define active in terms of speakers please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Given the debate raging in another thread about a certain active speaker range I wanted to understand the difference between an active and a passive speaker set.

I know that the RA-04 and set of BR2s I've got are a passive set of speakers, that bit is easy.

I understand that an active speaker has essentially got a power amp attached or integral to the design. The ADM 9.1s see to have it integrated, whereas the ATC range of actives have a power amp attached to the back. I understand you need a pre amp or a DAC to feed both types?

What else makes these active speaker designs, the cross over design? Can you suggest some other examples?

Not actively looking to go and buy a set, more curious about the difference

thanks

A

Anonymous

The power amplifier is typically
built-in to the loudspeaker, but that doesn't mean that it has to be. If you bolt an amp onto a passive loudspeaker then it doesn't become active all of a sudden.

The difference in an active system is that the crossover is
placed between the pre-amp and the power amp, rather than between the
power amp and the loudspeaker.

Key advantages:

• The amplifier will present
    the maximum damping factor at all times as it is not affected by the
    crossover.
  • The engineer can address the impedance relationship between the amplifier and drive
    unit.
  • Each amplifier in
    the active system need only amplify a defined bandwidth --> lower intermodulation distortion.
  • A clipping bass amplifier
    will not affect other frequency ranges.
  • Generally a more efficient system; will play louder.
Active is seen at the top of manufacturer's ranges: Naim, Meridian, Linn, etc

John Duncan

My reading is that true actives have an active crossover, so that separate amplification is matched correctly to each of the driver units. Powered passives, by contrast, have an amp built in but a passive crossover, so face the same issues any traditional amp and speaker combo would have.

A

Anonymous

Ok that makes sense that it goes pre -> crossover -> power amp -> speaker

rather than pre -> power -> crossover -> speaker

any other opinions?

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:My reading is that true actives have an active crossover, so that separate amplification is matched correctly to each of the driver units. Powered passives, by contrast, have an amp built in but a passive crossover, so face the same issues any traditional amp and speaker combo would have.

that is exactly what prompted me to ask

Are there any other examples of true actives. The ATC -A range seem to fit, the AVIs and PMC?

A

Anonymous

PMC make passive speakers, powered passives, and actives.

The DB1S-A and TB2S-A are not actually active, but passive speakers with amps strapped on the back, whereas from the AML1 upwards they become active.

The same goes for AVI: Neutron 5 Amp Pak are powered passive, and ADM9 are active.

I think ATC simply come in passive or active flavour. The latter are vastly superior but What HiFi use passive versions as a reference.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Eddie Pound:I think ATC simply come in passive or active flavour. The latter are vastly superior but What HiFi use passive versions as a reference.

Simply because the speakers are used a lot for amplifier testing - something to which active speakers don't lend themselves too well, for obvious reasons...

A

Anonymous

Here is a simple diagram, taken from here:

bvp-f2-3.gif

In general an active or passive speaker will need to be fed from a pre-amp, however, now that computers are becoming so popular there are many product that integrate a DAC with a pre-amp.

The AVI speakers differ as far as I can see, because they put the DAC inside, as well as a pre-amp, making it a complete system.

zzgavin:

Given the debate raging in another thread about a certain active speaker range I wanted to understand the difference between an active and a passive speaker set.

I know that the RA-04 and set of BR2s I've got are a passive set of speakers, that bit is easy.

I understand that an active speaker has essentially got a power amp attached or integral to the design. The ADM 9.1s see to have it integrated, whereas the ATC range of actives have a power amp attached to the back. I understand you need a pre amp or a DAC to feed both types?

What else makes these active speaker designs, the cross over design? Can you suggest some other examples?

Not actively looking to go and buy a set, more curious about the difference

thanks

Hi zzg

http://www.atc.gb.net/downloads/CompanyProfile.pdf

(page 9 for active v passive)

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Musicraft,

How would you describe the sonic differences between the active and passive equivalent models?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts