DAC or Amp with digital inputs for Ipod?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all,

First post so be gentle.

I'm a huge fan of Spotify and use it all the time on my Ipod Touch. Presently I'm just using a basic 3.5mm plug to phono connection that goes into the back of my Denon micro hifi with Mission speakers. I know this will have some of you audiphiles out there cringing but I'm looking to improve things!

1st up, I'm looking at the Onkyo ND-S1 Ipod dock as it has lots of good right ups, digital outputs etc. To connect it up I'll need some sort of DAC. For this I have a few options -

1. The Cambridge Audio DAC Magic being the obvious one which I could then hook up to either my Denon micro or my old Denon seperates amp.

2. Then there's the Onkyo A-5VL stereo amplifier which has an on board DAC and digital inputs.

3. I could also use one of a multitude of AV amps as they all have digital inputs. I have an Acoustic Energy aego AV amp which I use for movies on my Sky HD box and blu-ray player, but that is in the living room where my other half spends the evenings watching re-runs of Monk and Come Dine With Me, so I don't think it would go down to well if I hijacked the room to listen to my tunes on it.

4. Or will just getting a 'proper' Ipod dock be the way foreward?

Any feedback on the list above will be much appreciated and so will any other ideas!

Cheers

Michael.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
waiting:I'm a huge fan of Spotify and use it all the time on my Ipod Touch. Presently I'm just using a basic 3.5mm plug to phono connection that goes into the back of my Denon micro hifi with Mission speakers. I know this will have some of you audiphiles out there cringing but I'm looking to improve things!

The new Denon DM38DAB system has a USB you can plug an iPod directly into with the standard iPod lead and it will bypass the iPod DAC and use the Denon's internal DAC instead. (With remote menu control and charging).

No need for seperate docks/transports/DACs etc.

If you want to really improve things then the latest NaimUnitis have this provision to plug in an iPod digitially and directly with menu control and charging etc. (On all NaimUnitis made after August this year. Check with your dealer it is the right one).

The NaimUniti costs around £2200. (It has built in CD, amp, FM and DAB tuners, internet tuner, wireless & ethernet, and an excellent built-in DAC though).

If you can live without CD then there is the Naim UnitiQute for £1350.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info!

That little micro looks the biz and, like you say, there's no need for a separate doc and DAC.

This could be the future......

The Naim options are little out of my price bracket but look amazing!

Cheers

michael

A

Anonymous

Any solution which gets a digital signal out of your ipod will offer improvements as the DAC in the ipod whilst good, won't be as good as a bigger hifi.

Thought about buying a Sonos set up as it works with Spotify?

A

Anonymous

Not heard of the Sonos systems - are they lots better than Ipods?

Cheers

John Duncan

Be careful - not all 'made for iPod' accessories work with Spotify playing out of the dock connector. For example, the Uniti I have steadfastly refuses to, whilst a mate's sh-tty Bose iPod Dock does. And unless you can get retailers to get things out of the box to find out, it may be tricky ascertaining which is which.

Course, if you choose a Sonos (or your PC playing to an Airport Express via Airfoil, which is what I do to the Uniti, the combination of which sounds fantastic) then it's a moot point.

A

Anonymous

Good point - will bare that in mind...

I've read somewhere that the Onkyo dock works with spotify though.. might have engadget...

Looks like I'm taking the Ipod to my local retailer then to check it out!

both.of.me

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
waiting:
Not heard of the Sonos systems - are they lots better than Ipods?

Cheers

They are better in terms of sound quality but also offer a greater flexibility and more long-term options have a look at your local dealer or look at http://sonos.co.uk for more info.

A

Anonymous

Would second "both of me" - you have a good DAC, can get built in amplification and will work wirelessly and you can use your ipod touch as the controller.

It's pretty bullet proof as a solution with many configuration options - its just a bit more expensive than other solutions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts