Day off work tomorrow . . . !!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
amcluesent said:
>One wonders how far one has to go up the financial ladder... <

For 2-channel CDstreamerampspeakers, maybe £6K-£10K if bought 2nd hand, £20K if buying new. Just saying... :?

. . . keeping it simple, ie., old fashoned 2 channel, nothing in the way, no overblown floorstanding speakers . . . after what I heard on Wednesday and being realisic buy new kit. I recon 20K is way over the top!

I didscussed this with Dave (my friendly dealer) on Wednesday, there is only so much infomation avaliable on a recording, past that its personal likes/dislikes, loud, bigger image, more bass (at a freqancy we cant hear?)

Nah . . . keep it simple, plus, a factor for me is room size, 12ftx12ftx9ft and solid walls. I dont need a big powerfull system, therefore my 'personal like' is detail and envolvement with a tight 'tunefull' bass line.

I've just had a count up . . . :? PMC-LB1 speakers, Foundation Designer stands, Apollo CDp and the Croft CI-P . . . new, would set me back around £3000??? Then there is the HRT DAC and computer for HQ downloads etc. . . . phew, mounts up dont it?

CJSF

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi CSJF

Have you received the Croft yet? I'm very interested to hear your

thoughts on it when you get it fired up at home. Having heard some

valve gear at the National Audio show i was very impressed.

Regards Ed.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
edplaysdrums42 said:
Hi CSJF

Have you received the Croft yet? I'm very interested to hear your

thoughts on it when you get it fired up at home. Having heard some

valve gear at the National Audio show i was very impressed.

Regards Ed.

Hi Ed, back in the 80's I ran EAR 509 mono block valve amps, complete with a valve preamp, as far as I am concerned there was nothing better at the price, some older designs tended to be a bit thick in the lower frequencies, and over rounded at the top end, but my experience is that EAR and Croft are open, crisp and well balanced. Its been 20 years since I have had anything to do with hifi, so modern designers may be better.

Not to every one's taste, they dont have brain splitting attack!!! just an authoritative, rounded and detailed character that I personally like, perceived in my book as 'a powerful sound' . . . a personal view of course. Glen Croft does things very different to most manufacturers, all components are 'end connected', not a PC board in sight. Component count is also kept to a minimum, 'minimalist' in all the purest senses of the word.

I dont expect to take delivery for a week or three??? but when it does arrive, I will be getting excited. Spent today putting the finishing touches to my new music room, roll on the courier white van man . . . :dance:

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts