Deezer Now Supports Lossless (FLAC) Streaming...

daveh75

I should add it's a complimentary offer for Premium+ subscribers who download the app before January 2018, after that it will require a Deezer Hifi subscription @ 19.99 a month

https://www.deezer.com/en/offers/hifi

daveh75

Wow! How shitty is Deezers Marketing?

So apparently lossless streaming was already a thing on Sonos and Chromecast! Who knew?

https://www.whathifi.com/news/new-deezer-desktop-app-brings-cd-quality-streaming

So not only did they do a poor job of marketing it in the first place, the failed to mention it was already available on other platforms in this announcement and made it sound like this was something new

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
That's good news.

Competition growing let's hope either prices fall or services improve :)

I'm remain surprised there is a market big enough for competition, and I keep waiting for someone's bubble to burst. I can't tell you of anyone away from forums such as this who uses a lossless streaming service. I know someone who a year ago was a Tidal subscriber: he joined following their media campaign and streamed to a Sonos Play 3 speaker in his lounge. But he cancelled within the free period because he couldn't hear any difference between Tidal and Spotify at half the price, on a system which to be fair is of a higher calibre than most people liisten on. This surely is going to be a typical story.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
daveh75 said:

So apparently lossless streaming was already a thing on Sonos and Chromecast! Who knew?

https://www.whathifi.com/news/new-deezer-desktop-app-brings-cd-quality-streaming

So not only did they do a poor job of marketing it in the first place, the failed to mention it was already available on other platforms in this announcement and made it sound like this was something new

Dave 75 & other Deezer subscribers, could you describe the front-end / interface? What's the layout like? Does Deezer make any kind of musical recommendations based on music you've previously listened to? If so, is it a successful element of the service?

Does it have an extensive genre-based music discovery section?

Do you use it on a desktop app or tablet/phone app?

daveh75

I haven't used Deezer in a long time and honestly can't remember, but whether you get on with a particular UI/UX is entirely subjective anyway, so with that in mind, Deezer like most streaming services offer a free trial so why not try it?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Leeps said:
daveh75 said:

Dave 75 & other Deezer subscribers, could you describe the front-end / interface? What's the layout like? Does Deezer make any kind of musical recommendations based on music you've previously listened to? If so, is it a successful element of the service?

Does it have an extensive genre-based music discovery section?

Do you use it on a desktop app or tablet/phone app?

Yes I use Deezer on a desktop pc. They have a thing called Flow which is based on what you have played, you can play that or at end of an album they will play similar music. You can select playlists such as Folk, that is split into different styles, such as New Folk, Happy Folk, Indie Folk and Today's Best Americana etc. So I think it quite good, I prefer it to Spotify. Why don't you try it, they have a free trial (maybe some ads now). I tried Tidal and yes the SQ was a bit better but not sure it's worth £20pm for me. Also they have a few albums missing compared to Deezer/Spotify.

For new artists to me, I then look them up on All Music and see which are their best albums, they also have similar artists on there as well.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks BigH. I am tempted to give it a go.

Having said that, at present I can use Tidal's app in lossless directly attached to my apple-friendly AV receiver and stream that way using the AVR's DAC. It works well. But I notice Deezer lossless seems a little more limited how you can access it (so the iOS app seems to be 320kbps max).

Tidal's SQ is excellent and to me at least really opened up the air and space around the notes, where Spotify seemed a little dull and blunted in comparison, although I much preferred the interface and especially the personalised recommendations. But if I add a streamer or AVR that's Deezer compatible I'd certainly be tempted to trial it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts