Q acoustics 2050i vs Tannoy Mercury V4i for music

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Sorry for the double post. I have tried to delete or edit the one created yesterday but it gives error messages. So here is the story:

Last week I purchased the Tannoy Mercury V4i floorstanders and I have been using them for 3 days more or less. Although they have some weaknesses, in general the impressions have been possitive. This week the same shop has put the Q acoustics 2050i on sale for the same price and now I have a big dilema. It is worth swapping them for the Q acoustics? I am specially concerned that Q acoustics may not be as good at low volumes.

Things I do not like about Tannoys:

- Transparency & clarity may be lacking unless you are sitting in front of the speaker.

- Energy - Could be overwhelming for some types of music.

- Excess detail - Sometimes the excess of detail & expansion by the tweeter causes the music to be all mixted up and confusing. In other words they lack focus.

On the other hand they sound very realistic, detailed, musical, good image and a lot of body with deep bass and they do not loose these features at low volumes.

Any comments to help decide will be appreciated. The process to exchange them will be very messy so I would only want to go this route if the improvements would be really worth it.

rainsoothe

well, you could (and should) audition for yourself - if the dealer has the 2050i in the shop, just take your amp with you (or, if they have the amp as well, use theirs) and let your ears decide. (Haven't heard Onkyo amps btw)

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
I already listened to them but very briefly. The shop is quite far away from my city but last week I was there when I picked up the Tannoys and I had the chance to listen to them briefly. They played a sample music at high volumes and the impresion was very good. The test lasted 5 min and I did not have the chance to play my own music or compare side by side with the Tannoys or to test them at low volumes. Not reliable test and not possible to draw conclusions vs Tannoy's.

FLima

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I hope will not confuse you more, but in that price range you really should demo Dali Sensor 3... They really sound good, they look awesome and they don't need large backspace to get best sound... Anyone have experience with zensor3?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Stop.... Just take a moment.

You are destined to spend eternity searching for the 'right' speaker.

You have a return period on your current speakers, if so take the weekend to listen to them, really check them out.

Try different positions, angles of toe in. tilt them back, raise them using jenga blocks. Or various blocks under your spikes.

If you can honestly say you have tried everything but still feel dissatisfied then swap them for the Q's or whichever speaker catches your ear.

:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts