Dali Ikon 2 with Arcam Alpha 10 - harsh treble output

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently purchased Dali Ikon 2 speakers and am very pleased with them for some types of music. They are mounted on 50cm speaker stands from Custom Speaker Stands (made of Oak) and Bi-wired to the Arcam Alpha 10. The input is a Bada HD-23 CD player and a Marantz CD-63 Ki-Sig CD player. The speaker cable is Cable Talk 4 Bi-Wire and the interconnects are Sonic Link 'Pink'. The problem is the treble performance which can be rather overpowering on most of the music I play (Groove Armada, Massive Attack, Faithless are my preferences). It is as if the treble control has been turned to max, although my amp does not have a treble control. I changed to the Dali speakers from my B&W P4's that I have had since the 90s. The change was to reduce the bass output overall which has been achieved. The P4s (I still have them) produce a similar over-the-top treble although to a lesser extent. I recently obtained an album by GlasVegas and on several tracks the treble is painful. Help and advice please!

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
The Icon2 has a ribbon tweeter or so called jet-tweeter like on some Elacs or Adam AX Series.These tend to be very clear and bright (analytic) but also can be painfull high.Its a matter of taste.
Coming from B&W you certainly have to get used to it,i can imagine.
Let your speakers settle in as the harshness will disappear after a while but still will be bright.Then you can decide if you can live with it.

naughty573

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
to be honest i tried to bi-wire with the Dali Ikon 2's and it simply does make things harsh and bright - went back to a single wire config and it lessens that effect so whilst i agree that time to run in is one of the solutions to your problem i reckon that running a single set of cables is another thing that could help you to remove the harsh edges from the sound

it will still remain treble dominant but it will be far smoother treble than if you bi-wire - it seems like the Ikon 2's just dont like to be bi-wired but my Ikon 7's in the main system on the other hand thrive on being hooked up to the AV Receiver via my MIT T2 bi-wireable cables and remain impressively neutral with those

A

Anonymous

Many thanks to Esra and naughty 573 for their responses. I have removed the bi-wire connections and re-installed the link to the tweeters. The difference is quite considerable! The treble output has smoothed noticeably and the sound is much more balanced with superb imaging. On Esra's advice I am running the system for several hours a day and will continue for a few weeks. Many thanks again, I'm really pleased with the results.

A

Anonymous

Ribbons need more than 100 hours break in. How long have your loudspeakers broken in for?

Your system is not supposed to sound on the bright side as both Arcam Alpha and Marantz CD63KI are warm.

A

Anonymous

Audio Maniac - thanks for your comments. So far I reckon 40 to 50 hours running. I am currently leaving the system playing a CD on repeat for 2 hours daily and things are starting to sound smoother and more balanced. Removing the bi-wire speakers leads has made a big improvement and I'm happy with the way things are progressing. I tend to mainly use the Bada player currently, and using the valve buffered output, so I would expect a warm overall sound when used with the Arcam as you suggest.

A

Anonymous

Hi EjayC. Let me know how your Ikon 2 are right now. I do like house music and I'm considering the IKON 2 MK2 for my next purchase once I liked soo much the Ikon 5( old version). However, im quite worried about their bass. Not sure if they come down and up fastly and if they start fatiguing after 30 min or something like that.

Can you tell me about that? Im also considering others like Dynaudio Focus 110,Proac Studio 115,Jamo C803,Focal Chorus 807,etc..

Regards

Ricardo

A

Anonymous

Hi RICARDOVASCO. Things are going well with the IKON 2’s and I’m really enjoying my music from them, they are much improved from new. They are the original, non MK2 versions, so I cannot comment on a direct comparison. As regards fast bass range, I would say they are fast but would need to compare them to later designs to comment accurately. With the music I play (Faithless, Pendulum, Groove Armada, Banco deGaia etc.) the response is fast and clean. Imaging and midrange/treble performance is especially good. They suit a well furnished room best, as a hard room environment would cause the treble to become fatiguing. A powerful amplifier is required, and with that and the best front end you can afford, I think you would achieve the bass performance you require. Sturdy speaker stands are also essential. The bass is definitely felt and well defined. These are entertaining speakers, never boring.
It would be best to get to a dealer and compare the IKONs with some of the other designs you mentioned. It is essential you take along some music you will be using them with, and spend some hours listening. I have found Sevenoaks (no commercial connection) particularly good regarding facilities, advice and patience, and they have had some great deals in the past.
I have no experience of the speakers you mention. I have always liked Dynaudio products, and Focal has interested me lately. You are going to have to get out there and compare some of these – not too many at the same time though!

A

Anonymous

I've read through the thread and noted all comments.

Although your speakers are still settling down it sounds like they would greatly benefit from:

a) A decent DAC

b) A Tube amp

For DAC I'd consider DacMagic, Beresford, Rega and Behringher Ultramatch.

For Tube I'd consider the Icon products (not the one with ECC82s in in though) or the Yaqin MC-10L

Your valve buffer may add a little 2nd harmonic but I feel you need to dramatically change the harmonic structure using the DAC and full Tube amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts