Daft question, but why are Linn products so expensive?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

Linn are like what Mercedes-Benz were till perhaps the late 80s. They produced really well-built, over-engineered cars but then realised costs were spiralling. Today a modern Kia or Hyundai (you probably would laugh 5 years ago, but today you'd be the fool) is probably just as good and reliable, nevermind the Japanese cars.

And of-course like Naim, production for their cheapest products and up remain in the UK.

A

Anonymous

As someone who knows more than most about what goes into Linn products what I can say is the attention to detail and quality control is absolutely top notch. Maybe this is the reason why they are considered "dearer" than some other products on the market. It's common sense, if you want better quality equipment then you pay better quality equipment prices.

matthewpiano

manicm said:
shafesk said:
interesting point made by matthew, I think Linn charges a bit more because they can. Also I do agree that maybe calling Naim and Cyrus budget is a bit of a strech...I think midrange is perhaps more appropriate. Even then, you don't see Linn doing a 700 pound amp....

Not quite true, although they're selling well and financially healthy their profit margins are not as high as you might think.

I actually suggested it was one of several reasons why Linn kit is expensive. I believe the cost of virtually all high end products, in any industry, includes an element of paying for having a brand with recognised kudos. That does not mean to say that I think this is the main reason for the pricing. As I stated earlier, the use of more expensive components, work-force, and premises must all pay a significant (and probably much bigger) part.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
relocated said:
I might be wrong but I believe that the 'musicality' was down to spinning the platter faster than the proper speed.

I think you are wrong there, it was all about following the tune, and a bit of bluff about 'cogging' to put people off direct drives. Rega's current TTs run slightly fast, if you want to open another can of worms!

I agree with cno, they are not cheap, but they are mostly very good sound and build.

I owned a variety of TTs including Trio KD1033, Rega Planar 2&3, and finally ended up with the Linn LP12 which was leagues ahead.....though the mid 80s version was a little too "mid-rangy" for some.....but what do I know, as I'm a "mug punter" that only buys on hype!!

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
For those of you that don't know the real reason for linns priceing is to make up all the money scotland will need when they become Independant God bless Scotland and all who sail in her:) :) :rofl:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
toyota man said:
For those of you that don't know the real reason for linns priceing is to make up all the money scotland will need when they become Independant God bless Scotland and all who sail in her:) :) :rofl:

...and when the Scottish pound devalues, it will make it more affordable. ;)

A

Anonymous

toyota man said:

Bearing in mind that more than 55% of us don't want independance and are more than happy to be part of Great Britain. :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
That's a pitty we were looking forward to getting shot of you and buying Linn products on the cheap when your currency devalues :D

Anyhow how come south-of-the-border don't get a vote on whether to get rid of you or not.

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Linn's brand and business model don't fit with the low end. Time for them to segment the market and come up with a mass-market brand that leverages the technology at a lower price - e.g. Toyota vs. Lexus or Volkswagen vs. Bentley. Probably manufactured in the Far East.

Although I'm sure I read the other day that the entire UK hifi market is worth less than the earphone/headphone market?

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm a bit like cno on this one, I went through the Trio 1033/Rega 3 route, then looked seriously at an LP12 but resented the way that (in the 80s) the dealers were all aggresively driving you down the Linn/Naim route, so I started to look at a Pink Triangle TT (what happened to them?) and then as you can see from my signature, ended up with a Townsend Rock, which is (in many's views) ugly to look at but sounds fabulous.

Interestingly I regulraly heard Linn speakers at HiFi shows and they did nothing for me and I bought SD Acoustics OBS speakers instead. Very tranparent sound.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Tartan Man said:
toyota man said:

Bearing in mind that more than 55% of us don't want independance and are more than happy to be part of Great Britain. :)

Let us hope that all you nay-sayers get out and vote then.

I trust that Mr Salmond will pay back the billions spent on rescuing all the Scottish financial institutions and insist on an independant Scottish Pound where the [no longer united] UK Treasury does not pick up the tab for the catastrophic borrowing and spending that Salmond will engage in to stay in power.

A

Anonymous

relocated said:
Tartan Man said:
toyota man said:

Let us hope that all you nay-sayers get out and vote then.

I trust that Mr Salmond will pay back the billions spent on rescuing all the Scottish financial institutions and insist on an independant Scottish Pound where the [no longer united] UK Treasury does not pick up the tab for the catastrophic borrowing and spending that Salmond will engage in to stay in power.

I'm not going into a debate about Union or Independence and banking issues in a post that's supposed to be about HIFi products. I think it's disrespectful to the OP.

Anyway, back to topic. In my opinion, it comes down to customer choice. As with a lot of things people buy in life, if you don't think the product is worth the money then don't buy it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts