Daisy chaining a sub off speakers, with tube amp?

gripchimp

May 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi there :)

I wonder if any of you clever bods can offer some advice.

I am currently running Arcam P85 and A85 combo, with B+W n804's and one Rel sub.

I am thinking very seriously about changing my amps to something more 'tubey', something which will of course only have one pair of speaker outputs. It has been mentioned to me that I can daisy chain my sub from the binding post of my B+W, so I am wondering if this would be possible with a tube amp.

My concern is that it would perhaps put strain on the amp, or not give balance, or some such annoying problem.

Any advice would be much appreicated.

Thank yous :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
You simply use the high level (speaker) connections on your sub wired to the same speaker terminals on the amplifier as the main speakers. The impedance of the sub will be very high compared to the impedance of the main speakers, the amp will barely notice them.

If you are using low level (line) connections, your new amp will need pre or sub outputs.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
gripchimp said:
Hi there :)

I wonder if any of you clever bods can offer some advice.

I am currently running Arcam P85 and A85 combo, with B+W n804's and one Rel sub.

I am thinking very seriously about changing my amps to something more 'tubey', something which will of course only have one pair of speaker outputs. It has been mentioned to me that I can daisy chain my sub from the binding post of my B+W, so I am wondering if this would be possible with a tube amp.

My concern is that it would perhaps put strain on the amp, or not give balance, or some such annoying problem.

Any advice would be much appreicated.

Thank yous :)

Welcome to the wonderful world of Tubes. Once bitten, forever smitten!!

TRENDING THREADS