DAC or NO DAC?

zac92

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys,

So....I'm hoping to buy my first proper hi-fi separates gear. I'm thinking Q Acoustics 2050is and a Marantz PM6004.

My source will be 320kpbs/lossless files from my MacBook Air.

My question is:

Do I need an external DAC, or is the MacBook Air's conversion likely to be good enough that I won't really be able to tell the difference?

On the one hand I don't want to have to spend the money if my Mac will do a good enough job so that the difference will only be minimal, but on the other I don't want to spend all that money on a nice hi-fi system and waste it because of bad source.....

What do you think? DAC or no DAC?

Thank youuuu!

Zac

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Did the answers in the other similar thread you posted not give you what you wanted?

Have a look at the AVI DM5 speakers when they are released (very soon I believe, but the AVI website should have more details). Connect to these an Airport Express and you're good to go.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
And so the marketing starts.

To answer your question zac92, yes, an external DAC will improve the sound, but there's no need to go overboard. A FiiO dac into the amp and speakers you suggest will give better quality than the mac straight out, at least judging by mine, and you'll have a little ripper of a system.

zac92

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much!

I've just seen the option to upgrade to the PM6005, which has a built-in DAC! Does this mean it'll override/bypass my crappy MacBook Air Dac as I'm hoping it will?

Also, can a MacBook Air connect via coaxial and/or optical to the amp?

If yes to all of these, I don't need a separate DAC :)

Thank you!

Zac

zac92

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much!

I've just seen the option to upgrade to the PM6005, which has a built-in DAC! Does this mean it'll override/bypass my crappy MacBook Air Dac as I'm hoping it will?

Also, can a MacBook Air connect via coaxial and/or optical to the amp?

If yes to all of these, I don't need a separate DAC :)

Thank you!

Zac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts