Crackling from Cyrus system

Roman Totale

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, My Cyrus system has recently been making a crackling sound, it varies in volume but the loudest level is getting louder. it's there across sources (CD and optical digital input from Mac/itunes), and coming out both speakers. As I'm using right and left power amps, the most likely culprit is the DAC XP pre-amp.

Anyone got any suggestions as to: what might be wrong; and if there's anything I can safely try before sending it back to Cyrus. Also do I risk damaging it by carrying on using it?

Cyrus charge £225 for a service - if it needs to be done it needs to be done, but I'd rather not.

Thanks.

Any other clues? Eg, does it happen more when warm or just after switching on? Is it loud enough to get audible over the music, or only when not playing anything? Have you tried unplugging everything and reinserting?

A background rustling noise, not unlike leaves blowing in a breeze, is typical of some sort of component breakdown (I'd hesitate to say what type).

K

keeper of the quays

There was a old post from someone who literally took top of amp..sprayed switch cleaner everywhere! Then used a soft brush to clean or if you will wipe all the components! Then left it for a few hours for cleaner spray to evaporate...of course take the plug out of wall first and keep away from capacitors! Might be worth a go? If it were me i would give it twelve hours dry time..sounds crazy but the poster who did this thought it effective..be careful though..make double sure its unplugged..

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Roman Totale said:
Hi all, My Cyrus system has recently been making a crackling sound, it varies in volume but the loudest level is getting louder. it's there across sources (CD and optical digital input from Mac/itunes), and coming out both speakers. As I'm using right and left power amps, the most likely culprit is the DAC XP pre-amp.

Anyone got any suggestions as to: what might be wrong; and if there's anything I can safely try before sending it back to Cyrus. Also do I risk damaging it by carrying on using it?

Cyrus charge £225 for a service - if it needs to be done it needs to be done, but I'd rather not.

Thanks.

Depending on the age of the equipment, quite possibly a capacitor in the power supply circuitry of the pre amp going bad (it would need to be part of the circuit common to both channels). Relatively easy fix if you know what you are doing, but if not, I would send it straight back.

Roman Totale

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
Any other clues? Eg, does it happen more when warm or just after switching on? Is it loud enough to get audible over the music, or only when not playing anything? Have you tried unplugging everything and reinserting?

A background rustling noise, not unlike leaves blowing in a breeze, is typical of some sort of component breakdown (I'd hesitate to say what type).

Thanks nopiano - I wouldn't say the noise sounds like that, it's like listening to very scratchy vinyl. The noise comes and goes: for example I turned it on and it was quiet then I selected CD and it started crackling. I turned it back computer (I use AV option for this) and it was initially quiet, but the Mac had gone to sleep and when i touched the mouse - waking it up - it started crackling again.

Recently has been audible and noticeable in all but the most dense and loud music.

Roman Totale

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
andyjm said:
Roman Totale said:

Thanks.

Depending on the age of the equipment, quite possibly a capacitor in the power supply circuitry of the pre amp going bad (it would need to be part of the circuit common to both channels). Relatively easy fix if you know what you are doing, but if not, I would send it straight back.

Thanks andyjm, I think that model is maybe about 5ish years old - so not that old by Cyrus standards, but I suppose these things can go at any time. I did buy it secondhand - It seemed fine at first but perhaps the seller knew something was wrong.

I wouldn't try to fix it myself.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Its a common problem with older amps, cleaning fluid usually does the trick. Is it worse when you change the volume? £225 seems a lot to pay if its just needs a quick clean.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Once you've isolated the component causing it and If you really want to wholesale spray the interior with contact cleaner make at least sure its not one which has some form of lubrication.

A lot of surface mount components in modern cyrus and unless you have diagnostic/fault finding skills, I'd send it in for service/repair. Cyrus repairs are a bit more in-depth than some others, I am sure you have read their mission statements.

At the end it all boils down to how much the particular component is worth and/or how much you want to hang on to it.

TrevC

drummerman said:
Once you've isolated the component causing it and If you really want to wholesale spray the interior with contact cleaner make at least sure its not one which has some form of lubrication.

A lot of surface mount components in modern cyrus and unless you have diagnostic/fault finding skills, I'd send it in for service/repair. Cyrus repairs are a bit more in-depth than some others, I am sure you have read their mission statements.

At the end it all boils down to how much the particular component is worth and/or how much you want to hang on to it.

Mission statements LOL. Use Servisol, it can safely be squirted anywhere. Not much point in squirting it anywhere that has no contacts though.

Roman Totale

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Its a common problem with older amps, cleaning fluid usually does the trick. Is it worse when you change the volume? £225 seems a lot to pay if its just needs a quick clean.

Thanks BigH, I just checked and yes the crackling gets louder as you turn the volume up. In terms of the age of the amp, I've got much older amps in other rooms with great big vents on the top and no crackle, whereas the Cyrus has no apparent air vents for dust to get in. Still who knows what the previous owner might have done with it...

Roman Totale

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:

Thanks Drummerman, I'd have to spend an awful lot more than £225 to replace it with something of equal quality (to when it was working): the current version DAC XP Signature, which replaced it, is £2,995 so it probably is worth getting the one I've got fixed.

K

keeper of the quays

Its a long shot? But has anyone outside got a garden fire going? The sound of dry twigs burning make a crackle? Have a look out of the window..any smoke?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Roman Totale said:
drummerman said:

Thanks Drummerman, I'd have to spend an awful lot more than £225 to replace it with something of equal quality (to when it was working): the current version DAC XP Signature, which replaced it, is £2,995 so it probably is worth getting the one I've got fixed.

Me thinks so too. Cyrus replace any components which don't come up to original spec and apparently even replace functioning ones with better ones if available. They clean the unit, soak test it and give it fresh packaging. You also get a warranty with the repair. £230 may sound a lot but I certainly think its worth it for yours.

Hope you enjoy it again soon.

Roman Totale

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
Roman Totale said:
drummerman said:

Me thinks so too. Cyrus replace any components which don't come up to original spec and apparently even replace functioning ones with better ones if available. They clean the unit, soak test it and give it fresh packaging. You also get a warranty with the repair. £230 may sound a lot but I certainly think its worth it for yours.

Hope you enjoy it again soon.

Thanks Drummerman, that's sounding like the best course of action. Will get it taken to the shop when I get a chance.

Roman Totale

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
Its a long shot? But has anyone outside got a garden fire going? The sound of dry twigs burning make a crackle? Have a look out of the window..any smoke?

keeper of the quays - that was the first thing I thought of, but even I after I had poured cold water on it (not the amp) the noise was still there.

Roman Totale

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Roman Totale said:

Thanks.

Hi all, thanks for your help with this. The Cyrus dealer checked it and thought the DAC was away (it seemed not to crackle with analogue sources - which I hadn't tried). I wasn't too upset as i thought I'd get and upgraded DAC for my £225! In fact Cyrus diagnosed it as the power supply gone and replaced that.

An interesting point here is that I had added a PSX-R to the DAC, and it was probably not long after that the problem started. May just be coincidence, but anyone heard of such problems caused by PSX-Rs?

I think the PSX-R was 'reprocessed' stock.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Roman Totale said:
Roman Totale said:

Thanks.

Hi all, thanks for your help with this. The Cyrus dealer checked it and thought the DAC was away (it seemed not to crackle with analogue sources - which I hadn't tried). I wasn't too upset as i thought I'd get and upgraded DAC for my £225! In fact Cyrus diagnosed it as the power supply gone and replaced that.

An interesting point here is that I had added a PSX-R to the DAC, and it was probably not long after that the problem started. May just be coincidence, but anyone heard of such problems caused by PSX-Rs?

I think the PSX-R was 'reprocessed' stock.

When you plug a PSX-R in to a DAC XP/XP+ it directly feeds the analogue circuitry whilst the DAC's native power supply continues to feed the digital gubbins. I would say it is unlikely that the PSX-R could damage the XP's onboard PS. Sounds coincidental to me. Cyrus kit although built like an airliner's black box is pretty fragile in my experience and is prone to failure. Sounds great though!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts