Streaming from Macbook Pro to old Yamaha RX-V1500 receiver

AVChappy

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi All

Would appreciate any advice that I could get please.

I'm trying to connect my macbook pro to a slightly old Yamaha AV receiver, the RX-V1500, using the digital output from the headphone socket on the Mac. I've plugged a mini-toslink to optical cable between the Mac and the digitial optical input socket on the Yamaha.

I seem to be getting a red light at the Yamaha end of the cable when its connected to the Mac (although not very bright) but don't actually get any sound at all from the Yamaha when I play something on the Mac.

So am left wondering if what I thought was the right solution is wrong, whether its a configuration setting thing on the Mac end (had fiddled around with Midi Audio Devices options to no success) or whether I need some sort of intermediate converter device / Dac.

Appreciate any thoughts anyone might have.

Cheers

Chris

AVChappy

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi John

Thanks for replying and apologies for my slow response as I was called away.

In response to your question, when I plug the cable into the Mac, in System Preferences/Sound/Output, the system seems to be automaticsally selecting the Digital Out option and does say "Optical digital-out port" under type. I can deselect this and select other options such as Soundflower (which if memory serves was installed to faciltate connecting an electric guitar to the Mac) for example.

I have also noticed that the output volume on the same panel is locked at maximum volume and the sound level icon in the top bar of the main desktop is also greyed out.

Thanks

Chris

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
That's what you should be getting when the optical port is selected. Is the Yamaha receiver definitely setup correctly so that the input you've selected is using the optical port you're plugging the Mac into?

AVChappy

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Good to say hello and thanks for help.

Sounds like Mac end is ok so have taken a look at the Yamaha manual. Not an expert so that doesn't help but I'm struggling to find a way to confirm that the socket is set correctly. I had assumed it was as its labelled Digital input and is an optical socket. Its actually set up for input from a CD so assumed that would be best option (others are for things like phone, DTV, VCR etc).

Apparently the receiver should automatically select between a digital and an analogue signal depending upon what its being fed when using the auto option. This socket is set to auto. However I'm unclear whether the feed from the Mac is a format the receiver can process or how (if I can) I change what the receiver is expecting on that end to match whatever the Mac is outputting.

C

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Okay, have read the manual now for your receiver and it's a bit different from other receivers I've used so I can see what you're saying. Just to be sure, you've got an optical cable hooked from your Mac to the CD optical input under the Digital Input section on the back of the Yamaha? i.e. number 3 on the below:

9269883017_be5378681c_o.png

The Yamaha is also set to Auto for this port, and the Yamaha amp itself is set to the CD input?

And your Mac is saying is that it's outputting to the Digital Out Optical digital-out port, under System Preferences > Sound and Output tab?:

9272705894_55915cc6fb_o.png

If so, the only suggestion I have left is to ensure the Yamaha amp isn't muted?!

AVChappy

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Wow, thank you for taking the time to look into this for me and to John as well.

I do indeed have the optical cable plugged into socket 3 as you say and set to auto. The receiver is set to CD and I've tried varying volume levels to see if the sound was just a bit on the quiet side so not muted - great minds think alike :)

And I've got the digital output setting as you indicate under system prefs.

will keep fiddling and reading manual and see if anything else explains issue and if I find out will post solution here as may be of use to others.

Really appreciate all the help I've got here

C

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
No worries - baffling.

I suppose the other thing to do is to try another optical source in that port e.g. a CD player if you have one, and also try some of the other optical input ports and make sure this is working correctly.

Hope you get there!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts