DAC / Computer question?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
al7478:
So, bit perfect isnt much to worry about in a home hifi system? More of a psychological thing like the HD audio lights on a home cinema amp?

I'm not sure anyone was implying that.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Damn. Er...so its the holy grail and i really need to achieve it at all costs?

Sorry, its just i see so many threads about it but no-one actually says they can hear a difference. instead, you get lots of "i verified it was bit perfect because this software told me it was". Well, couldnt you hear it?

I also find myself thinking "well if even the volume can send it out of wack, isnt it to precariously balanced to bother"?

Its an important issue for me just now and im trying to find a consensus.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
al7478:

Sorry, its just i see so many threads about it but no-one actually says they can hear a difference. instead, you get lots of "i verified it was bit perfect because this software told me it was". Well, couldnt you hear it?

I also find myself thinking "well if even the volume can send it out of wack, isnt it to precariously balanced to bother"?

i think the main reason for that is to prove beyond subjectivity, that their pc/mac/software isn't impairing sound quality.

i seem to remember that you use the volume control in your media player, if that's correct is there any reason why you don't use the volume control in your speakers? using the one in your media player does reduce quality, iirc, and you should leave it at max.

A

Anonymous

I really like the new Chipmunks album. I believe it is called "Alvin and the Chipmunks 2: The Squekquel".

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Craig M.:al7478:

i think the main reason for that is to prove beyond subjectivity, that their pc/mac/software isn't impairing sound quality.

i seem to remember that you use the volume control in your media player, if that's correct is there any reason why you don't use the volume control in your speakers? using the one in your media player does reduce quality, iirc, and you should leave it at max.

If you use a plugin that enables bit perfect playback from your pc/mac, something like ASIO or WASAPI, you don't get any audio directly from your pc (the volume therefore doesn't work).

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Yes Craig thats right. I must admit i use it mainly juts because im often at the PC.

I didnt make my point about it being "precariously balanced" very well. What i meant was, even tho Apples are supposed to be bit perfect out the box, this is only if you set the volume to 100% (i believe). This again says to me how much difference can it make to sound quality? There is, as i have said, a shortage of people saying "it makes a big difference and you really should do it, as it really is more that theoretical". Or something similar but less long-winded.

I know the tweaks for Windows disable the volume and thats, again, i cant quite "get".

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i see your point, i've never even tried anything other then max volume in itunes, it's easier for me to just use the amp remote. no worries about sq dropping, whether it would be noticeable or not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts