DACMagic and Windows 10

scorpiodave

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Hello, wondering if anybody has this problem. After buying a new laptop, running windows 10, my cambridge Audio Dacmagic is playing up. The PC just does not see it. Aware I need the latest driver (v3.26) I have had difficulty in getting to the Cambridge Audio website as my Norton anti virus keeps telling me it is a "known malicious website" !!! What is happening, anybody know? Is it just my Norton or has the CA site been hacked? May pop into my local Richer sounds to see if they know. Thanks.

scorpiodave

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
As soon as I attempt to open the exe file, norton reports as unsafe and removes it. it appears that Norton does not like the Cambridge Audio site despite the fact I have visited it numerous times in the past with the same Norton product. Strange.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Not strange at all. It's common for antivirus programs to report false positives.

I downloaded and scanned the file, it's clean. Disable your Norton protection so you install the driver and turn it on back again after you're done. Simple as that.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I looked at the Norton report on the site and it says that it contains a Trojan - TROJAN.GEN.SMH. This is a generic detection rather than a specific detection and it means that the Norton "crawler" software found something that has the characteristics of a Trojan but which could not be specifically identified. This is why it is just a warning. Norton says "Low risk".

It is worth trusting Norton though. I ignored such a warning on a well-known and trusted website (in another sphere of interest) before Xmas and it took me about 1/2 day to clean my computer.

Chris

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
scorpiodave said:
As soon as I attempt to open the exe file, norton reports as unsafe and removes it. it appears that Norton does not like the Cambridge Audio site despite the fact I have visited it numerous times in the past with the same Norton product. Strange.

You'd be better off removing Norton.

chebby said:
scorpiodave said:

You'd be better off removing Norton.

If you can, it's a ****** to do completely. It's also one of the most intrusive AV programmes I have ever used. Long since gone from my PC I am glad to say.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
If you can, it's a ****** to do completely. It's also one of the most intrusive AV programmes I have ever used. Long since gone from my PC I am glad to say.
Seem to recall you need a special removal tool which you can download from Norton's website. But I think in this instance the OP doesn't need to do that, just disable it while he installs the patch. I've never understood computer viruses. You need to be fairly computer savvy to write something that will crack AV software. Yet there's new viruses being 'discovered' almost every day. I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist but are we to believe that the people with appropriate skillset are just doing it for free when they they wake up one morning and think f'k it I'm not going into work today earning $300 an hour I'm going to sit here and write a virus instead for nothing.

scorpiodave

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
I appreciate what has been said about Norton but....I disabled it and downloaded the correct driver for the DAC from the CA website.It downloaded OK but my laptop still does not see the device.Tried another laptop running W10 and that is the same.Borrowed an older PC with Vista and that works OK, so the problem is how do I get the DAC working with W10?Have e mailed CA support with serial number in case firmware update required but I don't,think that is the trouble as it is fairly new.Any ideas welcome.

scorpiodave

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Still does not work!Hoping that if CA bother to reply it may be the firmware problem but I doubt it.Looks like this device just does not work with windows 10.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If you had optical your problems would be gone... but I guess you only have USB.

Do you get sound from the onboard PC audio btw?

scorpiodave

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Internal speakers work OK.Making the dac the default audio device seems to make no difference, the sound still comes from the internal speakers. Bear in mind this problem is not just on 1 PC. It appears to be a W10 problem.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the Microsoft website there do seem to be issues with DACs. Users report Fiio DACs not working in particular. I haven't pursued the threads but if you are an IT literate person it might be worthwhile.

Chris

What DACMagic is it? The DacMagic 100 for example can be switched between USB Audio Class 1.0 or Class 2.0. USB Audio Class 1.0 is natively supported by Windows 10 without any drivers required. It is just plug and play. Class 2.0 however, which uses higher speeds and allows sample rates higher than 96khz/24 needs a driver.

You could try switching to Class 1.0 if supported on your DAC. It's better than nothing after all? On the 100, the method to change the USB mode is as follows:

Switching between USB Class 1 and USB Class 2 operation Your DacMagic 100 will come set to driverless USB Audio Class 1.0 by default, but it can be configured to run in either USB Class Audio 1.0 or 2.0 mode. To change USB Class, press & hold the Source button while bringing the unit out of standby . One of the digital input source LEDs will illuminate to indicate the current USB setting: Digital 1 represents USB Audio Class 1.0, likewise Digital 2 is USB Audio Class 2.0.

Check the manual for your particular DAC.

Hi All,

Sorry if I'm reviving an old thhread, but this has been of use to me recently and there is some confusion that I hope I can clear.

What you need to do first is contact Cambridge via their tech support. You'll need the serial number from your DAC.

Let them know that you need a firmware upgrade for your DAC as the driver updates online are only compatible IF you have updated the DACMagic first.

With regards to the lovely "Norton". Ditch it. Norton and McAfee are the biggest, bloatiest resource consuming "virus" protectors out there. I hate them, both from a home user point of view and as an IT professional. The best one by far is ESET. There are no malware or trojans in the official cambridge releases, what Norton is describing is a "PUP" (Potentially Unwanted Program). Norton and McAfee treat everything as "danger danger!! System attack! you know nothing so we'll use up more system resources and take advantage of you not knowing what we're talking about!"

I'm currently waiting for Cambridge to assist (only been 30mins), in the mean time though I (as can others) can use 48k for what it's worth (remembering its either upscaled or downscaled).

Ben Armstrong said:
Hi Covenanter,

There are lots of threads, however make sure security patches are up to date for your OS and ensure the manufacturer provides the correct firmware and/or driver. That's usually the most common causes of problems.

He might have solved it by now. This thread is 7 months old.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts