David and Goliath .. Value for money.?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Day dreaming on a Sunday afternoon......With say 2k burning a hole in your pocket, would you choose the new b&w pm1 [ taking it their sound is up to scratch ] or say the more substantial built atc scm 40. Perceived value for money is the the question ?
smiley-cool.gif

FATS 2828 said:
Day dreaming on a Sunday afternoon......With say 2k burning a hole in your pocket, would you choose the new b&w pm1 [ taking it their sound is up to scratch ] or say the more substantial built atc scm 40. Perceived value for money is the the question ?
smiley-cool.gif

Hi FATS 2828

I've not heard the PM1's however i feel that at this moment in time ATC's SCM40 monitors are probably the VFM speakers currently available on the market regardless of price :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Pour water on that firey money....until you've heard many of the suggestions on all your threads...then decide where your smokin money should go...all of the suggested speakers are good but only you can decide which is for you.

Benny.

A

Anonymous

Thankyou benny, sound advice. As i say only day dreaming on a sunday afternoon....... Auditions a must i know. Mind you as i listen too my atc 11, they are just getting better by each record. [Taken some time tho ] .If i am correct, from reading threads on here and elsewhere. The atc bug has also bitten yourself in the past . regards.

A

Anonymous

FATS 2828, yeah you're right...I have went through all ATC's entry level & thoroughly enjoyed each step up the ladder...£2000+ can burn more than your pocket if unsure where to place your bet...just take your time over a few afternoon auditions is all, in my opinion you can't really go to far wrong if you already enjoy the 11's moving up the is made a lot easier. Cheers Benny.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
For £2K I think I might be tempted to try Dynaudio Focus 110A active speakers.

At £1690 they would leave £310 change towards a pre-amp* and/or DAC or Squeezebox/Sonos/network player or whatever.

* The pre-out from something like the Arcam Solo-Mini (£599) into the Dynaudio actives would provide an instant system for about the same cost as a pair of SCM40s before amplification or source.

Then of course there are the AVI ADM9Ts for about £1150 with DAC and remote controlled pre-amp built in. With matching sub (£900 ?) they still cost less than the SCM40s and have everything but a source!

I can think of far more/better options than a pair of £2.2K speakers that require at least as much to be spent again for sufficient quality/quantity of amplification to get the best from them.

Whatever we think about certain claims for actives, £2K is starting to look like the sort of price where they become really good value compared to traditional passives + amps. Factor in the savings in space, energy consumption, clutter, cables etc. then it becomes very persuasive.

I forgot to mention the PMC DB1SA II and TB2SA II 'activated'/active/powered (choose the one you prefer) speakers that also start at around the same price as the SCM40s.

With so many more 'all-in-one' users nowadays (with systems from Arcam, Naim, Linn, Denon, Marantz etc.) I think we are going to see a lot of people thinking along the lines of... "Should I improve on my UnitiQute [for instance] with expensive additional power amps, or slap a good pair of active speakers on the pre-outs for the same price and no extra space?"

Just some musings from someone who hasn't slept for 31 hours, watched a boring & disappointing Grand Prix, and thought (gently) throwing a small 'active' spanner into the discussion might help keep me awake.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
After going through many upgrades over many years trying to get a system I was happy with, it was only after swapping out a system that cost over £8000 for one that costs around £2000 that I've been completely happy with my system.

Everyone has an opinion on AVI, but having owned some ADM9.1s for over a year, I'd recommend AVI ADM9 + sub to anyone. If you've got around £2K to spend you really owe it to yourself to hear them!

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
No one can really say until they get to hear the PM1 really, and it'll also depend on amplification.

Spot on David.

If I was running a low power integrated (Nait 5i or similar) or a warm sounding system (Arcam sounding stuff) I'd go with the PM1's.

If I had an MF M6 or something with a ton of welly behind it, I'd take those gorgeous ATC's in an instant.

Monstrous said:
If I had an MF M6 or something with a ton of welly behind it, I'd take those gorgeous ATC's in an instant.

Hi Darren

You don't necessarily need amplification with a ton of welly to work well with ATC's SCM40 monitors. I've got clients happily using Audio Note amplifiers with SCM40 monitors which sound even better then some high powered/size of a truck amplifiers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT said:
Monstrous said:

Hi Darren

You don't necessarily need amplification with a ton of welly to work well with ATC's SCM40 monitors. I've got clients happily using Audio Note amplifiers with SCM40 monitors which sound even better then some high powered/size of a truck amplifiers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Usually the extra welly (assuming it still is a good sounding amp) helps. Though often current output is overshadowed by (in the Audio Note's case at least) a very good power supply. There's no defining number really :).

A

Anonymous

I notice the b&w,s are 1db less in the sensitivity dept. than atc40,s. Will they be harder to drive ?

FATS 2828 said:
I notice the b&w,s are 1db less in the sensitivity dept. than atc40,s. Will they be harder to drive ?

Hi FATS 2828

The PM1's will need more power to achieve the same level as SCM40 monitors. I don't think the PM1's will be too difficult to drive though as their impedance looks to be relative stable (not dropping below 5ohms).

Ultimately though i think you really also need to audition SCM19 and SCM40's as i think you'll be surprised at the performance gains over your SCM11's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I'd go along with Winterace and Chebby on this one and recommend strongly active speakers at this price and especially the AVI ADMs with sub. On too many threads on here the OP changes speakers, system sounds better, now need another amp to match; got new amp, sounds better now new speakers etc. Why not take the matching problems out by using amps which are matched and sound better for the price than similarly priced amp/passive speaker combination?

Roger

A

Anonymous

FATS2828 congratulations on the sale or your ATC SCM11's good price also...what you upto now? Made any decisions yet?
Cheers.
Benny.

A

Anonymous

Hello, Benny . Thats very observant of you, yes its all happend very quickly. mind you slightly cocked up on the postage but hey ho. I,ve even posted them already.
smiley-surprised.gif
. NOT sure at all yet . Want too be keepers this time round, looks like a trip too a certain place in coventry. Suggestions welcome. regards fats

A

Anonymous

An x-dem pair of 19's or 40's would be very good...but you'll know when you hear them if they're for you, best of luck anyway.

Benny.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts