Dali Ikon 6 mk2 placement advice

markkeogh

May 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
Got an exceptional deal from RS so my Castle Inversions finally have a fantastic replacement.
However I expected bass from these big floorstanders but I'm struggling to fully control it.
I've got them on my marble bases 220mm from the wall but I can't seem to balance the hefty base and I wondered if I'm a little close?
Anyone got some that can advise me and the room is a little over 4m square.
Also thinking of selling my Castles but they don't cope with low movie explosions and crackle but are fine with music so advice on best wording for advert and what to expect would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Mark

The magazine's review said they needed a bit of space, and should be firing straight ahead. Pull them out as far as you can from the rear wall and see how the balance is. If that's ok, push them back an inch or two at a time until they start to boom. Then that's your limit on how close.

You might want to try directly on the floor, also using blutac or spikes, to see the effect of decoupling and 'grounding'.

Experimentation is the key. I jot down notes and measurements, with sketches if need be, but you may have a better memory. Good luck!

(Regret can't help re sale of Castles)

manix

May 31, 2016
Visit site
You say the room is 4m square? so square it would be 2m x 2m. If this is so they seem rather large floorstanders for such a small room.

markkeogh

May 28, 2016
Visit site
manix said:
You say the room is 4m square? so square it would be 2m x 2m. If this is so they seem rather large floorstanders for such a small room.
Sorry just over 4m x 4m
About 4.3 each way if memory serves.
The marble tiles are fixed to the floor with blu tackle and then I have spike discs fixed to them. Then the speakers sit nestled on those with spikes so my isolation is direct to the ground. That's why I'm asking about distance before I have to decouple the marble platforms from the floor.
I'm going to have to move them aren't I?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
4 meters by 4 might still be too small for big floor standing speakers like the Dali ikon's 6s I have big Dali opticon 8s and I have mine 25 cm from back wall which is minimal distance that Dali say mine sound ok and do not boom I do use spike shoes this can help a little and try wooden chopping boards set the speakers on them or it's a case of down size too a smaller floorstanding speakers that do not over take your room like the ikon's do

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Try pulling them out from the walls, does it help? They are not near corners are they? Do you have any bungs for the ports? Square rooms are not the best shape for hifi. May need some room treatment for bass.

markkeogh

May 28, 2016
Visit site
I think they are spot on in some instances
Bi wired through a Marantz PM7003 and my deck and cd player are spot on to be honest.
My Castles were good but 'everybody hurts' by REM is my reference on cd and vinyl and it's a revelation with these.
Where I've got the biggest issue is YouTube and TV via my Yamaha RX A810 so I'm wondering if it's more equipment setup than speakers thinking about it.

markkeogh

May 28, 2016
Visit site
I think I've got it on the run now
Just lifted the marble slabs, which are stuck down to a hardwood floor direct on concrete so it's as solid as it can be.
Pushed them out to 285mm and we're getting there nicely now it appears on the music side.
I think the online stuff needs a bit of study though
Thanks for the advice all

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Mark,

Glad fixed. Mine are out 28cms which is minimum to mitigate boom, IMHO despite front porting for bass driver. Spiked through thick carpet into concrete. Denon's excellent DSP also helps and strikes a fine balance for music and movies. Found the rear -ported Opticons need >30cms. Happy listening.

markkeogh

May 28, 2016
Visit site
emperor's new clothes said:
Hi Mark,

Glad fixed. Mine are out 28cms which is minimum to mitigate boom, IMHO despite front porting for bass driver. Spiked through thick carpet into concrete. Denon's excellent DSP also helps and strikes a fine balance for music and movies. Found the rear -ported Opticons need >30cms. Happy listening.
Thanks
Very pleased just not used to so much I suppose as well.
Weird thing is my centre has got much more bass it seems but that may be the subtle interaction of the Dalis either side
Fantastic speakers on my music though which is the main thing
All the best

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts