CXA60 with KEF LS-50's?

M300281

Dec 30, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone

Just thinking through some options for my setup. I already have a Cambridge Audio CXA60, I'm thinking of adding some KEF LS50 speakers as they are currently £550.

The only issue is, I have read various things in forums about the Kef's needing a lot of "juice" - the CXA60 is a reasonably humble 60w/channel. This post implies it is just about enough but some people say you need more like 100W+per channel

https://us.kef.com/blog/finding-the...sive-speakers-part-ii-putting-it-all-together

So as a direct question, has anyone used a CXA60 with Ls50's and had good or bad results? Feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
I can’t help with the LS50’s (still to hear a pair!) but I have owned a CXA60. It has many virtues but it has quite a bright and forward presentation which I know can be one of the criticisms of the LS50’s. You might like that style of presentation but I’d expect that combination to be quite bright. I moved the amp on as I found it fatiguing to listen to for more than half an hour.

M300281

Dec 30, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Steve.

Just in case anyone stumbles across this in the future, the consensus from another forum was that the CXA60 is not a good match for these speakers.

Apparently they would just about work together but would start to hit power issues at around the half way point, the amp may also start to run physically hot!

Ditching these speakers as a bad idea.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts