Denon Ceol with Kef Q150 's (Was with Dali Zensor 1's for six years)

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I have got my Denon Ceol N9 now connected up to some Kef Q150's and they sound even better than the excellent Dali Zensor 1's I have been using for the last 6 years, the sound is bigger and more open and can go louder within its comfort zone, and gives everything more space to breathe

I have even heard a system with a separate amplifier connected to some Kef LS50's and it sounded amazing, that is down mainly to the better amp but I am more than happy with my system sound wise and that it is an all in one

However no speaker can be perfect for all songs you play, the Dali's have a slight shrill (sort of white noise) occasionally with the occasional song, and the Kef Q150's have a slight high pitched sound occasionally with the occasional song just for a split second or two

I am still keeping my excellent Dali Zensor 1's

Do you also rate Dali & Kef, what are your views ?

Last edited:

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
When I was dipping my toes into Hifi, my very first demo was with the Denon N9 paired with Wharfedale 220 speakers, Q Acoustic Concept 20's and Dali Z1's /Z3's. I really enjoyed the N9 with the Concept 20's & 220's, Upstairs the dealer had a pair of KEF LS50's connected to a Rega Elex-r and Audiolab CD player. I was blown away by the detail. He also connected a pair of Dali Floorstanders to a Roksan amplifier and the Audiolab CD player.

On my way out of the dealers, he kindly set up a Marantz CD6005 and PM6005 amplifier back downstairs. I really lked the Marantz combo with the budget speakers.

In the end I bought the Ruark R4 all in one for my kitchen, after a brief comparison with the N9/Concept 20's. I saved up extra cash and purchased the Marantz CD6005 with the better Marantz PM8005 amplifier. Cash was tight, so to get me up and running, I purchased the KEF Q150's. Great little speakers, but I could never quite get that first demonstration out of my head with the KEF LS50's. So I upgraded my speakers to the LS50's and added a Cambridge CxN V2 streamer to the chain. Very happy with my current setup

I was not a fan of the treble on the Z1.. I found the bass to much on the Z3's and the Floorstanders. Dali's sonic flavour was not for me.. The KEF Q150's had a better balance to my ears over the budget Dali range. From further tests with my Marantz combo, I have found Tannoy and KEF to be an excellent match.

I got great results with your N9 paired with both the Wharfedale and Q Acoustic speakers.

Reactions: Gray

manicm

I have got my Denon Ceol N9 now connected up to some Kef Q150's and they sound even better than the excellent Dali Zensor 1's I have been using for the last 6 years, the sound is bigger and more open and can go louder within its comfort zone, and gives everything more space to breathe

I have even heard a system with a separate amplifier connected to some Kef LS50's and it sounded amazing, that is down mainly to the better amp but I am more than happy with my system sound wise and that it is an all in one

However no speaker can be perfect for all songs you play, the Dali's have a slight shrill (sort of white noise) occasionally with the occasional song, and the Kef Q150's have a slight high pitched sound occasionally with the occasional song just for a split second or two

I am still keeping my excellent Dali Zensor 1's

Do you also rate Dali & Kef, what are your views ?

Is there a slight HF roll off with the Q150 as reviews suggest? What’s the clarity like?

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Is there a slight HF roll off with the Q150 as reviews suggest? What’s the clarity like?

The thing with reviews is they can contradict each other, but myself I find the Kef Q150's are excellent with great HF and clarity (Smooth treble but detailed), you need to try them yourself of course to see if you like them

Reactions: Al ears

Cloodie

Jul 11, 2020
Visit site
I have Dali Spektor 2's with my Ceol 9 and think they sound great. I haven't had them up at a volume I would really like yet though. Keep waiting for the neighbours to disappear for a weekend somewhere first :)

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I have Dali Spektor 2's with my Ceol 9 and think they sound great. I haven't had them up at a volume I would really like yet though. Keep waiting for the neighbours to disappear for a weekend somewhere first :)

Yes I am sure your speakers sound really good just like my Dali Zensor 1 speakers, I alternate between these and my Kef Q150's

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Yes I am sure your speakers sound really good just like my Dali Zensor 1 speakers, I alternate between these and my Kef Q150's
What differences do you find between the Dalu and Kefs? I run Kef iq10s and not convinced in placing the tweeter in the throat of the woofer. Personally I found the treble, for example, reproducing hi-hat cymbals lacks attack

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
What differences do you find between the Dalu and Kefs? I run Kef iq10s and not convinced in placing the tweeter in the throat of the woofer. Personally I found the treble, for example, reproducing hi-hat cymbals lacks attack

The Kef Q150's are more detailed than the Dali Zensor 1's and have more bass, but the Dali Zensor 1's sound more warmer and more musical

I think the Kef Q150's are a more revealing speaker of your source recording and amplifier, but give it a good source recording and these speakers sound really good and more true to life sounding

However the Dali Zensor 1's with a good source will also sound really good as well, again more warmer and musical with a little less detail and bass

I think both of these speakers are excellent and both punch way above their weight

Discontinued Dali's were £200
The current Dali Oberon 1's sound virtually the same as the discontinued Dali Zensor 1's with slightly more bass, could also try the current Dali Spektor 2's

Current Kef's £400

(I have also tried the Wharfedale Diamond 220's & Q Acoustics 3020i's, and was not impressed by either of these)

Last edited:
Reactions: Edbostan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts