DAC Chip in Marantz CR603

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all... I am considering Marantz CR603 for potential downsizing. When I look at their website, there is one "Aux in - Optical" on the rear panel. So I am wondering (1) what DAC chip is used in this unit (does it better than say, Marantz CD 6003 / 6004), and (2) I am curious whether this CR603 can be used as a DAC? (inputing digital audio signal from DVD via optical cable). I am currently using LG DVD player sourced to MF VDAC with a NAD amp (music only, never watch DVD). Too many boxes (and cables) in my apartment's living room...thats why downsizing probably will make my apartment and TV rack a bit tidier. many thanks.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
newtohifijkt said:
Hi all... I am considering Marantz CR603 for potential downsizing. When I look at their website, there is one "Aux in - Optical" on the rear panel. So I am wondering (1) what DAC chip is used in this unit (does it better than say, Marantz CD 6003 / 6004)

It doesn't matter does it? I used to be interested in what DAC chip was used in equipment. Not bothered any more. If it sounds good (and the M-CR603 sounds great) then the DAC must be fine, whoever makes it.

newtohifijkt said:
... and (2) I am curious whether this CR603 can be used as a DAC? (inputing digital audio signal from DVD via optical cable)

Yes it can.

I have one digital optical cable, from my TV, going into the back of the M-CR603. My Humax and Blu-ray player are both connected to the TV with HDMI. So any digital audio signal from either Humax, Blu-ray or TV can be played in stereo through the M-CR603's DAC.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
newtohifijkt said:
I am curious whether this CR603 can be used as a DAC? (inputing digital audio signal from DVD via optical cable). I am currently using LG DVD player sourced to MF VDAC with a NAD amp (music only, never watch DVD).

If you are using a DVD player for music only (CDs presumably) then you will not need to plug it into the M-CR603 because it has a perfectly good CD player built in already. (Unless you are using a DVD player for Music DVDs or SACD or whatever.)

A

Anonymous

Thanks Chebby and Matthewpiano........@ Chebby, yes, I am using the DVD as CD player, partly to save money and partly to save some space (DVD player is a lot smaller, less bulky). Do you mean that for playing CDs (not DVD Audio or SACD), a DVD player is already reasonably good? I was thinking CR 603 would sound better for playing CDs.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
newtohifijkt said:
Do you mean that for playing CDs (not DVD Audio or SACD), a DVD player is already reasonably good? I was thinking CR 603 would sound better for playing CDs.

Sorry. I meant... if you don't need the DVD player for SACDs (and you don't watch DVDs), why bother with it?

The CD player in the M-CR603 is excellent.

A

Anonymous

i see. Thanks. I will need to audition CR603 though. Hopefully can make my apartment a bit tidier and getting some improvement as I ditch my DVD player. I will keep the NAD C320BEE at somewhere else as I love it, and installing it again when I move out to a bigger apartment in 2 years time (I assume it will be OK? for electronics not being used for 2 years?).

A

Anonymous

Oh I still plan to keep my existing MA Bronze B2 speakers, so will hook it up to CR 603. Is this OK?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts