Should I repair my NAD C540 or buy something else? Advice needed.

gregorpi

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
My setup includes a Marantz PM-66 SE KI Signature integrated amp, CD player NAD C540 (not working) and a pair of B&W 602 S3 speakers. Tara Labs Prism 55 Interconnection cables for the CD and QED Silver Anniversary cables for the speakers.

My NAD C540 has broken down for the second time now. First time it was the laser unit and now I think it is the same thing. Same symptoms - it says “no disc”. Since the repair does not come cheap I have been using a Pioneer DV-450 DVD player as a CD player instead for a while.

DVD player sound quality does not compare to the NAD CD, so now I’m deciding between - to repair the NAD CD again or - to buy some other second hand CD player that is a tad more reliable instead. I read on various forums about NAD’s C540 laser issues, which is why I’m having second thoughts regarding repairs. I was thinking about buying a second hand Marantz CD-63 SE. How does it compare to the NAD C540? Is there some other CD player I could consider in the same quality/performance range as the NAD?

Thanks for your input.

the_master66

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Gregorpi,

I would make a change......the NAD has let you down twice, Marantz is a good choice - I would try to look for a CD6000 or even a CD6005 if budget allows.

Thanks

The_Master

gregorpi

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Marantz CD 6000 or 6005 are over my budget at the moment.

I could get a Marantz CD 63 SE for 100 EUR. But how does it compare to NAD C540?

Alternatively there is also one mint condition second hand Marantz DV 7010 DVD player. Read some good reviews about it. They say that stereo audio reproduction is on a decent level. Same or even better then CD 63 SE. It has a 24 bit/92 kHz DAC. NAD C540 has a Burr-Brown 24bit/196khz DAC. But I guess that DAC is not the only thing that makes a CD player sound great.

My Pioneer DV 470 also has a 24 bit / 196khz DAC. New questions arise. Are DVD's reproducing stereo sound any differently than dedicated CD players do? Why are DVD's not good CD players? Is it only a subjective feeling :)

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
If it's over budget just now I'd be inclined to wait until I'd saved up a bit before buying. You want something to last a long time and to get satifaction from and it's not really worth compromising for the sake of buying something now.

mightyquin

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking of basically replacing my CD player with a laptop - save all my CD's in lossless format to a dedicated laptop/hard drive and hook it up via a DAC to the amp.

I've been told that the sound quality will be better than a typical CD player due to the speed at which signals are processed and lack of moving parts, but I don't know if this is really the case.

I do like the idea of having all the music in one directory and ready to play (without searching for the actual CD!).

Worth thinking about?

the_master66

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
To you or me maybe but it all depends on gregorpi's personal circumstances - the additional £200 maybe beyond his reach.....he states that the 6000 and 6005 are both outside his budget in one of the posts....

Old Dex

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
gregorpi said:
I was thinking about buying a second hand Marantz CD-63 SE. How does it compare to the NAD C540?

The Marantz is a very old machine so you may just buy something that hasn't got much life left. Marantz after-sales care in the UK is poor for old kit, it may be better in Europe. The KI Sig deck is supposedly a huge improvement on the SE but you can't avoid its age.

I'd agree with saving for now & if you be content to use your DVD deck then do so until you spot a bargain.

iMark

mightyquin said:
I do like the idea of having all the music in one directory and ready to play (without searching for the actual CD!).

Worth thinking about?

We used to have a dedicated CD player in our system. Actually it is a CD/Minidisc deck. Since we already had most of our CDs as Apple Lossless files in the iTunes library and we also had a Pioneer universal DVD player, we decided to remove the Sony CD/MD deck from the system. (The Minidisk collection isn't extensive and I still have a portable player if I want to play a disc.)

About a year later we bought an Apple Airport Express and a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic. We stream all our music from the iTunes library to the DAC. Also all our TV sound is now routed via the DAC.

I have come to the conclusion that ripped CDs as ALAC files sound better than any CD player I have ever owned. As long as you use error correction when you rip the CDs. A nice DAC is much more versatile than a CD player. We have upgraded the Pioneer DVD player to a Sony Bluray player that also plays SACDs. If I really want to play a CD, I can still use the Bluray player for that.

We use an old iPad as the remote control for the iTunes library (which is in another room). We also stream Spotify through the DAC and that sounds pretty good too.

All our CDs are now stored in plastic storage boxes in the attic.

Connecting a laptop to a DAC would certainly work, but it's not very flexible. We like the fact that we can access the iTunes library through WiFi and don't need a pysical connection between the computer and the stereo.

You could of course look at one of those Yamaha CD players that have networking capabilities, like the CD-N301 (without WiFi adapter).

http://www.richersounds.com/product/cd-players/yamaha/cdn301/yama-cdn301-blk

gregorpi

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
DAC solution seems like a good idea. My Pioneer also has Digital Audio Out so I guess I could connect it via DAC and get better results. I have to take a look into it. I don't know much about DAC units. Any suggestions for one in "my other equipment quality range". I'm happy with the Marantz PM 66 KI signature and intend to keep it as long as it'll serve me.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
My Nad C540 died and is in the 'no disc' graveyard. Marantz cdp's are cheap sound great and in my experience don't break! I've had the 63ki sig which was very good but expensive (I bought it for £100 and sold it on for £200!!), the cd67 is a good buy and nearly as good as it's legendary predecessor (I have one as a back up). The CD6000's are also worth a look - my current player is a 6002 it cost me £60 is immaculate and sounds very very good.

Raidillon

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Dear Gregor,

I would stick to the idea of Marantz CD 6005, because it matches with your system, it's reliabe ( that model is made in Japan ) ratio price / sound / quality is top

And, also important, you won't have to look at another one before 20 years, which leaves you plenty of time listening to music without thinking at hifi gear.

Cheers,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts