DAC to ADC back to DAC

Salah57

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I have a DVD player with 4 DACs (Denon DVD-5000). I connect it to my Denon AVC-3800 amp using analog RCA cables. Digital signal gets changed to analog by DVD player & then amp changes it back to digital again, then does some processing & converts it back to analog signal again. Question I would like to ask is why the duplicate conversion in signal (DAC) & also what's the point in having a DAC in your CD/DVD player, when AV receiver has a DAC?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sal

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello Sal, welcome to the forum. I think there's a few things going on here, and you're getting confused.

To answer your last question first, there are DACs in digital players like DVD players and CD players so they can be plugged into the line inputs in analogue amps, such as your Denon. Secondly, your Denon substantially pre-dates 'digital' amplifiers and therefore, as far as I'm aware, audio fed into its line inputs is not converted to digital through an ADC then converted back again. It has one set of analogue inputs which accept discrete surround channels (labelled 'Ext. In'), a digital input which accepts AC3, and a number of other analogue line inputs and outputs which are all stereo (including a phono input), plus composite-video and S-video. I would imagine the amp has a multichannel DAC to decode the AC3, but no ADC as far as I can see. I'm sure someone else can confrm, but does that make sense?

TRENDING THREADS