Which Cyrus streamer

hificonfused

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
My primary source is a Rega p3 with elys cart through project ds+ phono amp into Cyrus pre vs2 serving x200 signature power amp and b and w CM10. I also have a cd8se which is used as a secondary source.

I have until recently been using a apple mac mini as a streamer going through an arcam rDac for general non specific listening. The Mac mini has recently died and rather than simply purchasing a replacement Mac I have been considering alternatives.

Purchase a Cyrus streamer xa which has an on board dac or replace with a streamer x signature and use the arcam dac unitil funds allow the purchase of a dac xp signature.

Has any one compared the two. Basically I think I am asking is the upgrade from prevs2 to dac xp signature worth the £2.5k.

Or would I be best to upgrade to the dac xp signature first as the streaming is only my third level of listening and use the basic Mac mini as the streamer.

Any guidance before going to dealer would be most appreciated.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Iam not familiar with any of the Cyrus kit you mentioned above. Except that they all sound like big money :)

So if you are open to trying digital source components from different companies, maybe I can suggest something. And what is your budget ?

Are you looking for just a streamer or also want it to have onboard storage just like your macmini

hificonfused

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes am open to alternatives. The Mac mini storage is not used to store music files as I use a nas drive.

I gues the budget is £1300.00 for the streamer. But the Cyrus DAC is I think getting on for £3,000.00.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Melco, Auralic and others all have great solutions but of course aesthetically won't exactly fit in with the nice Cyrus looks.

I guess it depends what you need the streamer to do but why not consider a CCA, save money and spend it elsewhere? Streamers are just simple computers, why spend a fortune there as long as you can route it through your Cyrus DAC? Even a Raspberry Pi will probably do the job just as well no?

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Storage, then no point plonking big money on the Melco.

Digital streamers are a lot about the control app. So bluesound node 2, auralic aries mini are good contenders. The bluesound has a decent dac too. But auralic doesn't have one. The Yamaha wxc-50 is also good, albeit at a lower price point, and comes with a dac. All the above three have good control apps.

Next on the list is Cambridge audio cxn, which supposedly sounds superb and comes with an onboard dac. This will be easy to audition at any richer sounds.

If you want to blow your entire budget on one single component with inbuilt dac, the Cambridge azur 851n will fit the bill.

There is also a Linn sneaky at that price point.

As an alternative to the above options, you can add a raspberry pi to your existing irdac or even a CCA as drummerman suggested.

The list of available digital streamers is huge, and there is a new one launched every Sunday, so google and see what else you can find.

I personally use the wxc 50 and a bluesound powernode, and happy with both of their user interfaces. But the wxc-50 Trump's most others in its flexibility and compact size.

And if you want to dip your toes into tidal mqa , the bluesound is the only option from the above.

And if you want to use roon in the future, the bluesound and auralic aries are the only ones from the list that can act as roon endpoints. So options options :)

TRENDING THREADS