Dali Ikon 6 5.1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am considering the above Dali speakers but am a little concerned that the wall mounted pair will be impeded by my having to mount them onto stud walling. I fear this will downgrade the sonic quality and balance. It looks as though they cannot be mounted on stands as an alternative approach. Any observations to help clarify the dilemma?

A

Anonymous

Hello Frog,
Thank you for your response. No, the cost would be similar (excluding standmounts). However, WH consistently recommend a matched set of speakers and I have interpreted that as meaning matched models rather than a matched brand. Maybe I'm wrong there. Dali also make (a bit cheaper due to the lack of an attractive cabinet) an Ikon 6 specifically for mounting within a wall. However at the sort of price the overall package is costing I am concerned that a vibrating and hollow stud wall will severely degrade the quality I will be paying for. I don't want to find out the hard way!

A

Anonymous

Thank you Frog, I will take your advice.
I live near Shrewsbury where there is a large HiFi shop (with a large web site) who stock Dalis and will book myself in for a demonstration with a view to purchase. I will also demo a few other bits of kit to go with them. I note one or two forum comments suggest they may sound a shade bright. I'll listen out for that.

A

Anonymous

I'm coming from a woolly, or maybe overly warm, system (An old Sugden A90 and some old Bang & Olufsen speakers).
Browsing through the forum (it's quite addictive isn't it) I note you are favouring Van Damme 4mm. The Dalis are stretching my cash and if you are right I could save a bob or two here. I have some long runs to wire up!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Wild Willy"]"Detailed treble" to me means 'bright'.[/quote]

Na‹ve comment, detailed treble does not mean bright. Lots of treble means bright.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="Wild Willy"]"Detailed treble" to me means 'bright'.[/quote]

Na‹ve comment, detailed treble does not mean bright. Lots of treble means bright.[/quote]

My comment was tongue-in-cheek but it's amazing how many products that I would call bright are labelled as being 'detailed'. For what it's worth I do think Dalis are bright and need to be partnered accordingly.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Wild Willy"][quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="Wild Willy"]"Detailed treble" to me means 'bright'.[/quote]

Na‹ve comment, detailed treble does not mean bright. Lots of treble means bright.[/quote]

My comment was tongue-in-cheek but it's amazing how many products that I would call bright are labelled as being 'detailed'. For what it's worth I do think Dalis are bright and need to be partnered accordingly.[/quote]

Not really. They are anything but bright.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="ranjeetrain"][quote user="Wild Willy"][quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="Wild Willy"]"Detailed treble" to me means 'bright'.[/quote]

My comment was tongue-in-cheek but it's amazing how many products that I would call bright are labelled as being 'detailed'. For what it's worth I do think Dalis are bright and need to be partnered accordingly.[/quote]

Not really. They are anything but bright.[/quote]

"Anything but bright" - what, are they they warmest and most syrupy speakers on the planet then?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have Ikon 6 and they aren't bright at all. They are detailed but they are listenable for hours on end with no harshness or fatigue.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]I have Ikon 6 and they aren't bright at all. They are detailed but they are listenable for hours on end with no harshness or fatigue.[/quote]

That's because you probably have them partnered correctly. There is nothing wrong with bright gear, so long as it isn't paired-up with other bright components. System matching is key.

*Some people naturally prefer a brighter sounding system though and to them it isn't harsh or forward. Horses for courses and all that.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim, What have you got your Dalis partnered with?
What has anyone else who owns Dalis got them partnered with?

A

Anonymous

OK, I've found out how to discover what kit you regular chaps have.
It looks like I'm in a lower division of hifi investment and frequency of kit change! The last time I went through this major excercise was tweny years ago.

I have a budget of £4k and need to finish up with speakers, receiver, amplifier and CD player. My music of choice is middle of the road - at moderate volumes. With new kit I expect this will change! My room is 6m. square and not overly soft furnishied.

I guess I'll have to raise the ante later in the year for stands, wires and a rack.

Spend my money for me please ...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts