Criticise your own brand/s

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
busb said:
I can with find fault with virtually anything I own & myself if I try hard enough!

Mac Mini -> Produced for cheap by human slaves in factories with suicide nets for having the pleasure to buy it overpriced in some kind of hugly store were peoples are forced to smile under threat of loosing their job if they don't.

Your are welcome.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
busb said:
I can with find fault with virtually anything I own & myself if I try hard enough!

Mac Mini -> Produced for cheap by human slaves in factories with suicide nets for having the pleasure to buy it overpriced in some kind of hugly store were peoples are forced to smile under threat of loosing their job if they don't.

Your are welcome.

I think the idea is to criticise one's own brands rather than slagging off other people's choices, matey. Someone, somwwhere can always find fault if they look hard enough which was the point of the part you quote.

busb said:

Lets start with my new Quadral CS 8 speakers: the terminals are too close to the cabinet so my screw-tighten Atlas 4mm plugs don't clear the label because they don't fit on-axis. The built-in platforms are unspiked. The high-gloss finish shows the dust under bright sunlight. Do I care? Nope - not only are they virtually faultless for the price, they are extremely well-built.

My even newer Primare Pre32 gets warmer than my matching power amp & emits an audible hum - more concerning.

The CA azur751BD blanks the picture to noise every so often & is well outside its warranty. I have to power it down then back up so pretty ennoying.

My audiolab M-DAC ocassionally looses the sound to white noise or very heavy dfistortion.

I think I'll leave computing & playback software out of this thread.

If your Pre32 gets hot and hums I would get it checked out as mine never did.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
busb said:

Lets start with my new Quadral CS 8 speakers: the terminals are too close to the cabinet so my screw-tighten Atlas 4mm plugs don't clear the label because they don't fit on-axis. The built-in platforms are unspiked. The high-gloss finish shows the dust under bright sunlight. Do I care? Nope - not only are they virtually faultless for the price, they are extremely well-built.

My even newer Primare Pre32 gets warmer than my matching power amp & emits an audible hum - more concerning.

The CA azur751BD blanks the picture to noise every so often & is well outside its warranty. I have to power it down then back up so pretty ennoying.

My audiolab M-DAC ocassionally looses the sound to white noise or very heavy dfistortion.

Warm rather than hot & I'll monitor the hum - it does seem quieter than from new.

Thanks for the heads up AE, appreciated.

busb said:
Al ears said:
busb said:

Warm rather than hot & I'll monitor the hum - it does seem quieter than from new.

No problem

It's a very nice piece of kit especially with your power amp. Keep an eye on it as it doesn't sound quite right to me. Unusual really as their QC is normally exceptional.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
busb said:
Al ears said:
busb said:

No problem

It's a very nice piece of kit especially with your power amp. Keep an eye on it as it doesn't sound quite right to me. Unusual really as their QC is normally exceptional.

Will do. The Pre32 is about the only piece of stereo gear that I haven't been that excited about owning because I haven't noticed (or wasn't really expecting) that much of an increase of SQ over driving my power amp directly from my from my M-DAC. However, I now can add a record deck without converting to digital then back again. So was a speculative purchase in a way, albeit not a cheap one.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Crap volume dial, noisy to operate by remote especially and sometimes by hand. Massively diappointed and has resulted in the decision that I will never buy another Roksan product, I expect better.

Pioneer N50 network player, great sound, but the biggest pain was the woeful control app and the refusal of Pioneer to continue with any meaningful firmware updates, Useless, horrible, hard to use black lump of a remote, Again, last Pioneer product I will purchase,

Pro-ject Xpression turntable, (as touched on previously by another member) bland and uninspiring to look at. I like some cosmetic character in my components.

Sixtyten

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Over the past 7 years or so, my opinion of Denon / Marantz products has changed from being very positive, to thinking they are a bundle.Now, this isn't based on some nebulous feeling about their stuff, but rather on actual experience. Things started to go pear shaped with my DV7001.

Of course it fitted the bill, DVD, DVDA, CD and SACD and it was (or so it seemed initially) a helluva a step up from my old Pioneer 565.

Or so I thought.

After a period it stopped playing CDs. I'd had it 8 months. Backwards and forwards it went between me, the dealer and Marantz's service agents. Eventually the retailer intervened, and after paying a few pounds to make up the difference, I was upgraded to a Denon DBP2012.And then the horror really started. It skipped entire tracks when playing CDs. It hung on SACD playback. It made a loud clicking noise when changing tracks on the SACD layer. Back it went. First time it was returned no fault found, second time, no fault found, third time? They replaced the entire disc mechanism as it had mysteriously worn out.I should have stood my ground and demanded a refund, but I thought "it's a one off"

Roll forward to 2014. My trusty old Rotel gave up the ghost. Checked the reviews. That Marantz PM6005 looked the deal.

How wrong I was. The optical port at the back fell off after 9 months. The resultant repair by Marantz (which took 3 months) introduced a buzz through the headphone output. Their further attempt to fix the buzz (another 2 months) saw the amp come back to me with a new fault. They'd completely killed it. Of course the retailer replaced it. With one which had a buzz through the headphone socket. Something Marantz refused to acknowledge as a problem. Yet again, and in face of Marantz's refusal to do anything, theretailer stepped up the plate and let me upgrade to an Arcam A19.

Of course the A19 doesn't have a built in DAC, and the Arcam one doesn't support DSD. Which brand does? A quick check and the Denon DA300 seemed to fit the bill. Surely this would work without incident?Well it did, and I will freely admit that it is beezer. Much better than the begrudging review What HiFi gave it. Then, over the last three months, it started dropping out. Then it started disconnecting itself from my PC.A replacement USB cable didn't resolve things, nor did repeated reinstalls of the drivers. This week, it finally gave up the ghost.

It is 7 months old. A replacement is in the post. I wonder how long it will work before it fails as well

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Sixtyten said:
Over the past 7 years or so, my opinion of Denon / Marantz products has changed from being very positive, to thinking they are a bundle.Now, this isn't based on some nebulous feeling about their stuff, but rather on actual experience. Things started to go pear shaped with my DV7001.

Of course it fitted the bill, DVD, DVDA, CD and SACD and it was (or so it seemed initially) a helluva a step up from my old Pioneer 565.

Or so I thought.

After a period it stopped playing CDs. I'd had it 8 months. Backwards and forwards it went between me, the dealer and Marantz's service agents. Eventually the retailer intervened, and after paying a few pounds to make up the difference, I was upgraded to a Denon DBP2012.And then the horror really started. It skipped entire tracks when playing CDs. It hung on SACD playback. It made a loud clicking noise when changing tracks on the SACD layer. Back it went. First time it was returned no fault found, second time, no fault found, third time? They replaced the entire disc mechanism as it had mysteriously worn out.I should have stood my ground and demanded a refund, but I thought "it's a one off"

Roll forward to 2014. My trusty old Rotel gave up the ghost. Checked the reviews. That Marantz PM6005 looked the deal.

How wrong I was. The optical port at the back fell off after 9 months. The resultant repair by Marantz (which took 3 months) introduced a buzz through the headphone output. Their further attempt to fix the buzz (another 2 months) saw the amp come back to me with a new fault. They'd completely killed it. Of course the retailer replaced it. With one which had a buzz through the headphone socket. Something Marantz refused to acknowledge as a problem. Yet again, and in face of Marantz's refusal to do anything, theretailer stepped up the plate and let me upgrade to an Arcam A19.

Of course the A19 doesn't have a built in DAC, and the Arcam one doesn't support DSD. Which brand does? A quick check and the Denon DA300 seemed to fit the bill. Surely this would work without incident?Well it did, and I will freely admit that it is beezer. Much better than the begrudging review What HiFi gave it. Then, over the last three months, it started dropping out. Then it started disconnecting itself from my PC.A replacement USB cable didn't resolve things, nor did repeated reinstalls of the drivers. This week, it finally gave up the ghost.

It is 7 months old. A replacement is in the post. I wonder how long it will work before it fails as well

You have had a bad time for sure.

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Volume control with remote of the TEAC.

When I look into the flowport of my 685 S2's, I see the insulationmaterial. Not looking nice. And the holes of the speakergrill's when they're off.

K

keeper of the quays

Sixtyten said:

Or so I thought.

After a period it stopped playing CDs. I'd had it 8 months. Backwards and forwards it went between me, the dealer and Marantz's service agents. Eventually the retailer intervened, and after paying a few pounds to make up the difference, I was upgraded to a Denon DBP2012.And then the horror really started. It skipped entire tracks when playing CDs. It hung on SACD playback. It made a loud clicking noise when changing tracks on the SACD layer. Back it went. First time it was returned no fault found, second time, no fault found, third time? They replaced the entire disc mechanism as it had mysteriously worn out.I should have stood my ground and demanded a refund, but I thought "it's a one off"

How wrong I was. The optical port at the back fell off after 9 months. The resultant repair by Marantz (which took 3 months) introduced a buzz through the headphone output. Their further attempt to fix the buzz (another 2 months) saw the amp come back to me with a new fault. They'd completely killed it. Of course the retailer replaced it. With one which had a buzz through the headphone socket. Something Marantz refused to acknowledge as a problem. Yet again, and in face of Marantz's refusal to do anything, theretailer stepped up the plate and let me upgrade to an Arcam A19.

Of course the A19 doesn't have a built in DAC, and the Arcam one doesn't support DSD. Which brand does? A quick check and the Denon DA300 seemed to fit the bill. Surely this would work without incident?Well it did, and I will freely admit that it is beezer. Much better than the begrudging review What HiFi gave it. Then, over the last three months, it started dropping out. Then it started disconnecting itself from my PC.A replacement USB cable didn't resolve things, nor did repeated reinstalls of the drivers. This week, it finally gave up the ghost.

It is 7 months old. A replacement is in the post. I wonder how long it will work before it fails as well
blimey that's terrible...problems I have with my cd players are just irritating...but they always play the cd eventually..really shabby service from manufacturers..

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
this is a really good thread.. first hand experience and a good read for anyone looking for next purchase, although mostly older gear still says quite a lot about the brand and quality control/ design flaws.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:
this is a really good thread.. first hand experience and a good read for anyone looking for next purchase, although mostly older gear still says quite a lot about the brand and quality control/ design flaws.
Unless their issue is a one off though - just because one person has had a bad experience with a manufacturer or a product, it doesn't mean others will. I certainly wouldn't discount a product from audition/consideration just because one person had a bad experience.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
this is a really good thread.. first hand experience and a good read for anyone looking for next purchase, although mostly older gear still says quite a lot about the brand and quality control/ design flaws.?

Going to demo avi tomorrow will let you know. Sorry op

K

keeper of the quays

David@FrankHarvey said:
lpv said:
this is a really good thread.. first hand experience and a good read for anyone looking for next purchase, although mostly older gear still says quite a lot about the brand and quality control/ design flaws.?
Unless their issue is a one off though - just because one person has had a bad experience with a manufacturer or a product, it doesn't mean others will. I certainly wouldn't discount a product from audition/consideration just because one person had a bad experience.
the only positive thing I take from this lamentable hifi misery is the retailer being helpful..guess the lesson is find good retailer!

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
lpv said:

You are right but if we don't post our experiences then a trend can never be established.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:

thanks Andrew.. can't wait to hear your opinion.. I may be going in next two weeks or so..

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
You are right but if we don't post our experiences then a trend can never be established.
On the flipside, you may invent a "trend" that wasn't there in the first place, bringing unecessary negative attention to a brand. But, people like to moan, so hey, knock yourself out! :)

K

keeper of the quays

David@FrankHarvey said:
Gazzip said:
You are right but if we don't post our experiences then a trend can never be established.?
On the flipside, you may invent a "trend" that wasn't there in the first place, bringing unecessary negative attention to a brand. But, people like to moan, so hey, knock yourself out! :)
I don't think it's unreasonable of the op to voice his feelings, think he has good reason to "moan"

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
Andrewjvt said:
lpv said:

?

thanks Andrew.. can't wait to hear your opinion.. I may be going in next two weeks or so..

Had to cancel.as 5ways in birmingham have no stock but have asked on avi forum and ashley james has invited me to factory if noone in area

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Had a dead channel from the start, sent back for repair, came back and worked. Catches fire in his third month. Needed 9 months of repair in England and... some muscular behavior of myself for beeing repaired. Now works, but looks like directly taken out of a Mad Max movie.

But please, don't understand me wrong, when he works, the sound is magic. For that sound, he could catch fire a second time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts