Cyrus 8 Qx DAC or Cyrus 8 DAC or ?????? with Spendor A5s

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Apologies to those of you who have already helpfully contributed to a thread on the same topic, that I posted late one night with a rather obtuse "Subject". I'm hoping this more obvious title might attract the attention of some others.

Is there anyone out there happily using a Cyrus 8 DAC or 8 Qx DAC (amplifier/DAC combos) with Spendor A5s? I currently have a Cyrus 8 Qx DAC on loan, in place of my Roksan Kandy LIII, and am finding the combination exceedlingly harsh sounding. Very revealing, but not easy listening. I don't know how much running in time the Cyrus has had; maybe it will get less harsh sounding with time. ??

I am considering replacing the Kandy with an amp with built in DAC; the Cyrus was an obvious one to consider since I have a Cyrus CD8 SE. Others have suggested the Leema Pulse III. How does this compare with the Leema Elements amp with DAC option? What other recommendations can people make to go with the Spendors.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Cyrus - revealing? Harsh? Not easy listening?

I really think you have answered your own question!

Some like the sound, some don't

I would not of thought the amp would sound any different with use IMHO

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I really think you have answered your own question!

I haven't really answered it at all. That was an observation; the question was, "what other recommendations can people make to go with the Spendors?".

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yep sorry didn't read your post properly!

The Leema is very well thought of and to be honest if I had the money and was starting with a blank canvas I would be looking at the Leema Amps & DACs, you only have to browse there website to see the work that goes into there products. They look stunning too!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
First things first, we need to make sure there isn't any problems with your system. When you play music, are the mid and bass drivers vibrating? Is the system in phase?

I don't think I've ever heard any Cyrus/Spendor system sound "exceedingly harsh", espcially with the newer integrated amplifiers - only the olver 6 and 8 VS and VS2 models had a lean/bright tone to them.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Hi David,

Yes, it's in phase. Maybe "harsh" isn't the best description, but "bright" would be. The clarity and detail is amazing, but it seems tiring to listen to. I suppose it could be described as very digital, which of course it is, without the warmth one would expect from an analogue source.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Being used to the smoother Kandy will probably make the Cyrus seem that little bit brighter than it is. You can usually become accustomed to the sound of something quite different if you give it enough time. First thing to do is decide if there are aspects of the Cyrus that improve upon the Roksan for you or not. If not, it's a moot point as to whether the Cyrus is brighter or not.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
David,

We spent some more time with it yesterday evening; I had been away for two. We listened to some REM (AFTP) and Queen's Innuendo. We switched back and forth between the digital and analogue inputs to the Cyrus 8 Qx DAC i.e. switching between the Qx DAC in the amp and the DAC module in the CD player. Wow! What a difference. The Qx DAC reveals so much more. Bypassing it was much more like listening through the Kandy. Smoother, but incomplete. The Qx was growing on us. Just before going to bed, as we listened to The Show Must Go On, my wife said, "I think I'm a convert".

I'm sure it would grow on us. It goes back to Audio-T in Swindon today, so for now that'll be it, but before I make the plunge what else should I consider and audition? Something Naim, maybe even the Uniti2? Something Linn, maybe the the Majik DSM? Something Leema, maybe the Pulse 3 or the Elementa amp with built in DAC?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm guessing you're looking around the £1k mark.

Yes, the Naim Nait 5i and the Elements amplifiers are both worth trying out. Obviously you can plug the 8se digitally into the Elements, but you won't have that option with the Naim. I'm not sure how well the Cyrus and Naim will pair - it isn't a combination I've tried, and I don't think anyone else has tried it either!

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I have :D I can't speak for older stuff which apparently is harsher.. But i found with a Naim source and Cyrus amp section sounds absolutly amazing! The Naim gives the mids/ Bass a little boost and punch.. Works wonderfully with a lot of music i listen too.. I loved the airyness of Cyrus and found Naim amps sounded 'loud' and almost hurt my ears.. The combo works beautifully for me..

You have all the kit the David Try it and let us know what you think :)

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
BigColz said:
You have all the kit the David Try it and let us know what you think :)

David, it would indeed be good to hear your thoughts, Cyrus into Naim and Naim into Cyrus, if you get a chance to try them out.

Also, how good is the NaimUniti 2. Does it stack up against the separates?

SteveR750

I wold recommend trying the Caspian M2 with the A5s. Like you, I was really disappointed with the Cyrus 8 amp with my spendor S6e, and havent heard anything since from them to change my mind. The M2 is a much bigger sounding, controlled sound than the Kandy. It's not got a built in DAC, but you can add a separate DAC that gives you a bigger choice ultimately.

If you must go down the integrated DAC route, what about the Naim Supernait?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts