Dali

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
You've got to love how a thread called Dali may end up with a purchase of Accuphase amp :)

Good, innit. *crazy*

...but...it could be about Dali, if they end up fulfilling their potential on the end of a Luxman. *diablo*

Sometimes I would rather take the approach - here is my system and here is my budget, so where should I spend my money to get max benefit. Often it's the amp and more often than you'd expect, it's the Source.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I like the luxman L-507ux integrated £5000 and I like the luxman power amplifier M-700u £6.500 but can’t see a good pre- amplifier on his website from luxman but my wife will have a breakdown if I spend that kind of money but if I went for a luxman I would buy the integrated amplifier because I couldn’t afford a pre & power from luxman .

Try also to get a listen to the Arcam A49, if you haven't heard one - I really like it. I know you've liked Arcam in the past - and this is the best Integrated Amp they have made, by some margin....and quite capable of driving the likes of Kef Refs.

insider9

CnoEvil said:
insider9 said:
You've got to love how a thread called Dali may end up with a purchase of Accuphase amp :)

Good, innit. *crazy*

...but...it could be about Dali, if they end up fulfilling their potential on the end of a Luxman. *diablo*

Sometimes I would rather take the approach - here is my system and here is my budget, so where should I spend my money to get max benefit. Often it's the amp and more often than you'd expect, it's the Source.
I don't disagree. I remember my first thread wholly expecting a DAC upgrade suggestions just to be told to upgrade my 6 week old Dali speakers. Sometimes we need to be told by someone who knows better. Luckily there are a few on here that do and you don't argue with them. Otherwise what's the point of asking for advice.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I have taken on board about the amplifiers but will be hard to let go of the Yamaha but have asked to use the luxman as the amplifier used in the demo with the rubicons so we wil see what £5000 buys

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
They said they will use a streaming device and it will be using tidal so no point taking any of my CDs and I’ve asked if I could listen to the Dali epicon 6s , PMC26s so I get to know what all the fuss is about and a setup to find out what true high end hifi sounds like .

but tomorrow I will just concentrate on the Rubicon 6s with the luxman and pay some more visits to hear different stuff before I decide what the right move is .

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
They said they will use a streaming device and it will be using tidal so no point taking any of my CDs and I’ve asked if I could listen to the Dali epicon 6s , PMC26s so I get to know what all the fuss is about and a setup to find out what true high end hifi sounds like  .

but tomorrow I will just concentrate on the Rubicon 6s with the luxman and pay some more visits to hear different stuff before I decide what the right move is .

Tomorrow blacksabbath 25. For some reason, all of us seem to be as excited as you are :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
They said they will use a streaming device and it will be using tidal so no point taking any of my CDs

In that case, make a list of stuff that can be heard on Tidal before you go....I find my mind goes blank in a demo, so like to have my thoughts gathered before I go. Maybe that's my age, though. *unknw*

Samd

insider9 said:
CnoEvil said:
insider9 said:

Good, innit. *crazy*

...but...it could be about Dali, if they end up fulfilling their potential on the end of a Luxman. *diablo*

I don't disagree. I remember my first thread wholly expecting a DAC upgrade suggestions just to be told to upgrade my 6 week old Dali speakers. Sometimes we need to be told by someone who knows better. Luckily there are a few on here that do and you don't argue with them. Otherwise what's the point of asking for advice.

Generally, it's those who don't really need the advice who know who those 'someones' are!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I am meant to just look at Dali rubicon 6s tomorrow but it just happens that I asked for a luxman amplifier that I have always been interested in to be part of the demo too I do really like my Yamaha amplifier and it would take one special amplifier for me to change the Yamaha as the Yamaha was a £3000 amplifier .

And the other factor is I’ve never spent £5000 on a amplifier before it’s purely to find out if my Dali opticon 8s need a better amplifier or do I change my opticon’s for rubicon 8s or something else .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes I did used to like Arcam stuff in the 1990s but not sure about Arcam now I think if I spent £5000 on a amplifier it would have to be a serious amplifier for the money and I know you can spend endless amounts of money on hifi but I’ve got to be realistic in what I can afford .

gasolin

Blacksabbath25 said:
Well big disappointment I just came back from a demo from richer sounds they only had the rubicon 5s as a demo speaker hooked up to a Cambridge amplifier and Cambridge streamer

I listened to the rubicon 5s I like the treble end of the speaker and the midrange but the bass I found to be to booming which shocked me I do not no if it was the Cambridge amplifier not controlling the bass properly or what but put me off buying the Dali rubicon 8s or the rubicon 6s

but the treble end of the speaker was better then my opticons you could hear a lot more detail from guitar and vocals but when I asked him to put on some heavy metal the bass was over kill which I do not understand because I’ve got the big opticon 8s which you would of thought they would be the same but they are not .

the rubicon 5s are a lot richer sounding I felt but very impressed with the treble and midrange part of the speaker so it looks like I will have to stick with my opticon 8s because I feel if I buy the rubicon 8s I will have lots of trouble with bass problems in my room .

But then driving on the way home I kept thinking did they have the bass on the Cambridge amplifier which I forgot to ask at the time but still can’t believe how bass heavy the rubicon was

Try the Rubicon 2's

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
And slow down you lot I might end up with nothing tomorrow so do not get to excited as it might not be for a while as I really want to hear lots of different opinions before committing myself as your got to remember this thread started out about Dali rubicons .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Yes I did used to like Arcam stuff in the 1990s but not sure about Arcam now I think if I spent £5000 on a amplifier it would have to be a serious amplifier for the money and I know you can spend endless amounts of money on hifi but I’ve got to be realistic in what I can afford .

The A49 is a serious amp...but compared to the Luxman, is an Ugly Duckling, that simply doesn't ooze the same Class. The Luxman is just gorgeous and reminds me of my 70s Sony.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Obviously I’ve not heard the luxman yet but do you honestly think it’s worth the £5000 price tag ?

It is if it blows the Yamaha into the weeds, then yes...if there is little to choose between them, then no.

For me, it would be the 5K L-550 AX11 (Class A jobbie), with some Harbeths or ProAc and a Linn DS....worth every penny. *music2*

gasolin

They havn't made an epicon 3 yet

I mentioned epicon 2 because they are not so big so they migh have the right amount of bass and 100watt

shouldn't be a problem unless your play hardcore edm (bass), waf is also high as well as the price.

If you want danish mabye you should also listen to the Dynaudio Special Forty https://www.whathifi.com/dynaudio/special-forty/review

Ps my good your changing alot, almost as much as i do

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts