Did not cost me a penny . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm not doing much in the way of radical tweaks these days. Last one was when I more than doubled the mass of the glass platter on my TT. These days I fiddle and £art, making tiny changes looking for, sometimes I dont know what . . . 'what if' type changes, not really better, more, do I like it this way or tother way? Had a good result from a tenners worth of ceramic bearing . . .

This week I've been doing a lot of thinking, evaluated the room and speaker placement. One has don nothing significant with it since I first set the hifi up properly a couple . . . or is it 3 years ago now? Quite deliberate it has been to, change nothing, then the changes I have made are significant to the hifi kit. So, now I have the system 'sounding to my liking', maybe a bit of 'fine tuning' to the listening room might be in order?

As its a living/study area, and only small, there is not much I can do . . . however, the speaker placement has always been an issue in my mind, I remember these PMC's were in my previous life. The room is 12 foot square, with loads of stuff in there. The long and short is, I have to make the best of it . . . Thats not good enough for me, I will always try that little extra to see ;) . . . 5 feet between speakers ain't much, but 3 doors, computer, desk, record storage and the hifi its self all have to be accommodated, as well a sofa, bent wood cottage type and decent coffee table. As I say, food for thought.

The speakers have always been set with a few degrees of toe in and 2 feet from the back wall, the listening sofa is on the opposite wall. Since the platter mods and ceramic bearing change, I have thought there was more to come, I could hear potential??? The doors stop any more space between speakers, I know that moving the settee forward 18" makes a major improvement, but from a living point of view, it ain't practical.

The only option I have without knocking down walls is to fiddle with speaker position, but I thought I had it right :? I can try and return to the original positions, so open the PMC to flat on, no toe in . . . yes, the image opened nicely, but . . . there was a lack of dynamics. Lived with it for a few days, could not stand it any longer, but what next? Go radical, sharply angled in :doh: did not feel right but I had to try . . . There was definitely a sweet spot . . . but still not right, I had to widen that sweet spot. Moved the speakers a couple of millimeters at a time, finally I found it, a position that sounded right. Everything clicked into place, the volume increased, the base became crisp and room rattling, it was like having my old EAR 509's back, dynamic power with sweetness and authority.

That was Monday, living with it and my appreciation only grows, 20w of triode valve power driving 87db studio monitors via 8m of basic copper cable . . . :dance: I measured the toe in angle today . . . '20 degrees'!!! Speaker crossover is well in front of the listening position, probably 30 inches . . . I presume there is some technical explanation for these positive change, what ever it is I'm a happy bunny. and it did not cost me a penny ;)

CJSF

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I would be interested to have a listen to your system!

Your not in the midlands are you!

Love all your tweaking of your Rega deck - it makes good reading!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I would be interested to have a listen to your system!

Your not in the midlands are you!

Love all your tweaking of your Rega deck - it makes good reading!

Hi Steve, I live Suffolk, Ipswich, almost Essex, but not quite :shame: Very close to junction 53 on the A14.

If you want to MP me, you can via Vinyal Engine.

CJSF

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Come the New Year we will be doing up the front room, a complete re-vamp and I'm looking forward to having a bit more flexibility with the positioning of my speakers (which currently reside either side of the old chimney breast, firing across the narrowest part of the room - so not ideal).

I'm also debating whether to utilise the space in the chimney breast to house my system. I bought some gear a couple of years ago from a guy who had done this to his chimney breast and the results looked brilliant. Trouble is I'm not the greatest DIY person so will need to recruit my brother in law to assist.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
yeah i know you frequent vinylengine - would be good having a bake off with other peeps on here - yes PP we will invite you too ;)

Steve,

I've always been interested ( or should that read: nosey?) in wanting to listen to other peoples systems, I think its a great idea, and would be great fun. For example, I've yet to hear a valve amplifier, or even a really good turntable in action.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
DIB said:
stevebrock said:
yeah i know you frequent vinylengine - would be good having a bake off with other peeps on here - yes PP we will invite you too ;)

Steve,

I've always been interested ( or should that read: nosey?) in wanting to listen to other peoples systems, I think its a great idea, and would be great fun. For example, I've yet to hear a valve amplifier, or even a really good turntable in action.

i don't think your deck is too shabby though!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DIB said:

Back in the 80's I used to show at the various hifi shows. One of the pleasures, when the doors close in the evening, we used to visit rooms listening to all sorts, from the simplest to kit one could only dream of. It was better than getting plastered in the bar . . . a tough call in the morning, loud music and public asking dam fool questions??? . . . they certainly seemed like foolish questions if you had a hangover from the night before?

I learned very quickly, 'hifi showing and booze don't mix' . . . If required to be in the bar, it was a splash of larger, the rest was lemonade.

CJSF

stevebrock said:

I don't mind... never get invited normally. :cry:

@CJ

Tiny little tweaks can make a surprising difference. Last year I moved the RS6s an inch or two further apart and the separation was noticably improved.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
DIB said:
stevebrock said:

Steve,

i don't think your deck is too shabby though!

Steve, for what I paid for it the P3 is brilliiant value for money. With the new sub, acrylic platter, belt and bearing recently added it sounds even better. I cannot fault it.

What I should have said is listen to a much more expensive rig, for example a Michell Gyrodec set up and see whether the performance matches the price. I mean I think they look great in the shop window, but you're talking a lot of money, is it worth it?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
It is surprising how good Rega decks sounds from P3/RP3 upwards.

I have been pondering over a Gyrodec for months now myself - I actually think the RP6 sounds very good for the price and might do some tweaking. As you know I had the 10x5 cartridge and was initially impressed with it but found it a bit forward, Floyd put me onto a Nagaoka and things just sound gorgeous - I should get a ceramic bearing as for £10 I have nothing to lose.

Currently I have Gus's Subplatter and White Belt.

I know the Gyrodec is an object of desire, it sounds great, looks good but whn I heard it with a Tecnoarm there wasnt much in it with my RP6 - However when they put a SME IV on then it was a massive step up - but we are talking £1900 for an arm.

My Nagaoka cart is just the standard MP110, for £100 it is a beaut of a cart - as I now have the Aria phono i might start looking at some low output MCs to put on my RP6.

I am really happy with the vinyl front end at the minute!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
This is the sort of thing I am looking to do with my chimney breast..

Fireplace_zpsdde58533.jpg

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:

I don't mind... never get invited normally.

After further thought, what chance would my heavily discounted set-up have against your full retail priced kit? :p

Your welocme to the party PP - please take everything on here tounge-in-cheek from me!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts