Denon 3313 or Marantz 7007 blueray player

Mtenga

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
The denon is popular amongst some but I did not like it and sold mine. Issues such as poor streaming, menu system that did not work properly and too frequently not being able to access netflix made it bad in practice. Of course the picture was very good but then it is on the 50 quid player in my bedroom.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I notice you have the 450, what are your thoughts on this player. My 71 was a top player and would prefer another pioneer but the marantz and denon seem to be the popular choice...

Both Denon & Marantz are made by the same manufacturer and share parts. Performance will be similar. Just buy what's cheaper. Superfi are doing a 10% discount at the moment (check gel's post in hit deals section, which will bring the Marantz down to £450.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The newer Pioneers are not all that - your BDT500 should be giving you great pic and sound.

Make sure you have it setup properly - disabling analogue audio and secondary audio - and selecting the correct video settings - chroma 444 and chroma upsampling to advanced.

Its a better player than the 71.

I think the Marantz is better than both of them - not as sharp as the BDT500 but I think more organic looking - but thats not factoring in that all BD's are the same....... just my opinion

Mtenga

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
The Pioneer is a good player with dual HDMI outs and SACD support. Its a transport so no MC analogue. Unusually you miss the first three or four seconds of all material and also there is a nasty gurgling noise on booting it up. But build qualiy is good enough for the price. Its superior to the Denon in every way other than build and silence, though that is not to suggest the Pioneer is a loud player in anyway.

I also used to have a BDT500 and it was a good player for me personally bar the lack of SACD support.

I'd just buy the cheapest one that has the features and build that you require. PQ they are all much of a muchness and paying five hundred or a grand is not going to improve your bluray experience one bit. As I said the 500 quid that I paid for the Denon gave me no improvement in PQ over the 50 quid Panasonic I have in the bedroom.

D

Deleted member 2457

I am getting tempted to buy another Blu-Ray player! Lol. No gel, no! :grin:

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
With the new Panasonics TV's you will struggle to better the newer Pansonic BD PLayers - because they have the option for advanced Chroma Up Sampling which if you read up sharpens the image, not using sharpness or anything crude like that - it to do with the processing of the image coming off a 4.2.0 Bd Disc and its a clear improvement over not using it on the player.

I have only compared The BDT500 against the Maramntz 7007 on a 65VT65 on a different system to mine - but I did calibrate it to pretty much exactly the same as mine so it will lok very much the same.

Only difference HDMI Cables and his goes through a Pioneer LX83 - mine goes through the Meridian HD621.

I sit at a different disatnce - the height and angle of the screen is slightly different as well.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
The Denon 3313 all day for me!!

It's by far the best quality picture I've seen & I've tried alot of players, makes me shake my head from side to side when I hear folk say "It's an Ok picture or It's good ! I'd like to see what there comparing it too???

It totally blew me away when I first saw the quality of this player, as a previous Denon 2500BT owner I never thought I could be anymore impressed, until this machine.

It's alright people judging it for It's problems with streaming etc & not being able to always connect to Netflix, but that certainly "to me" doesn't justify not having the player. I've always connected to Netflix without a problem, although I can't comment on the streaming capabilities as I don't use it for that, besides I bought a "bluray player" to watch, well, bluray's & to get the best possible Picture & sound quality for that with which is what I have achieved with the denon.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Just reinstalled the firmware on the 71 and it's back up and running. Not sure why this happened, but I'm really happy it's fixed because the 71 is a top player. I've set the 500 up correctly and it isn't as good as the 71. It might be old and slow but it has the quality....

Think I will upgrade to the 3313 when funds are available and have the 500 on ebay, so won't be long!

:cheers:

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
Just reinstalled the firmware on the 71 and it's back up and running. Not sure why this happened, but I'm really happy it's fixed because the 71 is a top player. I've set the 500 up correctly and it isn't as good as the 71. It might be old and slow but it has the quality....

Think I will upgrade to the 3313 when funds are available and have the 500 on ebay, so won't be long!

:cheers:

I am thinking about doing the same.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
The 500 has just sold on ebay. Just found a 3313 for £450 at Peter Tyson .and will go nice with my 2113 amp and I can use the ipad remote app for both. Then I'll get the 71 on ebay and should pretty much get near to my money back, hopefully!

go on Gel, you know you want to... :)

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
The 500 has just sold on ebay. Just found a 3313 for £450 at Peter Tyson .and will go nice with my 2113 amp and I can use the ipad remote app for both. Then I'll get the 71 on ebay and should pretty much get near to my money back, hopefully!

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:

:grin:

I have put a email into David at Frank Harvey, just waiting to hear now.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Course he wants too, ha

If you both get one I'd be surprised if your not impressed ! It's addictive, I've gone through loads of my discs testing the quality, It's like watching a whole new version of the film :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I am getting tempted to buy another Blu-Ray player! Lol. No gel, no! :grin:

Crikey Gel, don't do it.
smiley-surprised.gif

As I keep saying, replacing your BDP offers negligible improvement at best. That money can be far more effectively spent on calibration.

We're talking about the difference between scrutinising performance for differences that may not exist, and clearly identifiable improvements in every area of picture quality.

Gives Jules a call. He's close to you, cheaper than everyone else, extremely thorough, a nice bloke, and offers discounts to fellow Norwich fans. OK, I made that last bit up; but that shouldn't stand in your way of becoming the latest member of the calibration club.

As you know, I've had some issues with my TV, none of which have anything to do with calibration, and I still highly recommend getting it done. I know you like a bright picture, but a day mode calibration will coax more brightness from your TV than you're currently getting.

You've arguably got the best TV ever made, with the exception of prohibitively priced first generation large screen OLED models, and you're not seeing it at anything close to its best.

Do you really think gel is looking for an improvement in picture strapped? He loves gadgets, and that's the only reason. So far, he's had a Marantz UD7007, Oppo 103, Pioneer LX55 and even Cambridge Audio but returned or sold them all. The Denon shares its components with Marantz, so performance is going to be the same (don't want to get into argument about performance difference between blu ray players; you already know what my views are ;) ).

People egging him to upgrade his player do not know his history. He's just lost £100-150 couple of months ago selling his nearly new Oppo because he wanted money to buy an iPad! Buying a new player now doesn't make sense to me at all. But that's his money, his choice.

Gel, if you decide to buy the player, please let me know when you're planning to sell it, as I will be upgrading my system in the coming months. You know how to contact me.

TRENDING THREADS