Cyrus Two Or NAD 302

SeanRussell

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I already have the Nad 302 Powering a pair of B&W DM110 but I have the chance to pick up a Cyrus 2 for a small sum of money, I have always loved the Cyrus sound ever since hearing a Cyrus 3 with a pair of B&W Dm603s . Would this be a upgrade from what ive got? Also have noticed that the high frequencies and music with lots going on becomes merged together could this be the the stupidly cheap CD player im using or the speaker and Amp combo?

Any input is welcome Thanks

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Cyrus 2 is very detailed but sometimes a bit too forward for some, depending on your tastes and speakers.

Their value is fairly static so if you don't like it I doubt you'd sell it at a loss if you didn't like it, especially if you're getting it cheap.

Which version is it? The One and Two passed through seven (I think) incarnations over 9 years. The later ones are the best, with a flick-switch on the front and full-metal build, even though their Nextel paint is prone to flaking on the fascia.

SeanRussell

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Cyrus 2 is very detailed but sometimes a bit too forward for some, depending on your tastes and speakers.

Their value is fairly static so if you don't like it I doubt you'd sell it at a loss if you didn't like it, especially if you're getting it cheap.

Which version is it? The One and Two passed through seven (I think) incarnations over 9 years. The later ones are the best, with a flick-switch on the front and full-metal build, even though their Nextel paint is prone to flaking on the fascia.

Thankyou for the reply, it is the Cyrus 2 with the flick switch and the metal casing, Would it be worth spending a little extra on the Cyrus 3 or is there any othere alternatives such as the Audiolab 8000A. I listen to mainly folky and indie music at medium levels of volume

Thanks again

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yep that's (allegedly) the best one.

8000A is a great alternative which might be right up your street if you prefer a smoother approach. Plus it has tone controls. Both of them should be fine with indie, but one of them will suit your tastes better than the other, and it's difficult to say exactly which. Unfortunately I haven't heard a Cyrus 3, so I've no idea how it compares.

SeanRussell

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Yep that's (allegedly) the best one.

8000A is a great alternative which might be right up your street if you prefer a smoother approach. Plus it has tone controls. Both of them should be fine with indie, but one of them will suit your tastes better than the other, and it's difficult to say exactly which. Unfortunately I haven't heard a Cyrus 3, so I've no idea how it compares.

Thankyou I might give the Cyrus 2 a go and if I dont like the sound then I can always sell it and get my money back. have you heard it with the PSX ?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I have. If you like the Cyrus 2 on its own you'll love it with the PSX, but if you don't, then you won't, because the PSX doesn't change the amps sonic character, it just adds, well, more of everything (sorry that's very vague!) To use the PSX you need to remove two inline glass fuses from the Cyrus 2's circuit-board. It's dead easy, but you will need a torx screwdriver to remove the lid and a pair of pliers to remove the blanking-cap from the PSX socket.

I'd love to hear what you think of the sound; it's very 'Marmite'.

SeanRussell

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I have. If you like the Cyrus 2 on its own you'll love it with the PSX, but if you don't, then you won't, because the PSX doesn't change the amps sonic character, it just adds, well, more of everything (sorry that's very vague!) To use the PSX you need to remove two inline glass fuses from the Cyrus 2's circuit-board. It's dead easy, but you will need a torx screwdriver to remove the lid and a pair of pliers to remove the blanking-cap from the PSX socket.

I'd love to hear what you think of the sound; it's very 'Marmite'.

Thanks for the advice, sorry for the late reply ive been making some speaker stands :grin: I will let you know what I think about it, Hopefully if its anything close to the Cyrus 3 ill be on to a winner

SeanRussell

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Bases and platforms are finshed out of 4inch thick ash, Hope there sturdy enough :grin: I will most probably finish them tomorrow, I will try and get some pictures up. Unfortunatley Im not into vinyl although I do like some skipping and scratching once in a while

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts