Dali Rubicon 6

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Rubicons are a very impressive range. We've had a few ranges from Dali over the years (Lektor/Ikon/Mentor) but none have really "grabbed" us. The Rubicons did. After those previously held ranges, I was a little dubious when the rep said he'd bring them in for us to try out. I thought it was going to be pointless, and that we'd end up with a wasted afternoon. We tried the 2 standmounts first then the 6 floorstanders. The first thing that struck me was their fast, detailed bass that seemed tighter than any other speaker at this price point (and this was running off a Naim SuperNait2). It had an energy to it that is more reminiscent to that of an active speaker. Nice three dimensional soundstage, clean sound, all helped no doubt to their build quality. Very detailed and open, without any nasties like tizziness you hear with some speakers.

With the 8 at £4k, it made a refreshing change to have a real quality loudspeaker at this sort of price point that didn't need hefty amplification. Whilst they will improve with better amplification, I can imagine them being quite popular for their energetic sound and efficiency, as well as just being a pleasant and rewarding experience. They're not offensive in any way, but they're not laid back and dull either.

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I had a quick listen to the Rubicon 6 next to the B&W CM10. I agree largely with David, the bass was much much tighter and expressive than the CM10. To my feeling they were a tad softer sounding than the B&W, which probably is a good thing for many people. I personally preferred the clearness of the mid of the CM10, but this might also be a bit more fatigueing. Don't get me wrong, the Rubicons are very revealing in the mid as well, but just a little less expressive with things like hi-hats. I think it really comes down to personal preference which one you would like. I have always been a fan of the CM10, but if I had to buy some speakers at that price point now, I would seriously take the Rubicon 6 into account.

SteveR750

David@FrankHarvey said:
The Rubicons are a very impressive range. We've had a few ranges from Dali over the years (Lektor/Ikon/Mentor) but none have really "grabbed" us. The Rubicons did. After those previously held ranges, I was a little dubious when the rep said he'd bring them in for us to try out. I thought it was going to be pointless, and that we'd end up with a wasted afternoon. We tried the 2 standmounts first then the 6 floorstanders. The first thing that struck me was their fast, detailed bass that seemed tighter than any other speaker at this price point (and this was running off a Naim SuperNait2). It had an energy to it that is more reminiscent to that of an active speaker. Nice three dimensional soundstage, clean sound, all helped no doubt to their build quality. Very detailed and open, without any nasties like tizziness you hear with some speakers.

With the 8 at £4k, it made a refreshing change to have a real quality loudspeaker at this sort of price point that didn't need hefty amplification. Whilst they will improve with better amplification, I can imagine them being quite popular for their energetic sound and efficiency, as well as just being a pleasant and rewarding experience. They're not offensive in any way, but they're not laid back and dull either.

David, which of the two floorstanders were more impressive / value - the 6 or the 8? The latter have an extra crossover, yet are more sensitive which is bizarre, but you might expect the bigger speakers to be a bit more ponderous in the bass? What differences did you detect?

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
I compared Dali Rubicon 5 and 6 to B&W CM 9 in a store downtown the other week.

To me the Dali's sounded much superior which was unexpected to me as I thought beforehand that I'd like the B&W the best.

Rubicon 5 sounds good on it's own, however the speaker is quite small in height which I personally don't like as I am 1,90 cm. tall. Listening to a speaker that small in height sounds "off"/wrong to me.

Rubicon 6 makes Rubicon 5 sound "small" in comparison.

It fills the room better with music/sound than Rubicon 5.

HomeSound

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I am a big fan of the Dali sound and the Rubicon was a long overdue addition to the range as a step up over the Ikon series. The Rubicon takes on the sound signature of the top of the range Epicon - the quick bass that has already been mentioned - at a more accessible price piont. We pitch them in store against the PMC Twenty series and they are obvious peers.

Like the Epicon series the Rubicon takes a while to come on song - out of the box performance is good but after a couple of hundred hours everything lines up and the speakers really do come on song.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
David, which of the two floorstanders were more impressive / value - the 6 or the 8? The latter have an extra crossover, yet are more sensitive which is bizarre, but you might expect the bigger speakers to be a bit more ponderous in the bass? What differences did you detect?

I haven't done any direct A/B between them, but I think because the 6s were the first we heard (along with the 2s), they has been more impressive to me. That's not to say the 8s aren't better because they are, but it might come down to room size as to which will suit the user better. I'd need to hear them side by side to answer your question properly.

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Does the sound of Rubicons (5 or 6) will also be superior if connect them to AVR? For example Marantz sr7009 or Yamaha RX-A830? Or they need good stereo amplification?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts