Denon 2808 for £599.99 Is it worth it?

Sliced Bread

When the Denon 2808 was reviewed, it was given 4 stars but that was when it was priced at £900. This receiver is now available at £600. Do you consider this receiver good at this price or do think it'll be out performed by Onkyo's cheaper range (obviously not the Onkyo 875). Thanks

A

Anonymous

I have the 3808 and if that is anything to go by, then the 2808 is a pretty easy choice.

Best to try and find a dealer with both units(not easy around my way) and try them against each other.

A

Anonymous

I was also considering the Denon 3808 but couldn't convince myself that I needed the extra features (networking, 4 HDMI inputs, 2 HDMI outputs, slightly more power) so much that it would warrant an extra £500 spend!

I bought the Denon 2808 in black for £600 and am very pleased with it. Nice understated looks, great sound, goes loud enough without distortion (my room is not big though), IMO great features (I can live with only 2 HDMI inputs) and it also doesn't run anywhere near as hot as the ONKYOs do.

The auto room set up seems very good and it is an all round good purchase, particularly at £599.

I would certainly recommend that you buy the 2808!

A

Anonymous

At £600 the Denon's a bargain. Where is it at this price? I was waiting for the Onkyo 606 but may have to plump for the 2808 now

A

Anonymous

Now it looks like a choice between the Denon AVR-2808 and the Onkyo 705 for me, only other choice is the Onkyo 606 but that's not out yet. I'm hopefully going to *** over to HiFix, Superfi and Richer Sounds tomorrow to hear what they are like.
Thankfully I've narrowed down my AV receiver options I just wish I could do the same with my speakers. I keep changing my mind whether to add KEF iQSEs to my 2005.2 eggs or just replace the whole set with a different make.

Hopefully I'll get to sample a few speakers and see how they sound with the Onkyo and Denon tomorrow

A

Anonymous

If I'm not totally confused I will ;)

If anyone's interested in the Black 2808 Forum Hifi in Nottingham have it for £599 :)

A

Anonymous

I bought the kef 3005se and Denon 2808 from HiFiX and am very pleased with both the products and the service. I would certainly recommend this combination (good improvement over 2005s, especially the sub, unless of course you want full size speakers. As you are going to HiFiX anyway, they do the Kef 3005SE speakers for £795.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnNewman"]Sounds like a fun day :O)

Please let us al know what you find.

Enjoy[/quote]

Hi John, I got myself a couple of KEF iQ5SE's and an iQ6SE Centre after a lovely morning on a leather couch surrounded by some very expensive kit listening to some fine tunes :) They sound great with my KEF eggs while watching movies and the two iQ5SE's are wonderfull with stereo (I couldn't quite stretch to the iQ7's). Very happy, if a little skint.

Sliced Bread

[quote user="homerpovey"][quote user="JohnNewman"]Sounds like a fun day :O)

Please let us al know what you find.

Enjoy[/quote]

Hi John, I got myself a couple of KEF iQ5SE's and an iQ6SE Centre after a lovely morning on a leather couch surrounded by some very expensive kit listening to some fine tunes :) They sound great with my KEF eggs while watching movies and the two iQ5SE's are wonderfull with stereo (I couldn't quite stretch to the iQ7's). Very happy, if a little skint.[/quote]

My Friend has the IQ5SE's...very nice speakers and great with vocals :O)

How did you find comparing the Denon 2808 and Onkyo 705/805?

A

Anonymous

I didn't get to compare the two. After playing them on my Denon 1906 they sound great so I'm not in a rush to change my receiver just yet. I can afford to sit back until I'm ready to embrace the HD sound format's. The chap in the shop said the Denon has the edge for music and if you're not fussed about the amount of HDMI inputs. I'll do proper test when I'm ready to buy one.

I watched my dts-ES copy of Gladiator and it was astounding. That centre is such an improvement I can't begin to tell you :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts