time ago I experimented with a pair of Denon AHD7000's and 'didn't like them' pretty quickly with my Linn Classik. Since then I have bought a dedicated Heaphone amp and tried a pair of my friends AHD2000 through it and was utterly blown away by them and bought some.

I am so impressed by them that I am wondering whether I should have tried the AHD5000's or 7000's with it to see their full ability. As I note that they are being discontinued I am seriously considering buying a pair whilst I can.

My question is whether an amp'd pair of the 2000's is likely to be bettered by either of them? I have read a lot which seems to suggest that there's not much difference and a lot that says there is so need to make a call as to whether it's worth upgrading.

Anyone got a view? Thanks a lot in advance.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
IMO there is a larger difference between the D2k and D5k than there is between the D5k and D7K versions. Having said that I purchased a pair if D5k's and have wished that I had just bought the D7k's......

If you think the D2k's sound good you really need to hear the other two, they are better all round, definitely not so flabby in the bass region for starters. But in saying all this they don't really take much amping, they even sound good from an iPhone.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I too think you need to test them yourself to be happy, but I would recommend the D7000. I have tried the D2000 in shops and think they are pretty damn nice. I love my D7000's a heck of a lot but they are mostly listened to well amplified. I have never regreted getting them and never more so than when I listened to a bunch of high end headphones recently (HD700, HD800, W5000, PS1000). My new favourite is the PS1000 but the Denon's are really close both in quality and signature, about £1000 less (which is better spent on a DAC & amp), more comfortable and more versatile. The D7000 gives me epic bass (you have to like warm signatures - if you like the D2000 you'll be fine) but it's so well controlled and the detail and soundstage when amplified well is really stunning!

Currently pairing the D7000 with the Yulong D100mkII DAC and Shonyun SH-301 Pro amp which is the best I have heard so far! There is a link to my review of the D7000 in my signature and since writing that I want to redo it as it doesn't sound positive enough.

I find the D7000 really like a good DAC and amp (not for volume, just for quality), they suck really bad running off my android phone, true the iPhone is better but nothing compared to something like the Yulong D100 mkII, it's a pretty great pairing for the D7000, just a little bit of warmth to make the bass blissful (a lot of DACs ruin it by being too lean) and with lots of great detail and a stunning soundstage!! Amplifiers are probably even more important but the Yulong does a very good job on it's own, just don't pick anything that runs off USB power!!!

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks guys I appreciate that. Sounds like the 7000's are the way to go and I am now kicking myself at sending them back so quickly. I h am not sure whether I can mention third party sites on here for price comparison purposes so will refrain but a quick google will turn up a couple of USA based retailers who claim to have a UK presence and are selling them much heaped than any of the UK retailers.

Are these worth a go or would you stick to UK based sellers? They are in short supply and very expensive.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend sticking to a UK based company. The US ones could end up costing you customs which will be painful and then if something goes wrong sending them back will cost you much more even if they allow you to do it. Way too risky for something so pricey if you ask me.

I got mine from Advanced MP3 Players but I noticed that they and Amazon have removed them now. I can't even see any listed on eBay although I am sure some will turn up soon. WHF never got a chance to test any.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Yeah Quadpatch that was my gut feel too really. I am gonna have to pay for them and hope it will be worth it as, if I like them, I will sell the D2k's as I see no point keeping both really.

I'll have a scout about and see what I can get.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
If I see anything interesting I will post back here to let you know so keep an eye out.

I do remember your first experiments with the D7000 now Paul. You gave them a try pretty soon after I had just bought them and I was surprised that you didn't like them. I thought you moved on to some Audio Technica 1000X's and then something much cheaper and were happy. Was that right? What happened? I see you have some Beyerdynamic DT990's now, did you get those since?

I have tried a few since then too, I tried a bunch of other high end headphones but the isolation on all of them sucks so I will leave them for home and for now I am well happy with the Denon's but for work I am looking to get some Audio Technica ATH-M50's to replace the horribly bass shy AKG K550's.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Yep that's right but after trying the D2K's I am really keen to get hold of a pair of the 7's wth my amp. I am really struggling in the UK as it looks like my ony option is an imorter though not from the USa - can I mention the sites on here?

I still have the DT990's and love them as an open back can - suites me really well.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I thoguth that hifi headphones had some but now that I look they are out of stock and the listed price is a bit high!

I was tempted to try the 600ohm DT990's the other day as I saw them below £200.

I guess the places you are looking at ship from Hong Kong? You could try and mention them here, see what happens.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Yeah I have a couple of options left to try and get a set and failing that it's taking a chance on one of the places you mention: based in Hong Kong. Surely some of them must be legit. Out of courtesy to WHF (and also because I enjoy this forum and don't wanna get banned!), all I'll say about the particular site is Jack All - read into that what you will but any personal experiences or advice welcome.

Ref the DT990s I have the 250 ohm version and I love them thru my Graham Slee Novo. Extremely comfortable so my advice would be..... Get em :)

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Cheerss Paul! I am toying with the idea of getting these instead of the ATH-M50s to replace my AKG-K550 but it's a tough one as they won't be so good for the office.

I know the company you're hinting at there but I've not bought from them so I can't help. It's amazing how fast they have dissappeared, almost like Denon have been getting rid of them for those horrible looking new models to not have any competition from themselves :p.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi again. As you said earlier I 'had' a pair of ATHM50's and, whilst they were/are extremely good there was just 'something' missing for me. The Beyers are very different to the AT's but in a better way to be honest - I find them to be quite an effortless listen and a massive variance on the AHD2000's.

Where are you based? If I can help you out having a listen I will do.

Re the Denon 7k's I am on the last throw of the dice as a mate of mine lives in the USA and he can possibly get me a genuine pair - I'll know this week. Failing that he can definitely get me a pair of AHD5000's.

Failing that it's the W1000x's which is my last option.

Cheers

Paul.

PS: Just ordered a pair of Phonak Perfect Bass 012 IEM's for iPod - first foray with Phonak :)

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Ha, aren't headphones a tricky thing? I must say that my tastes have wandered around a bit but I have always wanted to go back to the Denon D7k's. It's not the sharpest or fastest sound in the world but it's just so enjoyable.

Have you considered the Audeze LCD-2 btw? If your friend is going to America it might be worth while getting him to pick up those, I hear great things about those, would love to try some myself but getting them over here is a pain... how much are the Grado PS1000's over there btw? *evil grin*

If I were you I would hold out for the Denon D7k's if you can wait long enough I am sure some opportunity will arise.

Thanks for the offer of helping me out with the DT990. I live in London btw, how about yourself?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi again. Well, success as I have managed to get a pair of AHD7000s for around £550 and my friend will bring them over when he is next here in August so no silly shipping fees either - am really pleased :). Will take a look at the Audeze too though don't really know much about them at all.

Afraid I am in the NW so that may be kinda difficult unfortunately.

Can't wait for August :).

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Congratulations on your new cans, I think you will like them :)

There is an Audeze dealer (actually the only UK dealer) in Stockton on Tees, it's called Decent Audio. I don't know how near that is to you.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
Hi again. Well, success as I have managed to get a pair of AHD7000s for around £550 and my friend will bring them over when he is next here in August so no silly shipping fees either - am really pleased :). Will take a look at the Audeze too though don't really know much about them at all.

Afraid I am in the NW so that may be kinda difficult unfortunately.

Can't wait for August :).
Yay! Congrats on sorting out a new D7000! Let us know when you get it how you feel about them, I'm curious.

No worries about not being able to help with the DT990, thanks anyway for the offer, it was very kind :).

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
No problem I would have been happy to help but my advice is stil to try a set of the DT990s when you can. I have always thought that they are a really underrated set of cans.

Now, the dilemma I have is whether to finally take the plunge and order some ultrasone pro900s....

Hmm. Am very tempted indeed. :)

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Oh cool, you are on a mission again huh Paul :).

Do let me know what you think of the Ultrasones won't you? Also if you can let me know which one out of that and the DT990 you think is a better buy that would be cool :).

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
eggontoast said:
Congratulations on your new cans, I think you will like them :) There is an Audeze dealer (actually the only UK dealer) in Stockton on Tees, it's called Decent Audio. I don't know how near that is to you.

Thanks very much I am sure I will. The Audeze's have me curious - do you own a pair or what's your view of them?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
quadpatch said:
Oh cool, you are on a mission again huh Paul :).

Do let me know what you think of the Ultrasones won't you? Also if you can let me know which one out of that and the DT990 you think is a better buy that would be cool :).

Ha - I really am at the moment and sure will let you know what I think. At the price point for open backs something has to be good to shake my faith in the DT990's but will report back next week.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Cool! I just noticed that Beyerdynamic have a new Tesla one out too (T90), which is an open back. I am curious but I'm not £500 curious :p.

As for Audeze, I know the guy who makes the Epiphany DACs has a pair and really likes them. I really want some one day, I have heard great things about the bass and signature in general.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Again

Quick input for you regarding the Pro 900/DT990 issue. As you are already aware they are completely different animals not least because they are open/closed but also because of their dynamics. Having lived with the DT990's for a while now I have to be careful as I am unashamedly biased toward them but not to the point where they are unbeatable.

The difference between the two is night and day. The Beyers subtle, warm, full yet possessing a level of detail which is hard to beat at the price point (I have the 250 ohm) and the Ultrasones loud, full on yet giving you a soundstage which is utterly breathtaking (apart from the highs which I found a little harsh on occasion).

For my muscial tastes, despite the Ultrasones REALLY full on bass, the Beyers just give me what I want. They are like drying yourself after a shower with one of those really thick comfortable towels - dead nice and just do the job really well despite knowing that it's not the best towel in the world. They are also simply the most comfortable cans I have ever used - and I mean ever. If you like your music fast and full on with bass that bulges your eyeballs then get the Pro 900's - they won't disappoint. The Beyers do everything well withot blowing your balls off with anything in particular - they obviously need an amp though.

Bottom line 'for me' is that the 900's don't do enough for me to replace the DT990's with them but dont think you are comparing apples with apples to be fair.

I am now seriously contemplating a separate set of DT990's with 32 ohm impedence just for my iPod - or am I being utterly ridiculous? It's been suggested that the DT990's (250 ohm) with a Fiio E11 would be as good as a separate pair at 32 ohms. Any views anyone?
smiley-cool.gif

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey Paul, thanks for your thought on the DT990 vs Pro900! I feel very tempted by the DT990 I must say. I noticed a couple of days ago that you can totally customise the colours on them if you order direct from Beyerdynamic Germany. Here is a link:

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/at-home/hifi-manufaktur/dt-990-manufaktur.html

Here are the colour choices that I like...

DT990_Manufaktur.JPG

I am seriously contemplating the 600 ohm version (which is a customisation option on these, as well as 32 or 250 ohm) because I have heard people swear by the difference if you can amp them well. All my other headphones are relatively easy to drive so I would really like something with a high impedance for a change. It would be great as a test example for reviews of amps if nothing else and I certainly won't have any issues driving them in general. I can't really comment on the 32 ohm version vs the 250 ohm driving from a Fiio as I've never heard the E11. Are you thinking of getting the E11? I guess your Novo is not portable right?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts