Denon 1909 Upscaling, worse??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey Folks,
From my previous post I had a Onkyo 606 that developed glitches and thanks to the great people at Richer sounds in Belfast they let me change it out for the above Denon. Although the bottom end doesn't bludgeon you like the Onkyo, the Denon sounds more refined through the mid range. But thats enough waffle... the real reason for the post is the well covered issue of upscaling. I am finding that when a standard def sky box is hooked to the Denon using either s-video or component out from a scart adapter connection and upscaled to my max tv setting of 1080i the picture is very soft using the component and unwatchable using s-video. In fact sticking to scart produces a superior picture, this is opposite to what the people marketing these products claim. Is there some glaring ommision that I have missed even with regards to the s-video connection (RGB settings etc). Anybody come across this situation before?
Just to clarify I am running a PS3 as a Blueray source and the Denon looks after the upscaling to remarkable effect. Is this just because the signal is rubbish from the box and rubbish in equals rubbish out? Rant over!

Regards,
Peeha

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well the S-video output will be fairly rough, and unless you're using a Scart RGB/component comverter box you're probably only getting composite video from your current adapter.

So I'm not surprised the picture looks better via RGB Scart than it does via the receiver's upscaling, which is struggling with the silk purse/sow's ear task you have set it.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the insight into this issue. So it seems that even though various amps upscale a multitude of signals, some signals give better results than others. Thought this would be a foot note in the manuals.
Went ahead with your suggestion and got a Monster scart RGB/component converter but the amp isnt seeing the incoming signal. Have output the sat box signal to component (via menu) also to see if this is the issue but nothing. Everything is assigned correctly in the amp menu`s so bit stumped. Any plan C suggestions would be appreciated...

Regards,
Peeha

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts