Criticise your own brand/s

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Noisy power supplies, the kind you can hear from across the room, which you have to unplug to silence. Off does not mean off.

Stupid updating/configuring process using SD cards even though it is network connected.

Updating the master unit means updating the slave unit which means popping both SD cards. Difficult/impossible if you don't have good rear access.

No volume control pot on the unit. All done via remote which has no volume level display.

No balanced inputs making source placements difficult in some (my) environment. Not good enough these days on a product costing that much.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Noisy power supplies, the kind you can hear from across the room, which you have to unplug to silence. Off does not mean off.

Strange, my Devialet is dead silent. It's not a ground loop, is it?

I do agree on the update procedure and the display (you'd have to wallmount the amp for the display to be useful -- using the app could be an alternative, I guess, though for some reason I never did).

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
Gazzip said:

I do agree on the update procedure and the display (you'd have to wallmount the amp for the display to be useful -- using the app could be an alternative, I guess, though for some reason I never did).

It makes a high pitched "agitated" whistling sound if that makes any sense?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
The bottom mounted speaker terminals on the Q Acoustics 2020i.  A pain in the neck.  Thankfully they've seen the light on the new 3000 series and put them on the back panel where they belong.

**** i am using 2020is now and its a pain.

They sound very good though

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Build quality is utter poo.

Carry on.

Build quality is any better on the lsr7 series? Also do they have a sub and center to compliment them?

Sorry op

Far better than any sub 1K studio actives. The 7s are built to last, the 3s are cheap and cheerful.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
Remote controls!

Surely it's not that difficult to make a decent remote. Especially when paying over a grand for a component.

The Moon remote is horrid.
A unique remote designed specifically for one component could add quite a lot to the retail cost of a unit. Yes, it's nice to have a snazzy remote, but it's like a display - it has a job to do, but isn't important in the grand scheme of things. Sound quality is first and foremost with some manufacturers, and more are producing control apps for phones and tablets, which are more in depth, and add little cost to a unit. They can then add a relatively cheap remote for the dwindling amount of those that prefer to use one.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
Gazzip said:

My Dev 200 is dead quiet too. I mean totally silent, even with my ear virtually on the powered up device...

Gazzip, I'd be on to Devialet pronto. Something's not right..

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
The bottom mounted speaker terminals on the Q Acoustics 2020i. A pain in the neck. Thankfully they've seen the light on the new 3000 series and put them on the back panel where they belong.

Yeah I hated the terminals on the Q Acoustics 1010i speakers too.

A real PITA.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I've had a Linn Majik DSM for about 4 years now and it sounds brilliant.

However, there's no Spotify Connect. Why? No idea. Probably because of bit rate but it's short sighted and supports the impression that Linn sometimes do not do mainstream. There again, the reason may be contractual but most similar products do provide Spotify.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Marantz amp volume dial you can never tell how far your got the volume up unless you go upto the amp and have a look . My Dali opticon's came with floor spikes but no proper rubber feet only this cheap rubbish ones that you stick on so ended up buying floor shoes for the spikes problem solved

D

Deleted member 108165

Sennheisser RS220's. They were okay'ish when I first got them, (SQ a bit like a wireless HD598), but now the drop-outs in the signal are appalling and they hardly get used. I can now see why Senn dropped them from their range.

Finish on my PMC's is horrendous, but who cares about looks when they perform so sublimely.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree with an earlier post about the RRP of Accuphase gear in the UK, but if I had the money I'd still buy their top of the range amps, it's so well made and fantastic sounding.

No power switch on the Sonos and the remote for the EMC1UP is lightweight plastic, but I guess it does the job and it's such a brilliant CDP, I forgive them.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
on my last amp (Musical Fidelity KW500) using the remote to change volume was more luck than gudgement when at low volume one tuch of the button would make the volume jump way too much, only by hand could you get the volume you wanted. My Leema Tucana 2 is much better.

alan harknett

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
1. battery life on the new remotes, remote back lighting comes on at the slightest movement and runs down the batteries why no turn off light switch ?

2. when loading cds the noise of the loading operation

3. no head phone socket

4. silly rubber feet

5. lucky Cyrus sounds so good or they would go under.......

6. firmware update procedure/return to shop.

K

keeper of the quays

cheyworth said:
on my last amp (Musical Fidelity KW500) using the remote to change volume was more luck than gudgement when at low volume one tuch of the button would make the volume jump way too much, only by hand could you get the volume you wanted.  My Leema Tucana 2 is much better.
does your leema sound better? I am now the owner of a quad cdp2 and it takes a bit of jiggling to get it to play a cd..sometimes it just stops for no reason! Lol..but it sounds so good that it's idiosyncrasy I'll put up with! I have a Marantz 6000ose..it hums! .my mission pcm7000 hums too! But sounds good..so I put up with it...my roksan cd player won't read first track of any cd..grrrr it sounds ok..like Marantz it's in attic..my musical fidelity b1 makes crackly noises when using volume..not very well isolated inside..i can hear music through other inputs but it's sound is fab..ill never get rid of it..my musical fidelity htp remote is a bit hit and miss but the mf pre amp is so good!! My mate got three and a half thousand pound of cd transport and dac going through his htp6000..htp showing no qualms at all? So if the kit sounds good..ill forgive it's foibles..

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
the tucana on its own was a bit behind the MF in terms of bass power/extention as you would expect with over 500w on tap. what the leema does much better is timing, midrange, speed, and most importantly soundstage. Adding the Hydra to biamp has given the bass extention back and improved everything else even more. the pair give the control and power the PL300's deserve.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Sonos PLAY:1 - no aux input

In general: over-engineered and overpriced remotes ... I don't need something costing £100 and made from milled aluminium or hardwood, especially when it controls only the one device. I always use a generic learning remote with LCD display to control all my audio equipment. The fancy remote that came with each hifi component stays in the box. Equipment should come with a cheap remote to keep the price down, if you want the fancy overpriced one, you should be able buy it as an optional accessory.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I can with find fault with virtually anything I own & myself if I try hard enough!

Lets start with my new Quadral CS 8 speakers: the terminals are too close to the cabinet so my screw-tighten Atlas 4mm plugs don't clear the label because they don't fit on-axis. The built-in platforms are unspiked. The high-gloss finish shows the dust under bright sunlight. Do I care? Nope - not only are they virtually faultless for the price, they are extremely well-built.

My even newer Primare Pre32 gets warmer than my matching power amp & emits an audible hum - more concerning.

The CA azur751BD blanks the picture to noise every so often & is well outside its warranty. I have to power it down then back up so pretty ennoying.

My audiolab M-DAC ocassionally looses the sound to white noise or very heavy dfistortion.

I think I'll leave computing & playback software out of this thread.

Edbo2

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Enjoy my Cyrus One but have enjoyed it more since I use it with Sonos Connect. The Equaliser settings have tamed the treble and increased the bass while maintaining the clarity of the midrange

TRENDING THREADS