Fubar IV and Grado 325is - first impressions

John Duncan

Let's get this out of the way first - I'm not a headfi-er. My previous experience of long-term headphone use has been limited to a couple of pairs of modest full-size Sennheisers plugged into the headphone socket of an integrated amp, and various mini-cans or in-ear buds from iPod or PC (albeit reasonable ones - Shure E2s, CX300s, PX200s) Probably the highest quality cans I have experienced for any length of time are Sennheiser HD25s (lovely, leaky as hell). I've never heard, let alone owned, a headphone amp. So, with the caveat that this is almost totally subjective, and not a comparison with anything else...

As many of you may have gathered, I wasn't getting much use of the Primares in the sitting room (family got in the way), so I sold the lot, with a view to setting up something a bit more prosaic for general listening, and something more intimate at my workstation for high quality soloing. Now I didn't know how I was going to do that - I had thought to keep the DACMagic and add a headphone amp - but when I saw that Firestone were selling a limited addition (by virtue of a 'seasonal' graphic on the top) version of the Fubar IV DAC and Headphone amp off cheap, and knowing that some on here had had good results (oh and it looks cute), I bit the bullet and ordered one - £125 including shipping - down from about £225 for the normal unseasoned version. Before it arrived I got over-excited and, totally based on reviews (hey, how wrong can they all be), ordered a pair of Grado SR325is to go with. Now I know that I'm supposed to listen to them first but, hey, who's got the time? So, with eBay profits burning a hole in my pocket, I went for the top-of-the-within-reason-range ones (next ones up are £500 or something, which is just silly), on the basis that if these aren't good enough, then I can't afford this game any more.

So they both arrived last week, but I wanted to spend some time with them before saying what I thought, since 1) I didn't know what to expect, so any judgement could be snap and 2) I hear the Grados need 100 hours of running in. They haven't had that, but I'll bear that in mind below.

First thing I've noticed about the combo is its frequency response - having been used to small standmounts most of my life (with a brief dalliance with some Tannoy floorstanders), nothing has come close to the depths which this setup can plumb short of a pair of huge B&W 802somethings. Grado quotes a frequency response of 18hz to 24khz, and I can quite believe it. Most importantly though, they maintain their composure at the bottom end more than any loudspeaker I've heard outside silly-money territory. I'm no bass fiend, but they've made me want floorstanders again
emotion-2.gif
. The key to the setup's overall sound though is that the fullness in the lower end helps enormously further up the midrange to add depth and timbre to vocals - Joni Mitchell's later reworking of Both Sides Now sounds absolutely beautiful - warm, reekin', rich, as Burns would say. This richness isn't gained at the expense of timing though - drums on Tom Sawyer and First We Take Manhattan are pin-sharp.

So far, so good, then. If I had a qualm thus far, however, it'd be at the treble end. The setup's so revealing that there can be almost too much of it, to the point of it being a bit wearing. I'm not saying that some of my recordings aren't a bit troublesome in this respect - for example, they make a better fist of Elbow's Asleep In The Back than my stereo ever did - but the pairing feels slightly more at home with older recordings than with modern ones (a nostalgia-induced Jim Reeves interlude on Spotify sounded bloody marvellous).

So that's it for now. I can't say whether the DAC, headphone amp or cans have strengths or failings in isolation, or whether the cans need a bit more loosening up before I can judge them fully but - on the whole - together they sound about as good as any traditional stereo I've heard. The dynamic range takes some getting used to - I've reached for that gorgeous Primare-esque volume knob more than once - and I'm not getting that 'out of head' soundstaging that people talk about, but maybe they were making it up. Having had a brief listen to Lucas's marvellous 60is through the Fubar, it's possible that better value is to be had slightly further down the Grado range, but I was flush so I'm not feeling short-changed
emotion-5.gif
. As a final note, I listened to some 24/48 recordings of me
emotion-8.gif
, and it's closer to the sound I heard in the studio than my full-size setup ever managed...

A

Anonymous

Sounds like you're happy, John, and that's what's important! Great to hear about the bass; it's the one thing that could be improved in my setup, but it's not a priority for me. The Grados will improve over the next month or so, I'm sure. All I wonder is whether we'll ever be satisfied with a regular setup again.

Anyway, sounds like you made a wise choice. Congratulations!

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

Pleased to hear you've indulged John, the Grados will improve. Why don't you send the Fubar back and bring a Slee your way? That way you are guaranteed perfection.

Nothing will make up for good quality room listening but headphones can bring unexpected levels of hysteria, particularly when the heavens have dulled.

idc

Superb review John. Only one criticism, why put a review of a headphone and headphone amp in the hifi section of the forum. Why not put it in the headphone section? It will remain on show there far longer than here.

The main thing I get out of the review is the sheer value for money that you get with headfi setups. You do get far greater bang for your buck.

A

Anonymous

Great review John. After reading this and a few other things on the Forum I decided to take a shot at this and ordered up a Fubar IV at the weekend. It arrived today.

First impressions - I'm very pleased with it. I'm only using it with my existing Grado SR60's but it sounds good, but probably not a patch on the 325is I'd imagine. I will have to upgrade my headphones in a few months to something with a bit more bass as that has been bugging me for a while with the SR60's. But all in all - a very promising start after a couple of hours play.

I've been listening to the Chameleon track on Herbie Hancocks 'Head Hunters' album and can't stop laughing for the last half hour at how good I think it sounds!

John Duncan

thanguverymuch. Be cautious, however, about spending too much on 'phones if you expect an enormous leap in quality. Personally I think the 60s are absolutely fantastic, and the extra cost for something like the 325is (whilst being amazing cans) may be difficult to justify to yourself on audition when compared to some of their cheaper siblings.

A

Anonymous

I found the same thing with headphones- my Squeezebox - Spitfire - Little Country 3 (a Firestone tube hybrid headphone amp) makes akg k702s sound so much more satisfying and revealing than speakers. Once you've properly tried headphones I don't think you can go back!

However it is still nice sometimes to listen without anything on your head... Or if you're with another person.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:thanguverymuch. Be cautious, however, about spending too much on 'phones if you expect an enormous leap in quality. Personally I think the 60s are absolutely fantastic, and the extra cost for something like the 325is (whilst being amazing cans) may be difficult to justify to yourself on audition when compared to some of their cheaper siblings.
I've had a similar experience. Upgrading from SR80s to the RS1 did not bring about the night and day improvement I was expecting. Better, yes. But I'd have expected a little more given the RS1s cost approximately five times as much as the SR80s.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the steer John and PJPro - that's good to know your experiences. I've always felt the Grados needed to go a bit deeper to be honest, but I'll hold off a while before jumping in with an upgrade.

The more I listen to this setup, the better it seems to be getting so I'm in a good place right now anyway. I'm hearing loads of things I've never heard before on some of my favourite tracks.

On reflection, maybe I just need something a bit different as a second pair for different types of music - something other than Grados.

I was in HMV in Edinburgh at lunchtime and had a listen to some Monster Beats by Dr Dre studio headphones they had. They were deep, but a bit too deep for me! One thing did strike me though - just how more comfy there were than the Grados.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
If you can get the RS1s or indeed the SR325s secondhand then they become a more viable proposition. The problem for Grado is that the SR60/80 are sooo good.

A

Anonymous

Still loving this little setup. In terms of bang for your buck this has got to be right up there.

I'm hankering on a set of AKG702's from reviews. But trying before you buy might be difficult in Scotland by the looks of experiences by others.

BTW - a stupid question - I take it that I can replace the EU/adapter mains cable that was shipped with Fubar to a standard UK one without causing any problems? Or even cut the two pin plug off it and put a three pin UK plug on it instead?

A

Anonymous

mrmrj:Still loving this little setup. In terms of bang for your buck this has got to be right up there.I'm hankering on a set of AKG702's from reviews. But trying before you buy might be difficult in Scotland by the looks of experiences by others.BTW - a stupid question - I take it that I can replace the EU/adapter mains cable that was shipped with Fubar to a standard UK one without causing any problems? Or even cut the two pin plug off it and put a three pin UK plug on it instead?

My Firestone gear (ordered from their Netherlands website) all shipped with UK power cables (I ordered from the UK) just mention you want UK power cables in the ordering notes and they should supply those rather than EU ones.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts