Cyrus CD6SE/8SE + Spendor S5E = A good match?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all

Anyone have experience and or comments on the above potential set up? I am going to audition the new SE players Monday and am thinking about speakers too. The dealer has a great deal on the S5E's for £799 (I know they old model now...but seems like a good discount from the original price). I was also looking at some Standmounters, B&W 685's and CM1's. My listening room (living room) is on small size...16ft x 14ft. Speakers will need to go very near rear wall so will 685's be better as they are front ported compared to the CM's/SE5's.

I know some of you may smirk...but my amp is a Cyrus 1 which has just been serviced by Cyrus and still IMHO sounds great (and that's with my current setup of Denon RCD-M35 and Mission 762's).Once my budget has "recovered" then I will probably upgrade, but at the moment I think the money should be spent on upgrading my source and speakers?

I'm quite excited about hearing the new gear (through my Cyrus 1)...I am expecting to be blown away by improvements (if the salesman/reviews are to be believed).

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Cheers

Paul

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Spendor do go well with Cyrus, so no problems there. You may find your Cyrus amp a little underpowered for them - demo with your amplifier, and if you find yourself getting anywhere near the 12 o'clock position, you'll be needing more power if you occasionally want higher volumes.

A

Anonymous

Cyrus/Spendor is generally recognised as being a good synergy.

I've heard Cyrus with B&W though, and that they be a bit on the bright side.

A

Anonymous

Thanks! Yes they will have my amp to set up the new players/speakers.... amp is an interim measure at the moment until I can afford to upgrade it as well. I thought my current funds should be spent on improving souce/speaker as my amp is more than satisfactory at the moment.

A

Anonymous

Thanks! Yes they will have my amp to set up the new
players/speakers.... amp is an interim measure at the moment until I
can afford to upgrade it as well. I thought my current funds should be
spent on improving souce/speaker as my amp is more than satisfactory at
the moment.

A

Anonymous

Dr Shevanovsky:
Cyrus/Spendor is generally recognised as being a good synergy.

I've heard Cyrus with B&W though, and that they be a bit on the bright side.

Hi, I've heard that from a couple of folks now....about them being
"bright" and I like a more warm neutral sound and good bass notes (when
the mood takes me). So perhaps the Spendors are the way to go - just
not sure about the floor standers suiting my room and should I opt for
standmounters (as the B&W's). Am taking a wide range of music with
me, female vocals, male vocals, classical orchestra, pop, and some
light jazz. Hopefully that's enough to give me a fair idea if the money
will be well spent and won't be regretting a few months down the line!
emotion-9.gif

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:Spendor do go well with Cyrus, so no problems there. You may find your Cyrus amp a little underpowered for them - demo with your amplifier, and if you find yourself getting anywhere near the 12 o'clock position, you'll be needing more power if you occasionally want higher volumes.

Thanks! Yes they will have my amp to set up the new
players/speakers.... amp is an interim measure at the moment until I
can afford to upgrade it as well. I thought my current funds should be
spent on improving souce/speaker as my amp is more than satisfactory at
the moment.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
My kit is as below. I'm very satisfied with the Cyrus/Spendor set up.

CD8x/Psxr ] - Prevs2/Psxr - 2*XPower - Spendor S5e
LP12 - Rega Fono]
Cyrus interconnects and Nordost Super Flat Bi-wire speaker cable.

The relatively slim S5e speakers were acceptable to my wife. The speaker cable was chosen partly as it goes under the carpet were it could be trodden on. No stiletto shoes allowed!

A

Anonymous

SteveR750:Another +1 for Cyrus 6SE + Spendors, though there is a K2 in between them that has more clout perhaps for those loud sessions

Thanks for your input....how do you find the 6SE? Did you demo the 8SE as well? What was your CD previously? I am really looking forward to the demo, and as money is a little tight (and I wasn't planning on £800 fpr speakers), perhaps I could start with the 6 and upgrade later to the 8 and with the money saved put that towards the Spendors...hhmmmm decisions decisions decisions.....!

A

Anonymous

Miker:
My kit is as below. I'm very satisfied with the Cyrus/Spendor set up.

CD8x/Psxr ] - Prevs2/Psxr - 2*XPower - Spendor S5e
LP12 - Rega Fono]
Cyrus interconnects and Nordost Super Flat Bi-wire speaker cable.

The relatively slim S5e speakers were acceptable to my wife. The speaker cable was chosen partly as it goes under the carpet were it could be trodden on. No stiletto shoes allowed!

Cheers Miker

Seems like a general consenses that the Spendors work well with Cyrus kit. How do you find the Roksan? I believe it sounds amazing but just not sure on the aesthetics of the thing!

Just regarding the interconnects, I am running currently with Atlas Equator II but hear that the Cyrus should be used as that is what they used when tuning their kit in the factory...how do you find it and did you notice any difference if you used others previously?

A

Anonymous

don't know if this helps but demoed the spendor a5's today and they were very insensitive - 75w amp was clipping before decent volumes. apparently spendors can be problematic matches so make sure you demo loudly

A

Anonymous

milo:don't know if this helps but demoed the spendor a5's today and they were very insensitive - 75w amp was clipping before decent volumes. apparently spendors can be problematic matches so make sure you demo loudly

Cheers Milo

I will certainly be cranking the volume with my "old school" cyrus 1 amp which will be 2 fold really, One to check the actual amp as it just came back from Cyrus after service/repair for a crackling volume control and now number 2 to check the speakers. Thanks very much for the info.

A

Anonymous

Ok, so the Spendors seem to get the thumbs up....but are there any others that I should consider? Has anyone heard the new EB1's from EB Acoustics that WHF seem quite keen on
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

This may be simply unhelpful but I can't help thinking that you should sort the amp and speakers together and then do the source later. The amp and speakers are the key ones to match well. Source is important but can become a little bit irrelevant if the amp/speakers don't work well together.

Maybe you could get a DACMagic or Musical Fidelity VDac to add to your existing source (not sure if it has a digital out so would need checking), and do the speakers and amp as well.

SteveR750

psej71:
SteveR750:Another +1 for Cyrus 6SE + Spendors, though there is a K2 in between them that has more clout perhaps for those loud sessions

Thanks for your input....how do you find the 6SE? Did you demo the 8SE as well? What was your CD previously? I am really looking forward to the demo, and as money is a little tight (and I wasn't planning on £800 fpr speakers), perhaps I could start with the 6 and upgrade later to the 8 and with the money saved put that towards the Spendors...hhmmmm decisions decisions decisions.....!

I upgraded from a NAD C541 CDP and a c352 amp with B&W DM602 S3

I auditrioned the Nait 5i amp / cdp, the cyrus 6SE and 6 amp and finally the CD6 and the K2, all through B&W 685. The spendors i bought blind of ebay un auditioned!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts