Dali Fazon F5

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi!

I've been lurking a bit in these forums, but this is my first post :)

I am looking to upgrade my speakers and would appreciate your input.

I am currently using a Naim XS with a Leema Antila CD player. My speakers are the Paradigm Reference Studio 100 (massive) floorstanders but they are the VERY FIRST version (I believe these came out in the late 1990s and the current version is 6). My listening room is small around 4meters on each side, and I listen to everything but especially female vocalists (e.g. Celine Dion etc)

I now have a chance to buy the Dali Fazon F5 speakers at a decent price (around GBP 2000 for the pair). The speakers are almost new and still have warranty.

My question is this; will the Fazon actually make an improvement over my current speakers, the Paradigm Reference 100s?

I know WHF rates the Fazon F5 at five stars but I cannot seem to find too much info out there on the internet.

Oh, I just took my amp and listened to the Fazons at the dealers place. I am still uncertain if they are an improvment, hence this request for help. They wont let me audition it at home.

Excitable Boy

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
PeterDs said:
Oh, I just took my amp and listened to the Fazons at the dealers place. I am still uncertain if they are an improvment, hence this request for help. They wont let me audition it at home.

Peter - Welcome ! In my view £2k is a lot to spend if you're not 100% certain they would be a step up, even if you are getting a good price. Why not go back for a second listen ?

T

the record spot

Only you can decide and if you're unsure, then don't buy them. Simple as that.
small-logo.png

A

Anonymous

Has anyone ever owned a pair of Fazon F5s? I find it strange that there is so little known about these speakers, makes the WHF review a little suspicious, IMO.

matthewpiano

PeterDs said:
Has anyone ever owned a pair of Fazon F5s? I find it strange that there is so little known about these speakers, makes the WHF review a little suspicious, IMO.

I don't see why it makes the review suspicious. The reviews aren't based on ownership statistics but on listening to the product and rating it in the context of its price and the relevant competition.

The Fazon F5 is an expensive speaker in a market where there are several alternatives. This price point is out of reach for a huge number of us and I've often found that dealers don't tend to push Dali as hard as some other brands, so there is bound to be less knowledge about it.

For what its worth I'm a big fan of Dali speakers. I've heard and liked the Zensor, Lektor and Ikon ranges and find them all to be very musically persuasive speakers. I've haven't heard the Fazons but I'd expect them to share the family traits although the key thing is that you have heard them and they don't seem to have won you over enough as yet.

Why not organise a shoot-out between these and other speakers from the likes of Spendor, PMC, Focal and the like? Then you can be really sure that you are spending your money on the right speakers for you.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think you have been given very good advice.

Don't part with any money until you have heard what else £2k can get you. There is stiff competition at this level...along with what MP has suggested, there is also the likes of Kef (R Series), Vienna Acoustics and Neat.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano said:
PeterDs said:

I don't see why it makes the review suspicious. The reviews aren't based on ownership statistics but on listening to the product and rating it in the context of its price and the relevant competition.

That's just it isn't it? If we are going to rely on WHF ratings, then we must assume they tested the Fazon F5 against rivals costing over GBP2,500 (its listed at GBP 2700 for the pair), and since WHF rated it at 5 stars, it must be an awesome speaker, considering the other speakers this much money will get you and hence the Fazon should be easily able to beat a $3000 speaker from 15 years ago (the Paradigm I have).

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
If you read the text of the review rather than just looking at the star rating, it's said to be a fantastic LOOKING, musical sounding speaker with clean mids, but doesn't give the best bass or play well at high volumes.

Whether that's a good compromise depends on the size of your room, taste in music, partnering equipment etc.

A

Anonymous

paradiziac said:
If you read the text of the review rather than just looking at the star rating, it's said to be a fantastic LOOKING, musical sounding speaker with clean mids, but doesn't give the best bass or play well at high volumes.

Whether that's a good compromise depends on the size of your room, taste in music, partnering equipment etc.

I read the review several times but I didnt realize that they gave star ratings in WHF for a product's LOOKS

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
PeterDs said:
I read the review several times but I didnt realize that they gave star ratings in WHF for a product's LOOKS

smiley-undecided.gif
Maybe, maybe not.

WHF said:
Yet, it’s rare that a speaker with so much attention to its aesthetics sounds so good. These are proper hi-fi.

Reading between the lines, I'm sure you could find better sounding speakers for 2K that are pig ugly and would never get in the mag. They say they are good, but in the text they mention the flaws, I'm not sure I'd really want too many of those flaws at their list price...

Just use reviews as a guide, they obviously sound OK, but whether or not they're for you, only you can know. If you're unsure, go listen to a few other speakers for 2K and a few above and below that price level. Maybe you're old speakers are better than you think, or you simply like them more than the newer ones you heard so far.

A

Anonymous

I think I will forget about the Fazon and look at buying a set of the new Kef R300s, I hope they match well with my Naim

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano said:
Personally I'd be looking at Neat speakers to go with Naim amplification. Match made in heaven.

I see, thanks. Any particular bookshelf model around the 1k mark that would be best?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts