Upgrading old system

mcostabox

Dec 30, 2021
Visit site
Hi All

I'm looking for some advice/comments on upgrading my 1992 system.

I have: Arcam Alpha 3 amp, Technics SL-PG400A CD player, Tannoy sixes 605 speakers and a Raspberry PI running moodeaudio software as a streamer/DAC, RCA connected to Arcam.

This was a good budget system back then but now it seems not as good as using my small portable Shanling M0 player...
Arcam volume knob also needs cleaning or replacement but besides that, all modules look like new.

I can't afford to replace all at once but only one in turn. At the end, I plan to spend arround 2000€ as it has to last another 30 years :)

Question is, which one to replace first and which good brand/model are within these price range?

I read about Cambridge Audio's Ax35 series , Marantz PM/CD 6007 and NAD C700 (ease of use but no CD player) but I'm a bit confused ;)
With NAD C700 I could even shutdown my raspeberry PI, which would be nice, but I read somewhere that people is using C700 as a desktop system and not as a living room system. Why?

As for speakers, I'm considering Wharfedale Diamond 12.3 or Dali Oberon 5.

As prices got substantial higher lately , I'll try to find pre owed/demo, opened box or amp/speaker combo to keep budget arround 2k.

Comments welcome,
Thank you

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

I'm looking for some advice/comments on upgrading my 1992 system.

I have: Arcam Alpha 3 amp, Technics SL-PG400A CD player, Tannoy sixes 605 speakers and a Raspberry PI running moodeaudio software as a streamer/DAC, RCA connected to Arcam.

This was a good budget system back then but now it seems not as good as using my small portable Shanling M0 player...
Arcam volume knob also needs cleaning or replacement but besides that, all modules look like new.

I can't afford to replace all at once but only one in turn. At the end, I plan to spend arround 2000€ as it has to last another 30 years :)

Question is, which one to replace first and which good brand/model are within these price range?

I read about Cambridge Audio's Ax35 series , Marantz PM/CD 6007 and NAD C700 (ease of use but no CD player) but I'm a bit confused ;)
With NAD C700 I could even shutdown my raspeberry PI, which would be nice, but I read somewhere that people is using C700 as a desktop system and not as a living room system. Why?

As for speakers, I'm considering Wharfedale Diamond 12.3 or Dali Oberon 5.

As prices got substantial higher lately , I'll try to find pre owed/demo, opened box or amp/speaker combo to keep budget arround 2k.

Comments welcome,
Thank you

30 years is a long time for the screen on the C700 to last, based on reviews and forum comments I'd say Marantz CD6007/PM7000N in the UK thats £1000 say 1100E so you can demo both pairs of speakers, I'd say Dali but for speakers you have to listen really.

Reactions: aversaurus

mcostabox

Dec 30, 2021
Visit site
30 years is a long time for the screen on the C700 to last, based on reviews and forum comments I'd say Marantz CD6007/PM7000N in the UK thats £1000 say 1100E so you can demo both pairs of speakers, I'd say Dali but for speakers you have to listen really.

I was joking about the next 30 years but your comment about screen durability is well thought! With that in mind, I found Bluesound’s Powernode and Technics SA-C600 to compare. Thanks!

abacus

If you are upgrading in bits, I would suggest you start with the amp first, as while this wont give you the biggest change (Speakers do that) you need something that can drive modern speakers well and can take full advantage of all the latest sources.
As mentioned above a dealer is your friend here, as buying blind is a recipe for disaster.

Bill

matthewpianist

Your Tannoys are capable of more than the Arcam Alpha 3 will be getting from them, and your Technics CD player is decent enough for now, so I agree with @abacus that you should turn your attention to the amp first.

If you are seriously looking at the next 30 years I would advise sticking with separate components rather than going for an all-in-one. If something does break outside warranty it will be much easier to get a reasonably priced repair. Also streaming will always have an element of flux as technology and license agreements change; much simpler to replace an outboard streamer than going back to the drawing board for a whole new all-in-one system.

The Marantz PM6007 is a strong option, as is the Audiolab 6000A. Both have DACs built-in, and the one in the Audiolab has certainly improved the sound of my Bluesound Node 2i streamer.

Visit a dealer and build a relationship with them so they can work with you as you work through the process of replacing your system.

Reactions: Noddy and WayneKerr

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
Visit a dealer and build a relationship with them so they can work with you as you work through the process of replacing your system.

Lots of good advice there. And I agree with the above but be careful. I went to one dealer, heard one speaker at about £1,000, then tried a PMC Twenty5.21i, and mentioned the latter sounded much better. They repeatedly told me I’d have to spend over £5,000 to beat the PMC. My view is that the PMC is greatly overpriced, and I believe they were trying to steer me to the ‘amazing’ PMC. In fact my LS50 Meta beats the PMC in my subjective opinion. I never had that at Seven Oaks, or Richer Sounds. It makes me wonder if PMC have high dealer margins, some products do for obvious reasons.

I guess the moral of the above is to be wary if a dealer favours a given system rather than just suggesting items in your price range suitable for your room.

matthewpianist

Lots of good advice there. And I agree with the above but be careful. I went to one dealer, heard one speaker at about £1,000, then tried a PMC Twenty5.21i, and mentioned the latter sounded much better. They repeatedly told me I’d have to spend over £5,000 to beat the PMC. My view is that the PMC is greatly overpriced, and I believe they were trying to steer me to the ‘amazing’ PMC. In fact my LS50 Meta beats the PMC in my subjective opinion. I never had that at Seven Oaks, or Richer Sounds. It makes me wonder if PMC have high dealer margins, some products do for obvious reasons.

I guess the moral of the above is to be wary if a dealer favours a given system rather than just suggesting items in your price range suitable for your room.

Absolutely. Your own ears must always be the ultimate judge, even if that goes against the dealer's opinion. The dealer is there to show you the options and fill in any knowledge gaps, you are there to make a decision based on what you hear and your preferences. It's your money and you will be the one living with the system.

Reactions: WayneKerr and Noddy

gasolin

a streameer that could be used as a preamp, audiolab cd transporter active speakers like adam audio,eve audio,genelec,mackie,acoustics eenergy, used kef's ?

The rest for cable,stands or a few 100 pounds,euros on cable,stands

Last edited:

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
For streaming look at the Wiim Mini, about £80 new, but use the digital out, not the analogue out, as the DAC is mediocre.

As I said elsewhere, look out for packages at your local dealers, amp plus speakers, you can save hundreds of pounds that way.

The Bluesound Powernode is popular, many people think the amp and/or DAC can be bettered at the price, they might be mistaken. I tried the Powernode Edge, I did not like the sound, and I did not like the case, it looked like cheap plastic. But I’m not you, it might ring your bell.

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
a streameer that could be used as a preamp, audiolab cd transporter active speakers like adam audio,eve audio,genelec,mackie,acoustics eenergy, used kef's ?

The rest for cable,stands or a few 100 pounds,euros on cable,stands
An interesting suggestion but I would point out that the Eve Audio speakers are almost twice the price of the Acoustic Energy ones as they are sold as single units. As this would take up all of the op's budget alone, I don't think these are a viable option.

gasolin

They make other cheaper models, for some reason i thought it was £3000

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
They make other cheaper models, for some reason i thought it was £3000

Those are near field monitors designed for studio use. There are other brands too of course, such as Neumann. How do those monitors work when placed in a living room, for listening at greater distances?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts