admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Thank you for your time and a great feedback Papasmurf25. Much appreciated!

I did see the option with Cyrus at Best Buys Hi-Fi Systems "Midrange" and still am thinking of it. They are talking about:
- Cyrus CD 6 SE cd player
- Cyrus 6XP amp
- EB Acoustics EB1 speakers

Papasmurf25, could you please let me know which models precisely you have, as I would like to follow that up and give a very strong consideration. Also if you give me more feedback about it - that would be great. I look forward to hearing from you.

Also any other comment/feedback from anybody who does have experience with Cyrus is welcome.

A

Anonymous

Hi music4eddie, a few thoughts:

As it happens, I'm upgrading my amp and cd player at the moment, to newer Cyrus gear. I've "lived" with a Cyrus 2 + PSX for 25 years approx. All those years ago, I spent 3 hours auditioning systems in a Hi Fi shop; the Cyrus amp blew the others out of the water at the time, I thought. (I remember one "opponent" being Arcam). I've just bought a new Cyrus 6VS2 amp from ebay; it's just gotta be even better than the Cyrus 2. (If you find you can't stretch to the 6XP, I'll give you the link for the 6VS2; bidding has finished but he's got 2 more left for £399, perhaps convince him to relist). Although if you do get the 6XP, even better. (I've been a Cyrus "advocate" ever since the eighties, after listening to its clean and precise sound, excellent soundstaging, etc). I'm going to be buying a Cyrus CD 6SE as well. (I heard a CD6 six months ago, and this blew away my old Rotel CD Player. It was truly delightful listening for me, and the 6SE is going to be even better!).

I've never heard of EB Acoustics and googling it came up with a car audio company, so can't comment there. Personally, I'm "falling in love" with Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T floorstanding speakers. For me, the design is better than anything else I've seen, surely a classic design. I haven't auditioned them with Cyrus gear yet though...

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your time and for a great feedback "gyroscope" - much appreciated.
In my previous correspondence, "papasmurf25" informed me that he has Cyrus pre-amp and amp... so I would like to hear from him or from anybody else which models they are precisely and how that Cyrus pre-amp/amp combo compare with Cyrus 6XP amplifier. The speakers EB Acoustic EB1 are mentioned in "Best Buys Hi-Fi Systems" - "Midrange" in "What Hi-Fi" reviews in combination with Cyrus CD 6 SE and Cyrus 6XP. It is not possible to hear those speakers as you can buy them only if you order them and there is 30 days return policy if you don't like them. However "What Hi-Fi" gave those speakers a great review that you can check on thier website.
Regarding speakers, I need shelf speakers as I won't have enough room in my room for floorstanding speakers. Any suggestions for shelf speakers to go with Cyrus combination?

A

Anonymous

Ah, misunderstood, having not read the other posts, sorry about that!

Ok, in my 'umble opinion, buying the better pre-amp/power amp combo and using it with shelf speakers is akin to buying a relatively expensive car and putting relatively cheap tyres on it. (Don't know if anyone else would agree with that). I personally think you'd be better to stick with the integrated amp.

I read the What HiFi review of the EB1's, they certainly do sound good but if I was in your position, I'd go for something with a little more pedigree; as well as a speaker pair I could audition with the Cyrus gear (Tannoy, PMC or Mission, for example). I'd even stray into studio monitor area to investigate, if shelf speakers were required: Event, Mission, Spendor, Quested, KRK, etc.

Another personal opinion to add is that the vast majority of speakers aren't designed sonically to be put on a shelf; even the smaller ones are recommended to have speaker stands. The exception to this is quite a few studio monitor speakers, hence the suggestion.

Hope that's been of some help!

A

Anonymous

Just stumbled upon this: don't know if they're of interest to you or not (no idea how they'd sound with Cyrus though):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Monitor-Audio-RS1-in-CHERRY-SAVE-OVER-100_W0QQitemZ380190104540QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers?hash=item5885189bdc#ht_500wt_960

A

Anonymous

The MA RS1 speakers are quite bright sounding and don't go well with Cyrus kit in my opinion.

TRENDING THREADS