Cyrus Soundkey Pixel Pro 7 compatibility

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Morning all, I recently changed my phone from a Huawei P30 Lite New Edition to a Google Pixel 7 Pro. I'd purchased a Cyrus Soundkey to use with the Huawei because the output from the headphone socket was so low (particularly noticable when used plugged into the car). Now I'm trying to use the Soundkey with my Pixel 7 Pro because it doesn't have a headphone socket at all (I'm still using some old Sennheiser CX300II in ears) but it has a weird issue. Initially the music plays fine but after a minute or so a very digital distortion starts to come in for up to a minute and then fades away again. I can only describe it as sounding like Alvin and the Chipmunks put through a Dalek vocoder.

It happens with multiple sources including the PowerAmp music player app playing local files and with BBC Sounds but the Soundkey has no issue with any source when plugged into my laptop. The file format (FLAC or mp3) appears to make no difference. I know when the Soundkey was first released there was a "clicking" issue caused by the SoundKey having to resync it's clock if the source had a non-standard clock pulse and the way this fades in and out suggests some sort of digital timing issue to my mind but I was wondering if anyone else had come across this and if there was a fix at all?

I've tried googling but nothing like it comes up, and very little since about 2019 at all. Obviously I'd like to find an answer that doesn't involve buying bluetooth headphones, a different DAC or a new car (although the last is very likely at the moment...).

MCtimes

Apr 9, 2023
Visit site
Morning all, I recently changed my phone from a Huawei P30 Lite New Edition to a Google Pixel 7 Pro. I'd purchased a Cyrus Soundkey to use with the Huawei because the output from the headphone socket was so low (particularly noticable when used plugged into the car). Now I'm trying to use the Soundkey with my Pixel 7 Pro because it doesn't have a headphone socket at all (I'm still using some old Sennheiser CX300II in ears) but it has a weird issue. Initially the music plays fine but after a minute or so a very digital distortion starts to come in for up to a minute and then fades away again. I can only describe it as sounding like Alvin and the Chipmunks put through a Dalek vocoder.

It happens with multiple sources including the PowerAmp music player app playing local files and with BBC Sounds but the Soundkey has no issue with any source when plugged into my laptop. The file format (FLAC or mp3) appears to make no difference. I know when the Soundkey was first released there was a "clicking" issue caused by the SoundKey having to resync it's clock if the source had a non-standard clock pulse and the way this fades in and out suggests some sort of digital timing issue to my mind but I was wondering if anyone else had come across this and if there was a fix at all?

I've tried googling but nothing like it comes up, and very little since about 2019 at all. Obviously I'd like to find an answer that doesn't involve buying bluetooth headphones, a different DAC or a new car (although the last is very likely at the moment...).
Hi, I've had the same problem. I've had a Cyrus Soundkey for quite a while and recently bought a Pixel 7. I'm getting the same distortion you've experienced. Didn't have a problem with my previous phone - an Honor 9. I haven't come across any online references/solutions but only really just started looking as had the phone just a week now.

Gray

I can only describe it as sounding like Alvin and the Chipmunks put through a Dalek vocoder.
That's a very good description of the sound I sometimes get when playing back things I record using audio software on the PC.
(It also sounds a bit slower too, like it's dragging behind).

I've always suspected a sample rate mismatch where things can't quite sync up and they stay out of sync.
Mine needs a restart - whereas yours are fading 🤔

Wish I could help, but I reckon you're on the right track with timing / syncing error.

jhonsmint

Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
Here's a revised and expanded version of the original response:

Your description of the sound you hear when playing back recordings made with audio software on your PC is quite accurate. The sound seems to be slightly slower than it should be, almost as if it's dragging behind. This effect could be due to a sample rate mismatch, where the audio software and hardware are not perfectly synchronized, causing them to drift out of sync over time.

It's worth noting that sample rate mismatches are not uncommon in digital audio, especially when using multiple devices or software programs together. When this happens, you may experience timing errors, dropouts, or other audio artifacts that can be difficult to diagnose and resolve.

In your case, it sounds like a timing/syncing error is causing the problem. Unfortunately, troubleshooting these types of issues can be quite challenging, as there are many factors that can contribute to timing errors in digital audio.

One potential solution to consider is restarting your PC and/or audio software, as this may help reset any settings or configurations that could be contributing to the problem. Additionally, you may want to check your audio hardware and software settings to ensure they are all configured properly and are compatible with each other.

Overall, dealing with timing/syncing errors in digital audio can be frustrating, but with patience and persistence, you should be able to identify and resolve the issue over time. Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts