Crossover Settings on Monitor Audio RX6AV12

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi. I hope someone can advice me of the crossover settings om the speakers RX6AV12.

Just bought an Onkyo TX-NR709 and did the Audyssey setup.
It set my speakers crossovers to:

Front: 40Hz
Center: 40Hz

Surround: 80Hz (THX)
LFE lowpass: 120Hz

I like the sound but is it possible to tweak the sound even better?

I can think that the crossover settings on the fronts and center is a bit low?
What about the subs LFE lowpass setting? Ok?

A

Anonymous

Using relative audiosettings (0=maximum) I am using about 25-18dB for Movies.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I would say about 60Hz for the RX6's, 80Hz for the centre and surrounds, with a crossover point of 70Hz for the sub. Or, if you'd like to keep the crossover points universal, try 80Hz all round, with an 80Hz sub crossover point.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I would say about 60Hz for the RX6's, 80Hz for the centre and surrounds, with a crossover point of 70Hz for the sub. Or, if you'd like to keep the crossover points universal, try 80Hz all round, with an 80Hz sub crossover point.

There is not possible to set the crossover point for the sub to 70Hz. The lowest setting is 80Hz in the receiver menu.

Sliced Bread

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Why wouldn't you set the sub to 120 lfe level. Aren't you losing much of the .1 signal or would 120 to 70 Hz be routed back up to the satellites, just as bass signals to the sats are sent down to the sub?

A

Anonymous

I already have the sub setting to 120Hz after Audyssey setup. I asked here for even better settings if there are any.
FrankHarveyHiFi was kind and replied with suggestion to set the sub LFE to 70Hz in a post above.
But maybe 120Hz is the best setting.

Sliced Bread

Sorry LFN, my question was more for David, but this may be of interest.

I have since been reading up on lowpass filters for the lfe channel and it seems that the subwoifer setting will filter.out and discard any material above the set frequency. So if you set it to 80hz you will lose anything in the recording sent to the LFE (.1 channel) above this frequency. As far as I can tell it is not redirected.

There seems to be two schools of thought:
1) set it to 80hz (or other depending upon room acoustics). Sounds above this point are easy to localized in the room, so your sub may become a point source IF the sound mix contains info above 80hz. It is considered that if there is sound above this point then it is a mistake on behalf of the sound mixer and therefore should be discarded.

2) set it to 120hz. If there is bass there above 80hz then it is intentional and there for a reason.

One other point. Audyssey does not measure and set lowpass filter. It seems to default it to 120hz as a rule.

Not sure where I stand on this...I guess the only way to know is to find some films you know have 80 to 120hz in the lfe and see what you prefer...no idea how you find this though.

This is all pretty new info to me, so i would be nterested to hear other peoples opinions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts