Dali

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think you are taking a wise approach

- Have the Yamaha as a decent benchmark, that needs to be "knocked out of the ring", for another amp to be considered

- Have exploratory demos, to see what's out there.

- Once you have a direction, then "drill down demos" exploring, say, Class A options and what different brands and price points get you, is the way to go.

My 2 caveats are:

- The effect of Source Quality

- (and more controversially), the potential cables can bring...but this is something that is "seasoning" to a properly chosen system. IME. The more power hungry an amp is, the bigger effect a mains cable has...but that is something everybody has to try for themselves.

gasolin

Try watching some youtube video's, some with the amp you have and some with the speaker you have

Then you would get an idea of what amp people use with the dalis and what speakers people use with the yamaha amp, so you have some idea of what to listen to next time when you want to listen to new speakers or amp instead of just go with dali (comments could also be helpful)

You had marantz PM 6005,8005, abrahamsen, right? Now yamaha a-s2100, all the time you had dali, zensor 1 i think,zensor 3 and rubicon 6's which you changed to the 8's .

Why not change speakers?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Heard the Kef ref 3 yesterday and they’re impressive*diablo*

What was the rest of the system?

Edit. Apologies to BS, for somewhat taking over his thread...but it's good to be actually talking about this stuff, so am "losing the run of myself", as they say in my part of the world.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
BS, if or when the time comes for you to change amps for a Luxman, if you're spending that kind of money, I would urge you to hear an Accuphase amp as well... not sure where you live in the country, but there is a dealer in Cheshire that stock them, or I'm in Kent if that's closer.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Because it’s amplifier related in regards of fine detail yes the Yamaha gives fine detail but a class A gives more detail and if in some point when I decided on changing the Dali’s for something better like Dali epicon or some other speaker that shows me more detail in the future basically a final goal setup

I am very close to my goal now I feel but there is some much out there to try like I found out yesterday

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
I think its Sonos connect/Chord Dave/ Chord pre-power

If you like them on that, just imagine what they'd be like with your Electro / AMS35i *diablo*

...if you do try them, I'd love to know how the 35i drives them, as they are less Sensitive than both the Old Refs and your Focals.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks a lot Electro

I am pretty sure your setup sounds amazing mate and my speakers are to big and heavy to put in my car and I changed my car last year for a Ford Focus which doesn’t have the same room as my old Mondao but when I did buy my speakers I nearly bust a gut lifting them by my self lol .

And yes the mono block route is a good one with a pre which I’ve briefly looked at before but didn’t act on but I know the Electo stuff can good because when I had the abrahamsen .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes that’s what I will do as I have had my fare share of box swapping myself over the years I think it’s just part of the hobby I reckon and most people on here have done the same but I will still keep my Yamaha I will not trade it in it’s definitely a keeper as this was what I intended in doing when I brought it .

anyway I am from Ely Cambridgeshire so sounds like your distance from me But thinks for the offer *smile*

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:
I think its Sonos connect/Chord Dave/ Chord pre-power

If you like them on that, just imagine what they'd be like with your Electro / AMS35i *diablo*

...if you do try them, I'd love to know how the 35i drives them, as they are less Sensitive than both the Old Refs and your Focals.

Hi Cno ..Im not a fan of Chord apart from their dacs. but what Ive heard is stunning (I was asked which music I want to play)Sure .. Voices mids is quite amazing. Diana Krall.. Damn ( sorry BS) Im on my confort listening vol. Thes suddenly the boss change the music and ask me how they(kef ref3) handle bass..F..ckin hell. as if 2 sub was conneted

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Hi Cno ..Im not a fan of Chord apart from their dacs. but what Ive heard is stunning (I was asked which music I want to play)Sure .. Voices mids is quite amazing. Diana Krall.. Damn ( sorry BS) Im on my confort listening vol. Thes suddenly the boss change the music and ask me how they(kef ref3) handle bass..F..ckin hell. as if 2 sub was conneted

It takes a hell of a speaker to even make me contemplate changing mine...and the Ref 3s are just such a speaker. I have a Baldrick "Cunning Plan" brewing, on a pair of ex-dems...but I need a few things to drop into place for that to happen.

For a start, I will have to lug my amp to the dealer to see what happens...which is why I am interested in any dem that you might have with your kit.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I asked about the music Fidelity vista is it ? Anyway when I went for the demo yesterday I see one sitting there and asked about it but the chap said it wouldn’t go well with Dali plus it’s expensive .

anyway it’s a very big amplifier !

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I asked about the music Fidelity vista is it ? Anyway when I went for the demo yesterday I see one sitting there and asked about it but the chap said it wouldn’t go well with Dali plus it’s expensive .

There are 2 Nu Vista Amps - The 800 and The 600....very good (according to Ellisdj) and very expensive. I have no idea if they would go with Dali, or not.

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

There are 2 Nu Vista Amps - The 800 and The 600....very good (according to Ellisdj) and very expensive. I have no idea if they would go with Dali, or not.

BS dont listen to Cno..l haha .I have and Im stucked

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts