Could be the DacMagic the right update for my Marantz setup ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello Forum ¡

I have this stereo setup:

Stereo Amp: Marantz PM 6003
CD Player: Marantz CD 6003

RCA Interconnect: Chord Crimson

Speakers: BW 685

Speaker cables: Supra PLY 3.4 (Biwired)

Stands: Partington Super Dreadnought

I’m pleased with the overall performance, but I consider the set up have a very neutral sound. Perhaps its only I’ve get used to the setup’s sound and is only a matter of perception... but I would like a wider and live midrange soundstage and a more intense treble. On the other hand I’m starting to hear Spotify’s music and the sound if you get it directly from the computer is very flat.

¿Do you consider the Dacmagic will improve the overall performance of my set up or do you think I could spend the money in other kind of update?. I ask this because I have been reading related posts in the forum, and they make clear the DacMagic improves the listening of streamed music form the computer but it is not clear at all that the D/A conversion of DacMagic is much better than the provided by the Marantz CD 6003.

Thanks a lot for your help. Kind Regards Forum.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Blackdawn, for you quick response. I have to try other cheaper changes first, because the speakers are part of B&W 685 Home Cinema, i have connect the preouts of my Marantz SR 5003 AV receiver to the PM 6003 amp and the 685 are the Front Left and Front Right speakers. In anycase, thanks for your advise !.

A

Anonymous

I second the opinion of trying a different set of speakers. The DacMagic will improve your digital inputs to a small extent (PC/iPod) but the Cirrus dac in the CD6003 is more than up to the job and it will only be a small improvement.

The strength of Marantz gear comes from the level of detail and open sound stage the rest is up to your speakers. I have found the Mourdant Short Aviano to be a beautiful pairing. Avoid bright speakers if you can, a monitor or warm speaker would give you what you are looking for. Also if you are using silver speaker cable coinsider copper as it will give you more mid range.

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Make sure to disable the "volume normalisation" option in Spotify. Also the 320kbps Premium offering is far better than the 160kbps Free version.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
spfrank:
Hello Forum ­

I have this stereo setup:

Stereo Amp: Marantz PM 6003
CD Player: Marantz CD 6003

RCA Interconnect: Chord Crimson

Speakers: BW 685

Speaker cables: Supra PLY 3.4 (Biwired)

Stands: Partington Super Dreadnought

I'm pleased with the overall performance, but I consider the set up have a very neutral sound. Perhaps its only I've get used to the setup's sound and is only a matter of perception... but I would like a wider and live midrange soundstage and a more intense treble. On the other hand I'm starting to hear Spotify's music and the sound if you get it directly from the computer is very flat.

¨Do you consider the Dacmagic will improve the overall performance of my set up or do you think I could spend the money in other kind of update?. I ask this because I have been reading related posts in the forum, and they make clear the DacMagic improves the listening of streamed music form the computer but it is not clear at all that the D/A conversion of DacMagic is much better than the provided by the Marantz CD 6003.

Thanks a lot for your help. Kind Regards Forum.

I'm not sure whether the CD6003 has a USB in that can be utilised by a pc? I remember reading that it did. If so play Spotify through your cdp. If not, yes the Dacmagic will improve your pc playback. I'm not sure it would add much to your cdp with CDs though.

As for changing your speakers, I think your set up is pretty well balanced. If you get better speakers you will find that you would want a better amp and source too.

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot stereophobia, i will not consider the DacMagic option. I have to think the speakers change because I have to keep the 685 homecinema setup, and if I add the new two speakers, my living room will looks like a discotheque (8 speakers). I have to try other things before.

Kind Regards

A

Anonymous

Hello a.g., I will try this and I'll tell you the results.... Thanks for your advise.

Kind Regards

A

Anonymous

Hello Gerrardasnails, I have been reading the CD 's manual and it did'nt say anything about PC connection, it can be connected to an usb media device, and to an Ipod. Like I said before the speakers change is my last option... I'll try to change the main cable and the main conditioner, and then i'll try other thinks... Like you say and i have readed in an other post, you have to stop or you will suffer the Upgraditys ....

Thankyou for your Advise. Kind Regards !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts