Cyrus amps

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Some time back I was writing about my change from an 8VS to a new combination PRE XPD +X-Power.

After 3 weeks it is still sounding very harsh and bright,bright !!!.

What Hif was recommending the PRE XPD with an 8 Power. and also a Swiss Magazine was describing the X-Power as very bright.

Anybody in the forum has heard both in comparison ?

Edgar

JohnnyC

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
I have the X Power with the Pre VS2. Not bright at all. I haven't heard the 8 Power, but I'd imagine it would not be too dissimilar from the X Power.

It could be your source - CDP or speaker cables/interconnects etc. Also, what speakers are you using?
These can and usually do have a large impact on the Cyrus sound.

A

Anonymous

Id go with that, as I have exactly the same kit JohnnyC, but Cyrus does depend alot on what speakers your running with it and stay away from QED cables.

Spendor, Dynaudio, harbeth to name a few seem to match cyrus very well, as they smooth the presentation out.

I went for van den hul interconnects as they are well renownd for being smooth in the trebble, to also calm it down. Ulimately the cyrus sound may not be for you if you don't get on with it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the comment.

I'am having AE1 MK3 reference speakers which had no problems with the 8 VS. Also the speaker cable and the interconnects did not change.

Perhaps I have to be more patient regarding the time to run in.

JohnnyC:I have the X Power with the Pre VS2. Not bright at all. I haven't heard the 8 Power, but I'd imagine it would not be too dissimilar from the X Power. It could be your source - CDP or speaker cables/interconnects etc. Also, what speakers are you using? These can and usually do have a large impact on the Cyrus sound. ...especially if it's an all Cyrus system.

A

Anonymous

True, cyrus have some speakers that sing with them, and other that sound like nails down a board!

A

Anonymous

You also have to allow for a pre and power will be alot more revealing, so you are hearing a purer sound, and this might be more revealing in the treble. Just a thought.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Even though pre/powers are more revealing than integrated amplifiers, the Cyrus pre/powers are smoother and easier on the ear than the 6 and 8 integrated amps, so if they're coming across as bright, there must be something seriously wrong in the system somewhere.

Cyrus does tend to take a good hour or two to warm up properly - are you allowing enough warm up time before listening?

The only other possibility (and for me, quite possibly the issue here) is that when speakers aren being driven and controlled properly, they tend to exhibit a soft, warm sound that lacks punch - I suspect maybe the Cyrus 8vs2 wasnn't driving the AE1's properly. Moving to the pre/power, you're sunely driving them a lot better, and you've suddenly got a sound that is far more precise, with more of a sense of urgency and snap about it, which maybe you're not used to.....

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
There's quite a difference between an X Power and an 8vs2, regardless of what the specs hint at
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Trust me, the pre and x power trounces the integrated in every way, far more grunt and dynamics.

A

Anonymous

Can you tell us your complete system including source, all interconnects and cable etc.

A

Anonymous

had a creek evo amp before with the leemas, and the cyrus sounds better. There is more clarity now where before it sounded lovely, but no seperation between it all. Hope that helps.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
JohnNewman:Does Cyrus still sing with Mission speakers. At one time they were made for each other, but is this still the case?

It depends which era of Mission you're referring to. To my mind, they've not produced anything as good as the old 75 series, not that I was a great fan of those either. With the newer 6 and 8 amps, you should find the 75 series will work quite well with them. I think the older 6 and 8 vs and vs2 incarnations might be a little lean for them.

Sliced Bread

FrankHarveyHiFi:
JohnNewman:Does Cyrus still sing with Mission speakers. At one time they were made for each other, but is this still the case?

It depends which era of Mission you're referring to. To my mind, they've not produced anything as good as the old 75 series, not that I was a great fan of those either. With the newer 6 and 8 amps, you should find the 75 series will work quite well with them. I think the older 6 and 8 vs and vs2 incarnations might be a little lean for them.

Thanks Frank :)

I was thinking of the 782's?

Been looking at adding a stereo amp for ages, but I put it on hold due to a new addition to the family. I've considered Naim and Roksan, but curious about Cyrus too!

A

Anonymous

Hi Edgar,

I moved from the same to the same and have found the difference to be greater grunt at the lower end but not bright. I originally had B&W CM&'s and hated them but the Spendors are wonderful - I also found a gem with the speaker cables from DNM - very affordable and wonderful - worth a try!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts