What is causing loss of clarity when there is singing.

Ian29

Aug 28, 2020
Visit site
I have a Cambridge CXN v1 streamer with a Roksan CaspianM2 amp with Chord Company Shawline 2XLR
chord Shawline X cable and Dali Rubicon 6 speakers. Sound was good but missing final punch especially with bass.
I have added a Caspian M2 power amp and whilst the bass and mid is great, clarity has suffered at top end. When just instrumental sound is great. When there is singing (say someone like Diana Krall) the end of words have a sssh sound (best way I can explain it) to them. First thought it was due to quality of recording but also happens on Tidal Master tracks. The sssh was not present before adding power amp.
Any thoughts to cause and advice to remedy? Thank you

First I'd just swap back and make sure things were as you recall - sometimes we listen harder when we change things.

Does sound odd though, and not what you'd expect. Clutching at straws a bit are the speakers in phase? I'd expect that to affect bass most obviously, but worth checking.

I'm hoping it's not a fault with the power amp.

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
Does it happen with headphones?

Try adjusting the input levels, reduce the input to the power amp, and to the first amp from the streamer.

I have a Wagner recording where halfway through there is a weird buzzing noise. And a weird sound sometimes appears on symbols on one or two albums, but not on most tracks. Sounds like this problem you have is more generic if it is on many recordings.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Is there an actual technical compatibility issue. I was mostly under the impression you needed to be somewhat careful using different brands of power amp’s and pre’s.
Is there a chance you could borrow/listen to a Cambridge power amp.

I could be completely wrong though.

Does it happen with headphones?

Try adjusting the input levels, reduce the input to the power amp, and to the first amp from the streamer.

I have a Wagner recording where halfway through there is a weird buzzing noise. And a weird sound sometimes appears on symbols on one or two albums, but not on most tracks. Sounds like this problem you have is more generic if it is on many recordings.
As far as I am aware the M2 doesn't have a headphone socket

Reactions: Noddy
Just checking you've connected as below and removed the links from your speakers?
View attachment 4564
That's assuming he's bi-amping, rather than using the integrated as a preamp, in which case there would be no cabling from integrated to speakers, and the links would still need to be in place.

Here's hoping you're on to something though, as we don't seem confident we can actually help otherwise.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts