Cyrus CD XT-SE Plus, DAX-X Plus - Worth Upgrading?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently have the "Mark One" CD-XTSE and the 2008/9 spec DAC-X.

Cyrus has just come out with upgraded versions, the "Plus" models for both.

Wodering if it's worth upgrading* to the "Plus" versions of either / both. Not had any trouble with the "Mark One" CD-XTSE that some have alleged. Not at all discontent with the current sound, so would it be a "keeping up with the Joneses" thing or would there be real audible benefits?

Feed will be into a Pre-VS2 pre-amp thence to twin 8-Powers in twin mono mode (changing these to twin then four Mono-X power amps is on the cards for later in the year), thence to proAc Studio 140 speakers, bi-amped / bi-wired. Everything that can be supplemented with a PSX-R power supply is. The Pre-VS2 could be upgraded to a DAC-XP "Plus" instead of just upgrading the DAC-X.

* I'd probably sell the old units and buy brand new replacements, rather than sending the old units away for upgrade.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Darren Heal:

Wodering if it's worth upgrading* to the "Plus" versions of either / both. Not had any trouble with the "Mark One" CD-XTSE that some have alleged. Not at all discontent with the current sound, so would it be a "keeping up with the Joneses" thing or would there be real audible benefits?

Feed will be into a Pre-VS2 pre-amp thence to twin 8-Powers in twin mono mode (changing these to twin then four Mono-X power amps is on the cards for later in the year), thence to proAc Studio 140 speakers, bi-amped / bi-wired. Everything that can be supplemented with a PSX-R power supply is. The Pre-VS2 could be upgraded to a DAC-XP "Plus" instead of just upgrading the DAC-X.

* I'd probably sell the old units and buy brand new replacements, rather than sending the old units away for upgrade.

I would think that's not a great way of spending a grand.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:Darren Heal:

I would think that's not a great way of spending a grand.

My thoughts exactly. Think I'll wait for the Dac-X Plus Plus.

T

the record spot

Is this "I need to upgrade because I need to upgrade" or is there a genuine reason driving this desire to up the Cyrus bottom line profit? As in, there's an existing deficiency in the sound that makes the additional spend worthwhile?

A

Anonymous

More a "is the upgrade going to bring real audible benefits or is it just an upgrade for upgrade's sake?" type question.

Cyrus, like all other manufacturers, upgrade their products from time to time as newer / better components (e.g. DACs, transport mechanisms, etc.) technology, e.g. CD vs. LP, and software are developed, or as the source of previously used components (like short production run DAC chips) dries up. If this wasn't the case we'd all still be driving Model T Fords and listening to 78s on old-fashioned gramophones.

I suspect the main reason for upgrading the CD-XTSE is to address problems some buyers are reputed to have reported with the "Mark 1" CD-XTSE, rather than quantum leap changes. Not so sure about the DAC-X, which is why I floated the question.

T

the record spot

I'm not querying the rationale in product development, more your reasons for wanting to change. More of a general question thrown out than specific to your situation though it seems?

A

Anonymous

I don't think I'd be too far off the mark if I said that the 'upgrades' were reliability rather than sonically focused.

Unless you're a Cyrus 'fan-boy' and absolutely have to have the latest then good luck. Otherwise if you're after a real improvement I reckon you can spend your money elsewhere on your system to greater effect.

A

Anonymous

I would sell on the Cyrus transport and DAC altogether, rip all my CD's to hard drive and invest in a DAC/streaming device.

I did this as a former Cyrus owner and noticed sonic improvements immediately, for a fraction of the price of the Cyrus kit. That set up would provide more convenience for accessing your music collection, plus, by connecting your streaming device to your router/PC, you will have access to podcasts from the internet and many, many internet radio stations. The 320kbps stations sound pretty good. I'll bet that with the rest of your kit, this arrangement would sound great.

You could do this via wi-fi or hardwire using Ethernet cable.

A

Anonymous

Cable Lover:

I would sell on the Cyrus transport and DAC altogether, rip all my CD's to hard drive and invest in a DAC/streaming device.

I did this as a former Cyrus owner and noticed sonic improvements immediately, for a fraction of the price of the Cyrus kit. That set up would provide more convenience for accessing your music collection, plus, by connecting your streaming device to your router/PC, you will have access to podcasts from the internet and many, many internet radio stations. The 320kbps stations sound pretty good. I'll bet that with the rest of your kit, this arrangement would sound great.

Sorry, not going down that route. Call me old fashioned, but....

Besides which the computerS live in the home office, not the living room.

A

Anonymous

Darren Heal:Cable Lover:

Well said. Computers are a pain in the ass.

With your system i'd be thinking of the following upgrade route:

1. PSX-R on PreVs2
2. 8powers to 2x MonoX

then eventually

3. PreVs2-PSXR & DAC-X to DAC-XP-PSXR

all good fun.

jules.

A

Anonymous

jules153:Darren Heal:Cable Lover:

Well said. Computers are a pain in the ass. With your system i'd be thinking of the following upgrade route: 1. PSX-R on PreVs2 2. 8powers to 2x MonoX then eventually 3. PreVs2-PSXR & DAC-X to DAC-XP-PSXR all good fun. jules.

1, Done.

2, When I get a new job - and I'm going for FOUR mono-X's (eventually).

3, Maybe, not sure the DAC-XP has enough analogue inputs though (turntable, DAB-8 tuner - will need the FM side in the USA, TV, DVD, etc.) Maybe I can rig the AV stuff through my AV-8 Master though.

4, You forgot 4. Move out of the flat and into a detatched house in the boonies so I can crank the thing up.

A

Anonymous

Nice.

May I ask what was your experience of putting the PSXR on the Pre?? Tonal changes? Detail, timing etc.

Thanks

jules.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Just FYI, guys, we've got a lengthy review of the Cyrus CD XT- SE + and DAC-X + combo - tested with and without accompanying PSX-Rs - in our next, March issue (on sale early Feb)

A

Anonymous

Transport side is a major upgrade. Previous one was just a CD8SE without the DAC.

I think the DAC-X is more minor. Everyone says that DACXP is the best pre-amp that Cyrus have made so I would not rule it out.

Most people think there are better power amps for the money than 4 monoX.

A

Anonymous

jules153:Nice. May I ask what was your experience of putting the PSXR on the Pre?? Tonal changes? Detail, timing etc. Thanks jules.

Picked one up cheap on Fleabay and it completed the set. To be honest never used the Pre enough before adding the PSXR to be able to compare.

A

Anonymous

Just got my Cyrus cd xt plus off flee bay and there are sonic improvements over the non plus version. I think its worth the upgrade for sonic reasons alone but the transport I have is still picky over disks. Mind you the firmware on my xt se plus is not the latest and Cyrus has ensured me that upgrading the firmware will solve operational problems but not add anything soundwise.

A

Anonymous

Actually I have just solved my replay problems on my Cyrus cd xt-se +, it will moan about music burnt on normal cd-r but if you use 'Audio grade' cd-r it works perfectly.

A

Anonymous

Also just discovered any audio cdrs burnt from my laptop give reading problems but if the same music files are burnt from my PC Desktop it works fine. Weird???

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts