Denon 2310, a poor match for Tannoy Mercury F home cinema?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone, first time poster so please be gentle.

I got a new set of Tannoy Mercury F for a very good price, and seeing that Denon 2310 just won the 2009 amp award, it would be the obvious choice for my home theater. But my vendor tells me that Sony or Pioneer amps are better matches for the Tannoys so I am bit confused. I know I should audition these combinations in person but here in Asia (Taiwan) it's almost impossible, as each vendor usually carry a very limited range and I haven't found one that has these combinations.

So the question for all you whathifi veterans is: should I go with the Denon? Or a decent amp from Sony/Pioneer/Yamaha?

Thanks in advance for all inputs!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

The reason your vendor is telling you this is that Tannoy Mercury F are regarded as warm sounding speakers. Also, the Denon amp (along with the Yamaha you mentioned) are regarded as warm sounding amps.

It is therefore better to pair a brighter, or clinical sounding anp with the warm Tannoy speakers, hence your dealer suggesting Sony or Pionner. You could also add Onkyo to that list. These are regarded as bright or clinical sounding amps.

A

Anonymous

While we're on the subject of speakers. I'm about to start auditioning speakers to replace my current Mission Cinema 7 set-up.

I would like to maintain the physical arrangement of my current set up, (ie towers at the front and "wall hangers" for the surrounds).

Any suggestions as to what I should be auditioning ? There don't seem to be many "well regarded" speaker systems that meet these criteria, (apart from Monitor Audio RX6 which might be too much of a step up for partnering with the 2310).

Room Size is 6m x 3.5m

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Nigel

A

Anonymous

Thank you for the input guys, I think I'll go for the Denon then.

By the way, what can be so wrong with a warm-sounding speaker being matched to a warm-sounding amp?

Sliced Bread

8859K:
Thank you for the input guys, I think I'll go for the Denon then.

By the way, what can be so wrong with a warm-sounding speaker being matched to a warm-sounding amp?

It can sound too soft and dull for some peoples tastes. I made that mistake with my Mission 78 speakers and a Denon 3802.

This link maybe useful.
http://whathifi.com/Video/How-to-system-match-your-hi-fi/

However I've never heard the new Denon or the Tannoys. From what Andrew has said you, you should be fine
emotion-5.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

John Newman are you that famous person in what hi fi award magazine?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts